Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Prophet

So, I am wondering how to get past a stuck point like you lose weight to a certain point then it stops how do you get past it and also does it get harder to lose weight when you start to weigh less
Do you mean you have plateued? You will have to mix up your exercise routine. The body gets used to certain things after a while.

Divine Zealot

Quick set of questions though.
> What type of diet (if any) are you doing?
> Weight goals?
> Height, weight and age?
> Are you monitoring calories?

It's not all that uncommon for weight loss to stall while the body is figuring stuff out. Keep going as normal for 3-4 weeks. Sometimes, it'll start dropping again. If you aren't seeing any improvement, consider dropping some calories (100-200) to see if that helps.
Mixing up your workout routine, counting your calories and taking in more water.
You could work out to the brink of death and would only see a little change in your body, you need to make your abs in the kitchen, try cutting out sugars, oils and white carbs.
I drink three cups of green tea a day and a cup of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinger, it helps tone your body and the green tea helps boost your metabolism. And add more water to that as well smile
I find HIIT Traing works really well for weight loss.

Divine Zealot

Banii-Ban
it helps tone your body and the green tea helps boost your metabolism.

While it is true that green tea gives a slight jump in metabolic rate, there are two things worth noting about it.

1.This states that we're looking at about 80 calories. This implies a 4% boost, which if one has a 2000 calorie TDEE, is also 80 calories.
2. All foods give a slight boost to metabolic rate, regardless of what it is. Briefly mentioned in the first link above. They can be marketed that way because it's true, but very few people know anything about the metabolism in the first place. You could come up with a similar study showing sugar doing the same thing, and millions of people would flock to buy it in an effort to lose weight. (I am actually fine with sugar. But many people see it as a bad thing, so it fit my comparison.)

Green tea is a fine beverage, and it does come with some health benefits. But it's not going to impact your weight in any meaningful way unless using it displaces something else that provides you with more calories, like soda or dairy.
Ah yes hitting the annoying Plateau... I hate hitting those however it does happen eventually once your body has adapted to its new lifestyle. So there are a few things that you can do to get past the plateau, but first we need to talk about one inalienable fact. That fact is that maybe you no longer have any weight left to lose. By default our bodies want to store fat for emergencies. As such getting down to the lower percents of body fat is extremely difficult. Once you get to that point you have to take every extreme steps to get rid of the last of the fat. So there is a chance that you are at that point. Your body does not want to lose any more fat so it will stop losing fat.

Another possibility is that your muscle out weighs your fat. Muscle by definition is much more dense and heavy than fat. So once you hit that point your body may continue to lose fat, but since you have so much muscle it appears like you are not losing weight. My solution to this is simple, get off the scale. Scales are very misleading when it comes to weight loss. You weight will fluctuate daily regardless of what you do and that is just what our bodies do. Invest in some tape measure, and take measurements. Doing this will show that you are in fact losing weight. Since common areas for fat storage will shrink in size.

So if you can confirm that the above two issues are not the issue. Then we can move onto how to shock past a plateau. When you hit a plateau in a weight loss regiment. This is generally because your body has adapted to whatever regiment you have been doing. That is the funny thing about our bodies is they will adapt and then there will be no need to burn off fat. So you will need to shock your body a bit with something new. This can be any number of things. If you are a cardio addict change the form of cardio. I know a lot of people like to run. So instead of running why not take up cycling? All of the sudden you will start to sue all new sets of muscle and your body will have to adjust to compensate. If you are lifting weights you can change up any number of things to fix the issues. An easy thing to change is the amount of weight. I often times see lots of people in the gym come is and bench press 95 lbs for 10 reps for 6 to 10 weeks in a row. Adding as little as 5 lbs will shock your body and your body will realize that it has to expel more energy to lift the weight and work harder. Change the form is the next step. If you always do straight bench press, change things up so one day you do Incline Bench Press and then Decline Bench Press, then a dumbbell bench press. Using different muscles will keep your body guessing and not allow your body to adapt.

The other method that I have used is another diet change. Most of the time this is just a modification of your existing diet. Which can be difficult to do depending on how you do it. For me I just took one day out of the week or month to eat a horrible diet. Just as your body was initially shocked by your original diet change. It will be shock to have to deal with all the sugar and fat and stuff you have been avoiding again. As such your body will try to adjust itself to compensate for this sudden change. That should kick start your weight loss again.

I hope this has been helpful. Please make sure that you check into the first two issues before you go off and try my other solutions. There are plenty of times when a weight loss plateau can just be an illusion put on by the scale and nothing more. It is extremely important to understand and accept this fact. This way you are more likely to not jump into something really dangerous or unhealthy just so you can see that number on the scale slowly move down. Believe it or not eventually you will have no more weight that you can lose in a healthy manner. So be prepared for that day.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff