Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kattion's Waifu

Wealthy Genius

7,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Well others say its good and others say its plain out bad. I say it depends.

When you exercise, the energy you expend comes from carbs. Exercising on an empty stomach means carbs will not be available, so your energy will come from elsewhere. The theory here is that the energy comes from stored fat. Exercising on an empty stomach is thought to lead to an increase in the proteins the body uses to metabolize fat. This strategy is most effective in the morning since it will have been several hours since your last meal. Because you have essentially fasted overnight no carbs will be present in your body to interfere with the metabolism of fat. Experts recommend that exercisers use this strategy only occasionally as a way to prime the body for fat burning.

BUT:
For best results exercisers should eat before a work out at least most of the time. Use these tips when choosing pre-work out eats:
•Avoid heavy meals prior to working out
•Opt for meals and snacks that include complex carbohydrates and protein
•Consume meals and snacks about 90 minutes before you plan to work out
•If you must have something to eat closer to your work out, go for things that are easily digestible such as fruit (bananas are always a great choice), an energy bar or 100% fruit juice.
•Remember that eating before a workout can speed up your post work out muscle recovery.

Ultimately, you do not want your work out to feel like a chore. You will enjoy it more, and almost certainly burn more calories, if you have adequate energy to give exercise your best effort. Go ahead and eat something before you work out at least most of the time.

Divine Zealot

Beautiful Rangiku
When you exercise, the energy you expend comes from carbs. Exercising on an empty stomach means carbs will not be available, so your energy will come from elsewhere. The theory here is that the energy comes from stored fat.

When you ingest carbs, they are whisked away to be stored in the liver and in the muscle tissues as glycogen. From there, your body will begin to metabolize them as needed, primarily from the liver. This liver supply is usually empty by time you wake up, in which case, it begins to use the supply from your muscles. However, the muscle supply is used for intense activity. A workout should be intense, so you're most likely going to be burning through this as well. This is where the energy comes from.

That said, it's up to preference. Some don't notice a change, others just like the morning pick-me-up.

Fashionable Phantom

I tend to exercise first thing in the morning, otherwise I know after work I won't feel like it, since I'll have been on my feet all day serving customers.

So I usually eat a Lärabar before a workout, then have my high-protein breakfast of bacon and eggs and a smoothie or veggie side afterwards.

The Lärabar is just a breaking of my fast... I find I get a bit too dizzy and whatnot if I workout after sleeping for 8 hours and no food.

c:

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
It's actually true.

Working out in empty stomach can ******** you up.
It's happened to me before.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Working out already makes me ravenous - working out on an empty stomach turns me into a human termite.

I was forced to do it at fat camp and it made my GI issues worse because those issues are exacerbated by what my body deems as excessive eating.
I dont see anything wrong with excersizing with an empty stomach. It makes me feel sick if i eat before.

Ruthless Trainer

16,050 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
if i try to work out on an empty stomach i feel faint and i have zero energy. so i cant really do it.

Dapper Ladykiller

fenix felicis
if i try to work out on an empty stomach i feel faint and i have zero energy. so i cant really do it.

Same. If I tried I would end up puking all over the gym. If I go to the gym on a full stomach, I sure as hell do not leave that way.
The truth is there is evidence on both sides to support doing this and not doing this. I personally find myself lacking energy if I go on an empty stomach, but that is just me. I went through a 6 month or so phase were I worked out first thing every morning and I cannot say that my results were any better or worse than working out now. I did notice that I would lift less when I went first thing in the morning. That was more the result of my body waking up than it was my body need energy.

Either way what you have said here is good sound advice for people. That does not mean a month or two of suddenly working out on an empty stomach won't help you break a plateau.

Friendly Millionaire

10,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Yesterday the twig was brown and bare; To-day the glint of green is there; Tomorrow will be leaflets spare;
User Image

heart

When i work out early in the morning, im hit or miss. Some weeks I feel like I could run on the treadmill or use the exercise bike all day or night long and certain weeks I feel like its a struggle just to get warmed up. sweatdrop

User Image
I know no thing so wondrous fair; No miracle so strangely rare; I wonder what will next be there!
~L.H. Bailey

Timid Informer

8,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I need to eat or drink something in the morning to help me remain focus on my goal.

I don't want to running and my tummy growling at me to eat something.
My mom is against eating breakfast in the morning. So after we work out I never really eat anything because I'm so tired. I basically crash in my bed after the workout. .-.

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
Where I do agree with you, I believe you should post more references on each subject for credibility.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff