Welcome to Gaia! ::

Frozen Fairy

I understand you need vegetables, but with the way our world is today, you walk into a supermarket and there are usually at least 15 options to choose from.

parsnips, carrots, celery, turnip, kale, sweet peppers, hot peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, squash, iceberg lettuce, spinach, romaine lettuce, leaf lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, snow pea, snap peas, bean sprouts, green beans, yellow beans(wax beans?),asparagus and beets are always in stock at my local supermarket. (wait. . .I named more than 20)

I mean, if your kid says carrots are gross and make him sick, feed him a different one. Chances are he's going to like one of those.

I mean, if your kid hates carrots but absolutely loves peppers, then why not give him peppers? He still gets all the nutrients he needs, but isn't eating something he hates.
Likewise, if your kid hates cooked vegetables, but likes them raw, then feed him raw vegetables(which are better for you anyway).

I don't see a point when forcing someone to eat food they hate when we have all these options.

If your kid says something makes him sick, then maybe it does. Give him something else.

I hate most when parents force their kids to eat unhealthy foods that he hates, like those Nature Valley bars. You should be thankful your kid doesn't like that unhealthy garbage, not mad at them for not eating it.
CAUSE IT'S GOOD FOR YOU DAMMIT.

No I totes understand. I hate when parents are like "you don't get your happy meal toy until you finish all your chicken nuggets." Like what the hell. I would reward my child with a toy for turning down mcnuggets.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
It's part of being a parent not a friend. There are other ways kids can get healthy foods like smoothies where they don't even know what they are drinking and they get all of the healthy vitamins without chomping on pills.

Frozen Fairy

Notorious Sailor Uranus
It's part of being a parent not a friend. There are other ways kids can get healthy foods like smoothies where they don't even know what they are drinking and they get all of the healthy vitamins without chomping on pills.

Unless the thing your kid hates is in smoothies.

I mean, if your kid is saying apples make them sick, and you give them a smoothie with apples in them, and they were telling the truth about apples making them sick, they're still going to get sick.

Feral Fatcat

4,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Magical Girl 50
tell the wolves
CAUSE IT'S GOOD FOR YOU DAMMIT.

No I totes understand. I hate when parents are like "you don't get your happy meal toy until you finish all your chicken nuggets." Like what the hell. I would reward my child with a toy for turning down mcnuggets.

Hahaha I love that! yeah, I would probably reward my kid for not wanting to eat mcdonalds too. smile I think the best way to get a child to eat something is to make things you and your child can eat together so that the kid sees you eating it and can be like, "well Mommy likes it, I might as well try it..."
My father was the same way. When he was a kid (and still to this day) he cannot eat many vegetables without hacking it all back up. His parents used to force him to eat them too, then punish him for throwing up everywhere. I guess my parents kinda learned to think like you. if there was something I didn't like they always found a way to make sure I got the stuff I needed without making any real big sacrifices.

Cat

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Gender Swap 100
I know one of my teachers back when I was in highschool
was telling about one of their friends that was a parent. Like
they still obviously wanted their child to eat vegetables, but
they weren't a big fan of them. What they would do, though, is
at least allow their child to choose between vegetables at least.
Like they were still forced to eat vegetables, but they at least
had a choice between 2 or 3 of them, rather than just one shoved
into their mouth to make them eat it. TBH Growing up, if my parents
just did that, rather than be like "if you dont eat this stupid vegetable"
stuff, i'd probably be more willing to eat it.

At least I got to choose the lesser of the two evils.

What pisses me off are the ******** cheap foods for children to help
parents give them food if they have to work and can't make dinner,
like kids cuisine, and it's only vegetable is corn. cORN DOES NOT HAVE
ANY NUTRIENTS IN IT BECAUSE YOU DON'T DIGEST IT. SO??? WHY DO
WE HAVE CORN AS THE ONLY VEGGIE IN THOSE FOODS. It's like
pudding, nuggets and then corn???????????????????????????

Shirtless Friend

8,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
You really have to stick it to the kids once in awhile,so they won't grow up deformed. nasty little things evil

Newbie Noob

Often times you need to acquire a taste for things. The first few tastes are bad until you get use to them. The first coffee you drink is bitter and gross, but your 1000th coffee hits the spot. And your 10,000 coffee is black.

Veggies are the same way. If you only eat canned green beans, then fresh green beans taste gross. because you expect that waxy stuff the can green beans have. It takes a while for a person to get accustom to the taste.

Turkey dogs taste gross as all heck, until you get a feel for them, then they're pretty good.

There are times to force your kids to eat something. I agree it can go the other extreme, but there are some things a parent has to do.
icicle weapon
Likewise, if your kid hates cooked vegetables, but likes them raw, then feed him raw vegetables(which are better for you anyway).
This is not always true, and usually overstated. Cooking DOES decrease overall vitamins, but not often times it just changes them to more easily digestible forms that the body would be doing anyways and the results are a wash.

Cooked carrots contain twice the vitamin A of uncooked carrots, because cooking carrots makes more vitamin A bioavailable.

Beloved Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
You forgot kohlrabi, jicama, avocados, and sweet potatoes. And if you shop in the Mexican supermarkets you also have chyote squash, cactus pads, cactus fruits, yucca... then there is asian markets.

Because that's how they were raised. And many people have only ever eaten a handful of vegetables and afraid to try new food. So they stick to the same 4 or 5 they were raised on, even if they and their kids hate them.

I am lucky and happy my mom raised us to be adventurous eaters.

Frozen Fairy

Slutty_Eddie
Often times you need to acquire a taste for things. The first few tastes are bad until you get use to them. The first coffee you drink is bitter and gross, but your 1000th coffee hits the spot. And your 10,000 coffee is black.

Veggies are the same way. If you only eat canned green beans, then fresh green beans taste gross. because you expect that waxy stuff the can green beans have. It takes a while for a person to get accustom to the taste.

Turkey dogs taste gross as all heck, until you get a feel for them, then they're pretty good.

There are times to force your kids to eat something. I agree it can go the other extreme, but there are some things a parent has to do.
icicle weapon
This is not always true, and usually overstated. Cooking DOES decrease overall vitamins, but not often times it just changes them to more easily digestible forms that the body would be doing anyways and the results are a wash.

Cooked carrots contain twice the vitamin A of uncooked carrots, because cooking carrots makes more vitamin A bioavailable.

Why is it so hard to let the kid eat them raw instead of cooked if that's how he likes them?

And I hate canned vegetables.

Frozen Fairy

Genociider Syo
I know one of my teachers back when I was in highschool
was telling about one of their friends that was a parent. Like
they still obviously wanted their child to eat vegetables, but
they weren't a big fan of them. What they would do, though, is
at least allow their child to choose between vegetables at least.
Like they were still forced to eat vegetables, but they at least
had a choice between 2 or 3 of them, rather than just one shoved
into their mouth to make them eat it. TBH Growing up, if my parents
just did that, rather than be like "if you dont eat this stupid vegetable"
stuff, i'd probably be more willing to eat it.

At least I got to choose the lesser of the two evils.

What pisses me off are the ******** cheap foods for children to help
parents give them food if they have to work and can't make dinner,
like kids cuisine, and it's only vegetable is corn. cORN DOES NOT HAVE
ANY NUTRIENTS IN IT BECAUSE YOU DON'T DIGEST IT. SO??? WHY DO
WE HAVE CORN AS THE ONLY VEGGIE IN THOSE FOODS. It's like
pudding, nuggets and then corn???????????????????????????

yeah, like the Gerber s**t is junk food.

Enduring Phantom

If you teach children to like healthy foods at young ages it encourages healthy habits as an adult.

Aged Sex Symbol

Because there are going to be times in everyone's life where you have to eat something you don't want to so you may as well teach your children to man the ******** up so when they're all grown up and they go to dinner parties they don't spit out food all over the table because it's "gross" and ask for something different.

I don't see the problem with forcing your kid to eat anything as long as it isn't bad for them.

Frozen Fairy

pallbearer
If you teach children to like healthy foods at young ages it encourages healthy habits as an adult.

if it makes them sick could mean they are intolerant, so best give them something else
they hate carrots but love peppers than give them peppers
they still get all the needed nutrition

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas