Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Entrepreneur

I know this is very early to think about, but I'm wondering. How soon is safe to start exercising? (generally, I know this depends on the person) And how do you exercise with baby? I plan on breastfeeding and would HATE to stop mid workout and have baby latch on to icky sweaty n****e. EW! I plan on pumping too, but how do I know I won't run out?

Help sad
sweatdrop heart

Perfect Pumpkin

MorningTech
I know this is very early to think about, but I'm wondering. How soon is safe to start exercising? (generally, I know this depends on the person) And how do you exercise with baby? I plan on breastfeeding and would HATE to stop mid workout and have baby latch on to icky sweaty n****e. EW! I plan on pumping too, but how do I know I won't run out?

Help sad
sweatdrop heart

First of all, xd !!!
Don't worry about the baby needing fed mid-workout. You will probably have some breast milk available in the fridge, or you can always just wash your breast real quick with a rag.

As for your supply of milk, drink lots of water! Of course, all bodies are different, and your supply may not last as long as you would like, but you can give it your best shot by drinking lots of water anyways. Drink a glass when you wake up, when you come home from work, before bed, etc, just drink it! It's good for you. 3nodding
Don't drink garbage like coffee or soda. It will actually dehydrate you AND make you feel not thirsty. Energy drinks are garbage too (just saying).

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
Depending on what your comfortable with, I have seen people do yoga with infants. But if your talking excersize for just you, I would say not to worry! grab a baby wipe if the baby needs fed mid workout and wipe the area c:
Congrats btw! heart

Divine Zealot

MorningTech

Help sad
sweatdrop heart

As soon as you feel able too, you're free to start exercising.

Here's the cool part though, the milk is made partially from your own stores of body fat, and your baby will literally start sucking the fat right out of you. Total win win. I believe the fat utilized for this is primarily around the upper legs and waist.

Just remember to monitor your calories. Utilize this to help. Just try not to get into too large of a deficit, especially if you're breastfeeding, as this could mean fewer calories for the baby. Stick around your TDEE, and maybe a little higher (about 200 - 300 calories?) if you exercise.

Your weight loss will be fine, but remember that as the baby gets older, s/he'll take more calories from you, so you want to remain in a slight surplus during this time. I believe a year old would be around 800 (depending on size, gender, etc...). So, eat too little to maintain a deficit with baby, and you'll end up feeling like crap.

TL;DR: You can eat more, and still lose weight if the baby is being fed solely through breastfeeding, because baby will provide the deficit you need. Just remember that you should eat more until you get to the point where you no longer breastfeed, then you can start working in your own deficit without the baby.

Sanna
Don't drink garbage like coffee or soda. It will actually dehydrate you AND make you feel not thirsty.

Recent studies have actually proved this to be false. The liquid consumed is usually more than how much caffeine actually makes you excrete, so it really is a non issue. As far as weight loss in concerned though, being a compulsive drinker of calorie - containing liquids could cause you to run into the whole calorie surplus bit, but consuming them isn't much of a problem, really, if one remembers to monitor their intake.

Tipsy Vampire

MorningTech

Help sad
sweatdrop heart

You can breastfeed before a workout, it will also lighten the load and ease any discomfort from full boobies during your routine. Usually you can start working out after your doc gives you the all clear at your 6 week check up. Maybe a little longer if you had c-section. Also, it's best to start with light low impact routines and work your way up to avoid injury.
Once you're breastfeeding exclusively and pumping you won't run out. And make sure you drink a lot of water as well especially when you start working out often.
It depends on your body, some women start their exercise 6 weeks after giving birth and they are back on track. Lactating can also help you to lose weight, it is effective for me, I lose weight when I'm lactating before.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff