Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm 21 years old, 5' 5.5", and weight 146lbs.

So my current exercising routine is:

Monday - Lifting dumbells 15lbs, both arms, for an hour altogether, alternating reps. 3 mile run after.
Wednesday and Friday - Same dumbell lifting routine, 2 mile run after

I'd like to tone my arms, lose some fat in my belly before I start doing core exercises, and keep my legs in shape.

I plan on increasing my weights to either 20 or 25lbs this december because it's kind of getting easy with the 15lbs.

What do you think? Can I add more to my routine? Lessen it? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time smile

Original Gaian

It's hard to rate your routine when all you say is you are "lifting dumbells"

What exactly do you do? What exercise? Which group of muscles do you do? What is your diet? Supplements?
Nijesa Fersmo
It's hard to rate your routine when all you say is you are "lifting dumbells"

What exactly do you do? What exercise? Which group of muscles do you do? What is your diet? Supplements?
Sorry about that.

I only do bicep curls.
I do elevated push-ups, 10 reps per set, 3 sets before I begin my bicep curls.

My diet isn't really specific. I eat bad, I eat good, but never really consistent. I don't use supplements.

I don't expect any kind of drastic results so soon, but I'd just like to know how's my workout so far, and if I'd see results in maybe 6 months or so.

Popular Sex Symbol

i suggest working every part of the arms. like have a chest/back day. and a bicep/tricep day. or something. have different exercises for each. I recommend checking out this website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

it will help you find different workouts for your arms.

i also suggest doing core workouts right now instead of waiting, that way your abs will be there once you lose all the fat in your belly.

The Agnostic's Partner

Blessed Friend

Sake1000
I'm 21 years old, 5' 5.5", and weight 146lbs.

So my current exercising routine is:

Monday - Lifting dumbells 15lbs, both arms, for an hour altogether, alternating reps. 3 mile run after.
Wednesday and Friday - Same dumbell lifting routine, 2 mile run after

I'd like to tone my arms, lose some fat in my belly before I start doing core exercises, and keep my legs in shape.

I plan on increasing my weights to either 20 or 25lbs this december because it's kind of getting easy with the 15lbs.

So three days a week with cardio and some weights. That's not bad if you're just starting, but if you want to get serious you need a lot more.

First, you need more weight on those, I think. The proper way to lift for general purposes (assuming you're not looking to bulk like a pro) is to put on as much weight as you can do for 10 reps, and the last two of those should be a real, hard struggle.

Second, as Stuffed Lion already said, study up on all the different things you can do with your dumbbells and have different days where you work different muscle groups.

Third, you need squats in there, badly. Everyone needs to squat, always. Look up some videos on youtube on how to properly perform a weighted squat. It's best if you have a bar on your shoulders, but you can do it with dumbbells as well. The same principles apply as for lifting: the last two you squeeze out should be a struggle. If you don't almost fall into the toilet the next day after the first time you do 30 of these (in reps of 10), you didn't do it right.

Fourth, you do need to consider diet if you want results regarding fat loss (you'll still get toned and fit, though). That's a whole science in and of itself, but all I'll offer is this simple rule: eat a lot of protein and a moderate amount of good fats. Minimize carbs. I love bread and rice and pasta but those keep you fat.

I could probably say more, but that's a good start for now.

Newbie Noob

Sake1000

Terrible.

Your routine is terrible.

A good routine has three elements.

1. Progression. How do you get more weights / harder movements / etc.
2. Deload: When do you rest.
3. A goal: When does the program end? (Some programs, like 5/3/1 have no end, but they do have a way to tell when the program is no longer working for you)

Your program has lacks all of these.

25 pounds is even too little. I would suggest at this time to switch to bodyweight, since you don't have equipment to do really do weight training. Here is a good program

My suggestion is that Christmas is coming up. Buy a copy of starting strength and get a 300 pound olympic style barbell set. The stick with the program until you reach SS's goals. You will be strong.

Original Gaian

Stuffed Lion
i suggest working every part of the arms. like have a chest/back day. and a bicep/tricep day. or something. have different exercises for each. I recommend checking out this website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

it will help you find different workouts for your arms.

i also suggest doing core workouts right now instead of waiting, that way your abs will be there once you lose all the fat in your belly.
^This!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces