Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Loiterer

Suggestions for slimming down all three areas? I'm thinking of buying a bike, for starters, and hope I can tone the thighs by cycling. And I have small weights at home to tone the arms, but I feel like 5 lbs won't do all that much to help
5 lbs won't do much of anything, you might see some results even if you invested in cheap resistance bands like from the one from Walmart.

There's no way to spot reduce fat though. Overall losing fat will gradually decrease the fat stored in those areas. Genetics largely depends what comes off first, but for the most part thighs are among the last spots for women.

If you're looking to burn fat the most important thing is being in a caloric deficit. It doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you're below maintenance.

Fashionable Gaian

15,350 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100
A spinning bike is the best thing you can have in your house to shape up.
By using a lot of resistance and going trough intervals sitting down and standing up, you can get a great workout and achieve the results you're looking for: toned arms, slim waist and tight legs.

Aim for really intense, short(or long if you can) workouts instead of just lazing tons of time away "working out" in front of the TV thinking you're burning calories when you're not xD

Of course you should keep a proper diet. Rewarding yourself with ice cream will not help you achieve your goal in any way, haha~

Devoted Loiterer

Absolute Virtue
5 lbs won't do much of anything, you might see some results even if you invested in cheap resistance bands like from the one from Walmart.

There's no way to spot reduce fat though. Overall losing fat will gradually decrease the fat stored in those areas. Genetics largely depends what comes off first, but for the most part thighs are among the last spots for women.

If you're looking to burn fat the most important thing is being in a caloric deficit. It doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you're below maintenance.
pfft. no point in keeping my baby 5 lb weight, then, huh? I feel l it's more like a toy, than anything, if it can't help >_>
I'm trying to watch what I eat. It ain't easy. Especially because I'm a stress eater.

ok so for beginners, I can just buy the resistance bands and work with those?

Devoted Loiterer

Sweet Murderer
By using a lot of resistance and going trough intervals sitting down and standing up, you can get a great workout and achieve the results you're looking for: toned arms, slim waist and tight legs.

Aim for really intense, short(or long if you can) workouts instead of just lazing tons of time away "working out" in front of the TV thinking you're burning calories when you're not xD

Of course you should keep a proper diet. Rewarding yourself with ice cream will not help you achieve your goal in any way, haha~
I'm in a trailer. No room for large equipment like that; which is why I think I'd be better off buying actual bike. I can keep it outside so it won't take up the limited space inside the house.
if I'm working out in front the tv; which I don't do anyway, but hypothetically; if I'm doing it the right way with the right equipment and all; I should still be able to burn calories, won't I? you make it sound like it accomplishes nothing, doing that.

Ursine Comrade

If you're short on space, get an adjustable dumbbell or two, the ones where you can add plates onto them. They shouldn't take much space and they'll last you much longer, considering that you can add on weight as you go. With bands, you may have to replace them with stronger bands later on and such.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Swimming would knock out all three.
You can't spot train you must lose weight.
But you can tone with spot training.
Lift weights for your arms, do squats for thighs.
As you lose weight love handles go away.

3,750 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I just focus on building muscle and maintaining my heart rate up throughout the day. The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn.

Like the others have said, spot training if virtually nonexistent. However, I'd recommed:
arms - lift both arms up straight above your head and then bend at the elbows like you're going to touch your upperback. Your supposed t bring to a 135 angle and back down. 30 slow reps and 20 fast ones 3 times a day are quick and should help. It starts burning even without weights, so any resistence helps, just don't overdue it if you only want to tone yourself.
love handles - side/oblique crunches. 15 slow reps, fast reps for 30 seconds.
Thighs - no help on that, sorry.

In general, your body send out a chemical:
-to stop making you hungry 15 minuets after the first bite
-to start up your hunger an hour later
Besides reserving the high fatty or calorie food for 3 hours before you sleep or nap, snack on fruit at hourly intervals and you should be fine in between your meals.

Fashionable Gaian

15,350 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100
Pen 7
Sweet Murderer

I'm in a trailer. No room for large equipment like that; which is why I think I'd be better off buying actual bike. I can keep it outside so it won't take up the limited space inside the house.
if I'm working out in front the tv; which I don't do anyway, but hypothetically; if I'm doing it the right way with the right equipment and all; I should still be able to burn calories, won't I? you make it sound like it accomplishes nothing, doing that.

I'm sorry - it never crossed my mind that you could live in a trailer.

It's impossible to be focused on two things at a time. You get the best/fastest results by focusing on your workout instead of getting distracted by watching TV meanwhile.
Also - you burn calories by simply being alive.

On side-note - I like my training to be efficient because I haven't got much free time, which is why I recommended the spinning bike to you. Achieving the same results with a normal bike and the terrain I live in would take me several times longer - as simple as that.
But if it is the only choice you've got - of course it is the best solution to just buy a normal bike.

Fashionable Bookworm

19,250 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Resistance bands can work, but if you prefer traditional weights, just go to the store, pick up a weight, and try to do a curl with it. If you can do it easily, go to the next weight up; you'll probably want 8-10 pounds to start with. I have resistance bands, but I don't really like them. Go with the classics: squats, lunges, tricep kickbacks, hammer curls, shoulder presses, plank position, modified crunches. I do agree that you should set aside some time to work out and solely concentrate on that, but I disagree that working out while watching TV would be a waste. Once you've practiced each move a few times and have your form down, bring your weights with you while you watch TV and bang out a set during commercial breaks. Don't work any muscle group two consecutive days in a row. One day work on your arms, the next day work on your legs, the day after that work on your core, repeat. This won't reduce the size of the problem area, but resistance training does help your body burn more fat even when you're sitting around or sleeping. It will also firm up the muscles underneath the fat, making you look more toned even if you're not smaller.

Devoted Loiterer

oTrissa
well we do have a pool out front. I think it's only open during the summer, though. That's the only time I see people in it.
and I don't have a swimsuit. I look like a fat sausage in one, so I'm like really self conscious.
oTrissa

This!!! Swimming is the best!
It's easy on joints and awsome for those who've been inactive for a long time.
It tones just about every single muscle.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Pen 7
oTrissa
well we do have a pool out front. I think it's only open during the summer, though. That's the only time I see people in it.
and I don't have a swimsuit. I look like a fat sausage in one, so I'm like really self conscious.
Wear a tee and shorts then.
I live near the beach so I don't have to pool problem, but you could find in door pools at gyms.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff