Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Shapeshifter

5,000 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
Acute, 'cause it should only be here for 5/6 days total. I also can't take antihistamines, as they'll apparently mess with or potentially mess with my asthma. I've got an induction today for a learning course, but that aside, any suggestions as to how to cope with it?

First it was on my legs, then I made the mistake of wearing a bra that'd been washed in the detergent that set it off in the first place, now I have it on my underarms, sides and other certain places where my bra was.

Trying not to rattle myself with anxiety in the process...

Mewling Dabbler

7,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I've never heard of antihistamines interfering or setting off asthma. As someone who has asthma, comes from a family of asthmatics, and with many friends with asthma, none of us have suffered bad side effects from taking antihistamines other than drowsiness that some brands provide. I use a very general antihistamine and have been just fine.

Otherwise, for itchiness there's always calamine lotion or cortisone cream. If it's not enough strength, you may need a doctor's prescription for one that's way more powerful. (I once had a delayed allergic reaction to antibiotics and I had a rash on my right side of my body pretty much everywhere and I absolutely needed something stronger than over the counter stuff.) Otherwise, when at home, put some ice on it. I actually would soak some towels with cold water and wring them out before wrapping around the area in need of relief.

Friendly Shapeshifter

5,000 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
Kaitsu-Ralia
I've never heard of antihistamines interfering or setting off asthma. As someone who has asthma, comes from a family of asthmatics, and with many friends with asthma, none of us have suffered bad side effects from taking antihistamines other than drowsiness that some brands provide. I use a very general antihistamine and have been just fine.

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can get a quick appointment or call with my asthma nurse to see if it's ok. I know that my Mum (who has bronchitis) can take antihistamines, but she gets drowsy off of them. I'd rather just clarify it, you know?

Quote:
Otherwise, for itchiness there's always calamine lotion or cortisone cream. If it's not enough strength, you may need a doctor's prescription for one that's way more powerful. (I once had a delayed allergic reaction to antibiotics and I had a rash on my right side of my body pretty much everywhere and I absolutely needed something stronger than over the counter stuff.) Otherwise, when at home, put some ice on it. I actually would soak some towels with cold water and wring them out before wrapping around the area in need of relief.

Hmm, good idea. I'd actually asked the Doctor about a cream or something to put on it, and she said that it wouldn't do a damn thing. So at the moment I'm wearing no nylon if possible, nothing too tight and going for cotton where possible.

Friendly Shapeshifter

5,000 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
Now it's less on my legs, and more oddly enough, down one of my arms. Which is kind of understandable as I did have the suspicion that I had accidentally worn a top washed in one of Surf's detergents the day before yesterday.

I'm less anxious over it (a little) but it's just so... unpleasant? Like not even really itchy, it's just annoying looking at my arms and knowing it is there.

Anyone else had hives? Any suggested ways to cope with it?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff