Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Ladykiller

9,025 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
I go to my local Y at least 2-3 times a week, unless I can get in more. And when I go I like to use the treadmill but I feel that the custom routines are kinda dull. So does anyone have really good custom treadmill workouts?

ShakeZor's Waifu

Big Trash

Honestly, HIIT always works best for me. I do 2 minutes of 4.0 mph, 2 minutes of 5.5 mph, then 1 minute of 7.0 mph. Then repeat the cycle. I usually do as many cycles as I can and not worry too much about counting. It's easier for me like this because I can keep pushing myself just a little bit more.

Shameless Conversationalist

8,700 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Could it be that you are using the treadmill incorrectly?

Most people think that in order to lose weight or be fit they need to go fast on the treadmill and that the speed correlates with the number of calories burnt. But, you'll get really disheartened when you realize you have run two miles and have only burnt 200 calories!

So then they really turn up the speed, and they are bored and exhausted but they really haven't met their goal in calories they wanted to burn.

The really good treadmills are the ones that can change their incline considerably. It is the same concept as increasing the resistance on a bike or other piece of exercise equipment. Suddenly each step is just a little more difficult because the muscles are actually being better utilized.

The benefit of feeling like you are jogging, or even just plain walking uphill in mud is that you are burning calories at a much faster pace. And you are actually challenging yourself, but the instant heart rate and calorie expenditure is a great ego boost at the gym.

So next time you get on the treadmill, try speed walking uphill for 20 minutes, you should be pleasantly surprised. Just make sure you bring plenty of water, especially if you plan to increase your pace to jogging.

Of course if you are already increasing the incline, you can disregard this advice.Consider then trying some fitness classes if your gym offers them, I have an on campus gym and there are yoga and zumba instructors here daily. A class may take up over an hour of your day if you include pre and post-workout stretching or cooldown, but they are nice and will provoke your more competitive side, and they can be fun and sassy too.

Also try to bring a friend to the gym! I cannot stress it enough that exercise should be fun, and that is especially true if you are tossing around kettleballs with your friend, or screaming bubble butt while squatting with a massive weight in your arms. Goof off and explore, and you won't even realize how fit you are getting.

Dedicated Ladykiller

9,025 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
I think part of what disappoints me with the included workouts on the treadmill are they all feel the same and most of them I have to push my speed and incline on my own so it seems pointless to use the included workouts..
You may want to consider a different workout regime that doesn't involve the treadmill? Like what undercoverwalrus mentioned HIIT, use it for floor workouts or using the weight machines. Personally, I love the treadmill running at the same speed is therapeutic for me, since I can put on my headphones and put my mind somewhere else. I generally don't like thinking about what I'm doing at the gym, only just enough to keep me from falling over. Have you considered going to any of the classes? Most gyms, if not all, will have a class doing zumba, kickboxing or something, there are all kinds.

Dedicated Ladykiller

9,025 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
I want to try some classes but they are held at the same times I am at work

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers