Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Girl

Hey guys, I don't regularly venture into this part of the forums but today has been a pretty bad day where I feel like I'm at an all time low.

Getting fit has been one of those things which has been on the top of my priority list, but forever the one thing where something always manages to get in the way. I dont have enough money to get a snazzy gym membership so I make do with Youtube videos and channels. A large sofa was placed in the room I would usually work out in, and the only remaining space is usually occupied by my brothers 8 month old and her toys - more often than not I'm the one babysitting for the majority of the week, so you can probably see where that goes. But when the space is free, I instantly jump on it to break out one of the videos or dvd's I have although it's inconsistent.

Today however, I got too brave, too fast. I broke out Insanity and some time into the warm-up after already being teary that morning I began to have a panic attack and ran to my room. My SO tends to do it with me, and he began demanding that I go back downstairs and complete the workout. I couldn't breathe, my throat burned and my legs had turned to jelly. When I told him I couldn't continue and didnt feel up to it he stormed off and slammed every door behind him...

I tried talking to him and he began to make it more about himself, saying that I'd blame him 'when I failed' and that I 'don't want it enough'. I told him I was doing my best considering the amount of things going on within my family (which is long standing and painful. But I want to support them in any way I can) He dismissed my efforts and flexibility when the space isnt available, as I'd usually opt for going on walks instead - with or without the baby.

I honestly feel like I've taken a gut punch, because a lot of what he said has that tell tale sign that he thinks I will never be thinner, more confident and healthier, and that he would make it more about himself when I've never once blamed him or the circumstances that we're all trapped in.

How am I supposed to get back on the horse after this? Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen to them? I cant help but feel that I'll always look and feel disgusting forever and I'm powerless to do anything about it. I want to feel empowered and in control. My diet isn't bad so I've already mastered that, but it's just the exercise.

Beloved Browser

The most important thing is that you believe in yourself, but it is important that you get
a bit of help from family and friends, nothing like encouragement.
About working out, take things slow then build up. And it's okay to take breaks, don't overload
yourself or it could seriously hurt you. And who says that you don't want to get fit and healthy enough? It doesn't have to be right there on the spot. I believe in you xd And trust I know how it feels to have no one believing in you. Keep trying! *hug* There will be mishaps along the way,
but there is nothing wrong with that!

My family are often very blunt and they will say things like "you're a big strong girl, very strong"
and I'm like...you don't think I don't know what you're saying? It's been like that for years. And literally about 2 months ago (because I wanted to) I started to change the way that I eat. I'm doing yoga and walking a lot more. I look in that mirror today and I'm happy : ) Down 18 pounds, skin is clearer and brighter, I breathe a lot better, etc, lul. And I'm hoping to keep this up for the rest of
my life.

Magical Girl

Mandeh Candeh
The most important thing is that you believe in yourself, but it is important that you get
a bit of help from family and friends, nothing like encouragement.
About working out, take things slow then build up. And it's okay to take breaks, don't overload
yourself or it could seriously hurt you. And who says that you don't want to get fit and healthy enough? It doesn't have to be right there on the spot. I believe in you xd And trust I know how it feels to have no one believing in you. Keep trying! *hug* There will be mishaps along the way,
but there is nothing wrong with that!

My family are often very blunt and they will say things like "you're a big strong girl, very strong"
and I'm like...you don't think I don't know what you're saying? It's been like that for years. And literally about 2 months ago (because I wanted to) I started to change the way that I eat. I'm doing yoga and walking a lot more. I look in that mirror today and I'm happy : ) Down 18 pounds, skin is clearer and brighter, I breathe a lot better, etc, lul. And I'm hoping to keep this up for the rest of
my life.

I wish you the best with your fitness journey! and thank you so much for the encouragement - I'll definitely keep trying!
Insanity is really hard though!! They don't call it "insanity" for nothing.. Work up to it slowly or modify the activities to suit you!! The key is staying motivated & not getting frustrated, imho.

When I started doing p90/p90x I couldn't do a pull up to save my life, so I just modified my activity and waited for the next set!

Sounds like he's overreacting, maybe even insecure.....? Get him to take his harsh vibes elsewhere!! Or, better yet, get him to join you as long as he'll be supportive. Support is what you need! That's one of the big factors people go to the gym, to be motivated by other people. Personally, I don't think it's necessary when I can follow along with videos on youtube for free mrgreen

But really though,
you are SO worth it. never forget that.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff