Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Hello everyone,

I've been having horrible kidney stone bouts and my doctor recommended that I lose some weight to boost my metabolism. I've already lost six pounds but it seems like no matter how much I cut back on what I eat and how much I increase the length of my workout I can't seem to lose any more weight?

Anyone have any tips they can give me?

Desirable Sex Symbol

AngelAvalon
Hello everyone,

I've been having horrible kidney stone bouts and my doctor recommended that I lose some weight to boost my metabolism. I've already lost six pounds but it seems like no matter how much I cut back on what I eat and how much I increase the length of my workout I can't seem to lose any more weight?

You don't need to cut back so much on what you eat. Also it's not the length of the work out that matters it's the volume. Start eating healthier foods. And change your work out routine. Don't the the same thing every single day. Be sure to do cardio at least 30 minutes every othe rday. Don't expect to lose any more than 2 pounds per week. Aim no higher than that.
One Infection
AngelAvalon
Hello everyone,

You don't need to cut back so much on what you eat. Also it's not the length of the work out that matters it's the volume. Start eating healthier foods. And change your work out routine. Don't the the same thing every single day. Be sure to do cardio at least 30 minutes every othe rday. Don't expect to lose any more than 2 pounds per week. Aim no higher than that.

To add to this, you may want to include muscle training as well. Training your muscles will result in the most calories burned while at rest while cardio will result in the most calories burned while at work. A combination of the two is best for maximizing your results.

Just as One Infection said, you don't want to simply decrease what you eat, but rather provide yourself better options. Low calories does not equal "healthy". When your body is nutritionally starved, it holds on to as much mass as it can. It's essentially preparing itself for famine which is a natural survival mechanism. You're going to want your vitamins and minerals in your diet. Vitamin A, C, D, E, K, your B vitamins; calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, etc. If your body has the proper nutrients put in, you will get the most out of it. You will feel better and you will steadily lose weight.

I'd suggest eating nutritional foods, such as vegetables and fruits. Steer clear of fatty foods, such as fried foods and ice cream and cakes.

Your body does need all of its macro nutrients. These are fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Proteins build up and repair your muscles. Carbohydrates provide your muscles energy and help endurance and fats are energy. Your body needs a supply of all three during the day. Proteins can come from meats, such as chicken, beef, pork and so on (Baked or grilled are excellent ways to prepare meats) or from protein supplements. Most meats also provide a moderate amount of healthy fats as well. Carbohydrates can come from rice, bread, fruits and other such foods (Think Panera Bread. However Panera's meals are rather high in calories, which we will go over next). Healthy fats come from nuts, such as pistachios and peanuts. Always remember, however, that just because it's healthy doesn't necessarily mean it's going to make you lose weight. Too much of a good thing turns out bad. Moderate your intake.

If you want to lose weight, the goal is to eat healthy and burn more calories a day than you take in. The daily recommended diet is 2,000 calories. One pound of fat is 3,500 calories. To calculate how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight, do the following equation:

(Your body weight) * 10 *1.4 = X

For example, I weigh 165 pounds, so I would need (If you use the metric system, then 2.2 pounds = 1 kilogram)

165 *10 *1.4 = 2,310 calories a day to maintain my body weight.

Now if you want to lose weight, calculate how many calories you need to maintain your weight, and subtract anywhere from 300 - 700. Set that as your daily intake goal. As you work out, you will burn calories as well. If you burn 500 calories a day running, and consume only 1500 calories (Let's assume you require 2300 calories to maintain your body weight) then you're in a 1300 calorie deficit, per day. You will lose approximately (Remember one pound is 3,500 calories) 2.6 pounds a week, or 10.4 pounds a month.

Keep that up for a few months and you'll be down 30 pounds. Keep it up a year and you could be down 120 pounds.

Stay away from diet sodas and artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners such as Sucralose (Splenda) and Aspartame (An ingredient in most, if not all Diet sodas) cause your body to produce and release insulin into the blood stream. Insulin is responsible for taking sugar away from the blood stream and storing it as fat. This causes a few things to happen:
1) You have low blood sugar, which makes you tired (And thus skimp, or completely skip your workouts)
2) Your body stores more fat (Remember it's taking sugar away from the blood and storing it)
3) Since artificial sweeteners are so sweet, yet your body does not receive any actual sugar, your body essentially goes into "wtf" mode. You will crave sweets, which is counterproductive to weight loss.

The most important thing is really the most simple: Water. Your body needs water. Your body is 70% water. If you are active, consume four liters of water a day (Just over a gallon of water). Water contains exactly zero calories, making it excellent for weight loss. Additionally, water is used by the body to remove toxins and will help you become healthier faster. Water will help you sweat which, in addition to being good for your skin, will help you keep you from overheating. Water will keep you cool. Water will help you maximize your workout and lose the most weight. Water will prevent injuries, such as heat craps, heat exhaustion or even heat strokes. Dehydration isn't a ******** joke.

Good luck losing weight. Hopefully everything I said will be of some use to you. I don't know everything, but I do know plenty: Send me a PM if you ever need more information.
Thanks for your post. It helps the readers for being more conscious on about weight loss.
Hi,

Fast walking,Jumping jacks and Stepping are the great exercises to lose weight in a short time span. Try them on regular bases at least at once.

Crossfit Fitness Training

Hilarious Noob

Firstly your diet is 80% of it, the remaining 20% is your workout.

If you're old enough get yourself to the gym. Try running atleast 300 Cals a day. add in some weights and resistant training to start building lean muscle under your layer of fat. As you start to slim down the fat the muslce definition will start to show through.

Most girls dont want to lift weights as they think they'll turn into the terminator. This won't happen. Girls look alot better if they're FIT than just skinny.

And as for food, obviously chocolate and snacks are a no-no. As boring as it may be but plain chicken and rice or steamed veg is really good for proteins and carbs. Try to eat a big breakfast, medium sized lunch and a small meal at night.

I lost 3 stone (42lbs) 3 years ago in six months. It takes a lot dedication at first but give it a month it'll just be your normal routine and you'll think nothing of it.

User Image

User Image

Hilarious Noob

Sorry the pictures so big. surprised

Send me a Pm if you need any advice but most of the things you need to know will be all over Google.

Hilarious Noob

One Infection

What i noticed when I was losing weight is the bigger you are the most weight you'll lose quickly. As you start to slim down your weight will level out to a point when it takes ages to keep just 1lbs off. So while 2 lbs a week it a good guide line don't be surpised if you lose up to 5lbs a week at the start.

Bashful Flatterer

really half the battle is just healthy eating. Weight loss is 75% diet, 25% excersize. This is because you burn calories just by living. Around 2000 per day, maybe a little bit more if you're more muscular or chubby. To loose weight you need to create a deficit of those calories.

Eating healthy foods, like fruit, vegetables, whole grains, etc that have the least amount of calories is a great way to start! These foods have fewer calories, so you can eat more. This will also boost your metabolism and lighten the load on your kidneys, since the kidneys are the only organ that can process and metabolise sugar. So eating clean will help clear your kidneys and get rid of the stones.

Excersize doesnt have to be excessive, but some weights and walking every day or every second day will help tone up your body and help create the deficit. For example, an hour of walking burns 137 calories, and ten minutes of weights burns 23. (Twenty three calories is 5 strawberries!)

The best way to start helping your kidneys is to stop drinking soft drinks and save sweets and other sugary foods for treats on the weekends.The less sugar, the better.

Divine Zealot

-Riku-
I lost 3 stone (42lbs) 3 years ago in six months. It takes a lot dedication at first but give it a month it'll just be your normal routine and you'll think nothing of it.

I say and hear enough around here about dietary choices, but god damn, this needs some emphasis. When you make something a habit, you get into this, "I do it because it's what I do," thing.

-Riku-
What i noticed when I was losing weight is the bigger you are the most weight you'll lose quickly. As you start to slim down your weight will level out to a point when it takes ages to keep just 1lbs off. So while 2 lbs a week it a good guide line don't be surpised if you lose up to 5lbs a week at the start.

This is, funny enough, usually because your metabolism is usually higher when you're overweight. Introducing the calorie deficit is one thing, but exercise when you're larger burns more calories as well (largely when you're dedicated, though), so you get much larger deficits.

Then there's the water weight being evicted thing, which can easily fluctuate one's weight anywhere from 5-10 lbs on either side.

4,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. I'm trying to slowly incorporate new things into my daily routines because of your inputs.
What do you eat in a typical day? What do your workouts consist of? Once we know what you're currently doing it becomes a lot easier to figure out what isn't working for you.

4,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Wunder Leben
What do you eat in a typical day? What do your workouts consist of? Once we know what you're currently doing it becomes a lot easier to figure out what isn't working for you.
I try and eat yogurt, fruit juice, and I usually have one soda a day. Those are really the only things I eat consistently though, everything else I eat depends on my mood, but I'm generally a healthy eater.

As for my workouts I walk, do resistance exercises on my arms and legs and also do a high energy trampoline workout once a day.
AngelAvalon
Wunder Leben
I try and eat yogurt, fruit juice, and I usually have one soda a day. Those are really the only things I eat consistently though, everything else I eat depends on my mood, but I'm generally a healthy eater.

As for my workouts I walk, do resistance exercises on my arms and legs and also do a high energy trampoline workout once a day.

Well what have you eaten today so far? What do you like to eat?
Yogurt can be good, just be aware that flavored yogurts can have a lot of sugar.
Fruit juice should be 100% juice. It does count as a serving of fruit, but you lose all of the fiber from fruit by juicing it.
I would stay away from soda. I used to have one soda a day too but one day I flat out stopped drinking soda and haven't looked back. Once you stop drinking it you really never want it anymore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff