Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am a 5'1, 110 lb female. I've never really been big on strength training (I'm a runner and I also play rugby), but I'm looking to tone up my upper body but I don't want to over do it because I have a tendency to do that.

How often and for how long should I work out each day in order to become more tone? Any specific work outs? I have five pound weights, ten pound weights, and an 8 pound medicine ball.
Listen, as a female you can't get "bulky" like a guy without anabolic steroids. It just doesn't happen. The reason guys bulk is because of their T levels. Look at female Natural physique competitors (I'm a fan of Sasha_Anne_Fit on instagram.) They don't wind up bulking despite the weights they lift. Sasha in particular goes insane on her workouts and drops to dangerous levels of BF% without losing an attractive physique.

My recommendation is to get on with a strength routine and adjusting your eating habits a little at a time. You'll eventually want to be doing macro control.

But seriously, don't be concerned about "overdoing it."
Revana_Blay
Listen, as a female you can't get "bulky" like a guy without anabolic steroids. It just doesn't happen. The reason guys bulk is because of their T levels. Look at female Natural physique competitors (I'm a fan of Sasha_Anne_Fit on instagram.) They don't wind up bulking despite the weights they lift. Sasha in particular goes insane on her workouts and drops to dangerous levels of BF% without losing an attractive physique.

My recommendation is to get on with a strength routine and adjusting your eating habits a little at a time. You'll eventually want to be doing macro control.

I mean overdoing it like pulling muscles or injuring myself.
eccentricanomaly
Revana_Blay

Okay, that would make sense, too. I speak to women all the time who have the aforementioned concern as I've addressed it. In your case, I'd probably recommend a few sessions with a PT. Correct form will walk you miles in injury prevention. Considering you're "at home" (I'm assuming with the type of equipment you have) this may not be the most feasible option.

I subscribe to these guys on Youtube. They have videos about correct form for the various exercises and if you have access to mirrors while you workout, you should be able to watch your own form. They have also started developing a series for creating a home gym, with everything from building your own bench to how to workout with the different types of equipment you might have.

The fact that you have very light weights is good and bad. You may want to invest in a plate weight set something like this one that will let you progress as you get stronger. In the meantime, my recommendation would be towards callisthenic routines which you can add your small weights to. Getting definition in your upper body will definitely be done by heavier weight training, though. The good news is you can work on your form and get them right for when you start rolling on with the heavier weights.
Revana_Blay
eccentricanomaly
Revana_Blay

Okay, that would make sense, too. I speak to women all the time who have the aforementioned concern as I've addressed it. In your case, I'd probably recommend a few sessions with a PT. Correct form will walk you miles in injury prevention. Considering you're "at home" (I'm assuming with the type of equipment you have) this may not be the most feasible option.

I subscribe to these guys on Youtube. They have videos about correct form for the various exercises and if you have access to mirrors while you workout, you should be able to watch your own form. They have also started developing a series for creating a home gym, with everything from building your own bench to how to workout with the different types of equipment you might have.

The fact that you have very light weights is good and bad. You may want to invest in a plate weight set something like this one that will let you progress as you get stronger. In the meantime, my recommendation would be towards callisthenic routines which you can add your small weights to. Getting definition in your upper body will definitely be done by heavier weight training, though. The good news is you can work on your form and get them right for when you start rolling on with the heavier weights.

Thank you! I'll have access to a gym once I'm back at school in a couple weeks, but the hours aren't always convenient with my class schedule. Haha
eccentricanomaly
Revana_Blay
eccentricanomaly
Revana_Blay

Thank you! I'll have access to a gym once I'm back at school in a couple weeks, but the hours aren't always convenient with my class schedule. Haha

I know that feeling. I work a rotating roster - 12 hour shifts day/night split - and I study at uni. No problem fitting in 5 workouts a week but only because I have 24 hour access to the gym.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff