Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm looking for someone to count calories and share recipes with. I'm trying to find easy, cheap, healthy meals. Plus I need some form of exercise that is within my time-frame (about 30 minutes or less), without having to go to the gym or be outside, I don't want it limited by the weather. Advice on a really fun 30 minute workout video would be ideal.

My story: About a two years ago while I was at college I lost 40 pounds. But recently in the last year my life has changed and my routine I had, well it doesn't work anymore. I don't have the time to go to the gym, nor do I have the money to pay for the $7 healthy sandwich/salad combo I use to eat. Because of this I've gained half of the weight back!

A support group would be much appreciated at this point.
Scenarios
Regina_Knives
Scenarios
Hi c:
I'm currently 5'8 and 145 lbs. I want to lose at least 10 lbs a month till I get down to 120. I would love to help and encourage you with your weight loss!

Welcome! You go girl! Thanks for the support. Everyone needs a great support team. 3nodding

I'm not sure if you have an iPod/iPhone but there is this super helpful app I found that let's you track your weightloss and keep track of intake and exercise! It's called myfitnesspal. Hope this helps!

I have an android phone. The only android app I have is calorie counter from calorie.about.com. I don't care for it though. It loads slow and it's been hard to count calories. But I've been trying to find a free android I can use for calorie counting. Thank you for the app idea! I'll see if It's compatible with android OS.
muffin.WOman
I'm looking for someone to count calories and share recipes with. I'm trying to find easy, cheap, healthy meals. Plus I need some form of exercise that is within my time-frame (about 30 minutes or less), without having to go to the gym or be outside, I don't want it limited by the weather. Advice on a really fun 30 minute workout video would be ideal.

My story: About a two years ago while I was at college I lost 40 pounds. But recently in the last year my life has changed and my routine I had, well it doesn't work anymore. I don't have the time to go to the gym, nor do I have the money to pay for the $7 healthy sandwich/salad combo I use to eat. Because of this I've gained half of the weight back!

A support group would be much appreciated at this point.

Welcome! ^_^

That's another reason why I made this thread too! We could all use a good support group. Share recipes, share ideas, show some nutrition information, and experiences. It's a way to bring people together and help accomplish a common goal!
LavenderMintRose
User Image

By the way, I want to start eating tofu - anyone know any good recipes with tofu? I know it's really healthy but I've never eaten it much before.

I love tofu. You can basically make it however you would make meat. I suggest if you haven't eaten it before to go with an extra firm tofu. Squeeze out all the water then marinate it in something you like (I love wortishire sauce, or stir fry sauce), then add it to some noodles along with veggies you like. If you don't like it then just pick it out and you still have a meal. If you do like it then you can try something that has a larger portion. There are lots of recipes online, I've had burritoes, soups, grilled, and fried. Soft tofu can also be used to make really high protein, low fat puddings too!

Its best to start small though, a lot of people don't like tofu.
So... my current big problem is finding a 30 minute fun workout video. Does anyone have any suggestions, or even warnings of what to stay away from? I got P90X, but the videos are an hour or longer... Making it so I really don't do the full work-outs that often. I've done pilates and yoga in the past but I don't feel like it really burns calories very well. Suggestions?
Regina_Knives

Welcome! ^_^

That's another reason why I made this thread too! We could all use a good support group. Share recipes, share ideas, show some nutrition information, and experiences. It's a way to bring people together and help accomplish a common goal!

Thanks! Have you found any good recipes so far? I'm looking to expand upon my dinner/breakfasts. smile
Hello 3nodding I want to join in too! I'm 5'8 and I'm 204 pounds crying I've never been the skinny girl and I've always wanted to be! I just don't wanna feel bad when I look into mirrors and I want people to find me attractive. Primarily though I just wanna be healthy and I'm afraid that if i gain more weight or don't loose any that it will be very bad for my health in the future.. I'm still just a teen you see and it's not good that I weigh as much as I do. I used to be 220 pounds but I tried nutrisystem and it helped me loose 16 pounds. (i dont recommend nutrisystem though the food tastes horrible, no flavor at all its like cardboard and it made me want to throw up) But anyways I want to try loosing weight on my own... My goal weight for May is 170 pounds. So i need to loose 34 sweatdrop And then from there I want to loose even more, but i'm gonna do it little by little. By next year august I want to be heart 140 pounds heart I hope we can become good friends out of this! If you have any tips please let me know 4laugh
Quote:
Thanks! Have you found any good recipes so far? I'm looking to expand upon my dinner/breakfasts. smile

There is one recipe my roommate made. If you like salmon that is lol.

Ingredients: 1 salmon (filet), fresh lemon, honey. garlic salt.

First you get a baking sheet and add a layer of tin foil. Lay the filet on top. Sprinkle garlic salt on the filet, add a little bit of honey, and lay the lemon on it.

Then bake it for 20 minutes maybe? You have to watch it. My roommate mostly cooked it, but it turned out really good.

I would add a side of steamed veggies or some broccoli and possibly a side of lemon pilaf rice. But the fish itself was awesome.

Frozen Bunny

16,650 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Regina_Knives

I see you have an android. myfitnesspal is free. (you don't have to have a smartphone, you can use the site too) It keeps track of your calories. A smartphone just makes it super easy because you can scan barcodes.

I promise I'm not trying to solicit anything to you. sweatdrop I just saw that you wanted to count calories, and that is what I'm using. It keeps track of your exercise and how many calories you burned. It keeps track of your water too!

I am 5'8" and 266. I have 115 lbs to lose. I have lost 8 lbs so far. heart

my username is gojeskago for anyone who wants to add me.

muffin.WOman

Zumba Fitness (DVD or the game - for Wii or Xbox)

Turbo Fire by beach body. I really want to buy this one, but I have thin floors. And I'm not at that level yet either... it burns crazy calories though and it's fun! It comes in 20, 40 and 60 minutes, so you can do the 20 when you are short on time, or 60 if you have time to kill.

Also, check out hungry-girl.com. She has really good recipes for low calories! You can buy her books like "300 recipes for 300 calories" but I just use her website. I'm poor.

*Edit* Her recipes are mostly single serving, so if you are making something for more than just you, you would have to double, triple, etc
Aliareana
Regina_Knives

I see you have an android. myfitnesspal is free. (you don't have to have a smartphone, you can use the site too) It keeps track of your calories. A smartphone just makes it super easy because you can scan barcodes.

I promise I'm not trying to solicit anything to you. sweatdrop I just saw that you wanted to count calories, and that is what I'm using. It keeps track of your exercise and how many calories you burned. It keeps track of your water too!

muffin.WOman

Lol you weren't even soliciting. Recommending a product or program that is helpful and beneficial is one thing. But recommending a product that you can sell to me is soliciting. That's my difference there. Not only that the app is free and I like the barcode scanning part! That would make it so much easier than trying to find it! I appreciate the recommendation and I'm going to look into it. biggrin
iBeckyy
Hello 3nodding I want to join in too! I'm 5'8 and I'm 204 pounds crying I've never been the skinny girl and I've always wanted to be! I just don't wanna feel bad when I look into mirrors and I want people to find me attractive. Primarily though I just wanna be healthy and I'm afraid that if i gain more weight or don't loose any that it will be very bad for my health in the future.. I'm still just a teen you see and it's not good that I weigh as much as I do. I used to be 220 pounds but I tried nutrisystem and it helped me loose 16 pounds. (i dont recommend nutrisystem though the food tastes horrible, no flavor at all its like cardboard and it made me want to throw up) But anyways I want to try loosing weight on my own... My goal weight for May is 170 pounds. So i need to loose 34 sweatdrop And then from there I want to loose even more, but i'm gonna do it little by little. By next year august I want to be heart 140 pounds heart I hope we can become good friends out of this! If you have any tips please let me know 4laugh

Welcome!
Lol I don't follow those systems. Just stick to the oldies but goldies xp
That's what we're all here for hun! Take small steps at a time. Losing weight isn't easy nor is it simple. Whether it's 10 pounds or 100 pounds, it's still a process. Everyone can recommend tips, hints, strategies, and share what we know and find out other stuff and learn from each other. It's not only that, but a support group as well. You have a squad to help you when you're down and help fight temptation! Positivity all the way! 4laugh

Frozen Bunny

16,650 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Regina_Knives
Aliareana

Lol you weren't even soliciting. Recommending a product or program that is helpful and beneficial is one thing. But recommending a product that you can sell to me is soliciting. That's my difference there. Not only that the app is free and I like the barcode scanning part! That would make it so much easier than trying to find it! I appreciate the recommendation and I'm going to look into it. biggrin

Yay! I hope you like it! I only have 1 friend so far, and she is like super woman.

I hope to become friends with people here, and gain a support group!
Regina_Knives

First you get a baking sheet and add a layer of tin foil. Lay the filet on top. Sprinkle garlic salt on the filet, add a little bit of honey, and lay the lemon on it.

Then bake it for 20 minutes maybe? You have to watch it. My roommate mostly cooked it, but it turned out really good.

I would add a side of steamed veggies or some broccoli and possibly a side of lemon pilaf rice. But the fish itself was awesome.

I have to try this, I happen to have salmon in the freezer from awhile back when it was on sale, so its kinda perfect. Thanks for the recipe.
Aliareana

Zumba Fitness (DVD or the game - for Wii or Xbox)

Turbo Fire by beach body. I really want to buy this one, but I have thin floors. And I'm not at that level yet either... it burns crazy calories though and it's fun! It comes in 20, 40 and 60 minutes, so you can do the 20 when you are short on time, or 60 if you have time to kill.

Also, check out hungry-girl.com. She has really good recipes for low calories! You can buy her books like "300 recipes for 300 calories" but I just use her website. I'm poor.

*Edit* Her recipes are mostly single serving, so if you are making something for more than just you, you would have to double, triple, etc

I've heard really good things about Zumba, I just suck at dancing so I don't know if I could do it. I'd probably look like a drunk chicken. XD

I'll have to look around that website too. 300 calorie meals would be perfect. I'm a tiny thing (only 5'1" so I get like 1200 calories a day if I want to loose weight). I have a really hard time because the classic 500 calorie meals that everyone else seems to be able to eat... I can't...
muffin.WOman
Regina_Knives

I have to try this, I happen to have salmon in the freezer from awhile back when it was on sale, so its kinda perfect. Thanks for the recipe.

You're welcome ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces