Welcome to Gaia! ::

olive buffet's Datemate

It's already been proven in multiple studies that gluten-intolerance doesn't actually exist, and that people with so-called gluten-intolerance actually have FODMAPs intolerance.
It is being diagnosed properly in Australia, but in North America it is not.

What gluten-intolerant people are actually intolerant to is the fibre in wheat, not to the protein(gluten).
The real problem with this is that, unlike gluten, FODMAPs appear in much more things than just wheat, barley, oats and rye.
They appear in onions and garlic.
They also appear in potatoes, which is what most gluten-free food is made of.
Likewise, inulin, a fibre added to most gluten-free foods, is pure FODMAPs.

FODMAPs intolerance is caused by eating too much sugar(fructose), and if not diagnosed properly and people continue eating high fructose and high fructan-foods, the disorder will manifest to fructose malabsorption where you can no longer eat most fruits and vegetables without getting violent diarrhea.

So why are we still misdiagnosing people?

Note: this is about gluten intolerance, not celiacs

Fluffy Wolf

14,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Edward 100
Interesting. I'm from North America so I don't think I've ever heard of FODMAP acronym or what it stands for (thank you wikipedia sweatdrop )

olive buffet's Datemate

Flygoedla
The studies disproving non-celiac gluten intolerance have proven nothing. Their sample sizes were around 7-30 people, and people were kicked out of the study.

I am not Celiac, but when I eat wheat, rye, and barley - I can tell you extremely bad things happen. I've spent the past year recovering from colitis, and lost 30 lbs from the inflammatory responses my body had.

I can eat garlic and potatoes just fine.

Whether it's the protein or the fiber, I don't know. All I know is, I avoid that stuff like the plague. I don't even do processed gluten-free products either. I just eat meat, veggies, dairy, fat, and whole starches.

FODMAPs intolerance causes horrible things to happen to you with wheat, rye, and oats.
the reason you need to make a distinction, is because FODMAPs exist in many different foods, and can escalate to fructose malabsorption if not treated appropriately.
So for people who assume that their wheat problems is gluten when it is FODMAPs will eat gluten-free "wheat" substitutes which are loaded in FODMAPs that will worsen the condition.

I was told I had gluten intolerance as well. I had full-blown fructose malabsorption. In some ways, maybe for the better, as I knew their diagnosis was wrong because I knew for a fact apples made me sick. But then it was bad, because I didn't know why I was sick. I just knew their diagnosis of gluten-intolerance was bullshit.

You don't want fructose malabsorption. It's in everything. If not being able to eat wheat is bad, imagine not being able to eat dairy, nuts, beans, apples, peas, okra, asparagus, pitted fruits, dried fruits, grape, alcohol, potatoes, root vegetables, squashes, whole grains, and any processed foods.

My diet consists of oranges, peppers, lemons, limes, pineapple, kiwi, celery, peppers, hot peppers, meat, fish, and eggs.
To make it worse, I have an on/off seafood allergy, so every once and a while I'll swell up after eating fish as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff