Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fluffy Allegiant

8,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Clambake 200
I had my period at the end of August but it was lighter than normal, and the day it was supposed to stop it didn't. It just continued for another week, very light, mostly brown with no pain. Two days ago it had nearly disappeared before it started back up again, moderately heavy, but not enough to make me anemic.

I am not on birth control, and I am not a teenager, and I know the stress of it is affecting it as well because this has never happened before...

Normally I go 31 days in between cycles, but since it started until today it is close to 3 weeks.

But is this normal?

Clever Goat

If it keeps up, go to your OB-GYN.

Having one off cycle is not something to normally be concerned about.

Is there any chance of pregnancy? In the very early stages, you can have very weird stuff that happens.
Many things can cause irregular periods.

Extreme exercise or dieting. Exercising too much can throw off the timing of menstrual bleeding and sometimes stop it.

Stress. Chronic stress or even short-term anxiety about a specific problem can wreak havoc with your hormone balance, causing a missed period and irregular cycle.

Thyroid disorders can cause irregular periods if blood levels of the thyroid hormone go too low or too high.

Other health conditions that may cause an irregular cycle include sexually transmitted diseases, diabetes, fibroids, eating disorders, and endometriosis.
Most women have between 11 and 13 menstrual periods each year. You may be different: You may have more or fewer. Missed or irregular periods must be looked at in terms of what is normal for you.

Menstrual periods are often irregular during the first few years after menstruation starts. It may take several years for the hormones that control menstruation to reach a balance.

Menstrual periods also may be very irregular at the other end of the menstrual years. Many women realize that they are approaching perimenopause and menopause when their otherwise regular periods become irregular. Menopause occurs when it has been 12 months since you have had a menstrual period.

Pregnancy is the most common cause of a missed period. If you might be pregnant, treat yourself as if you are pregnant until you know for sure. Use a home pregnancy test as the first step to finding out whether you are pregnant.

If you are not pregnant, other causes of missed or irregular periods include:

Excessive weight loss or gain. Although low body weight is a common cause of missed or irregular periods, obesity also can cause menstrual problems.
Eating disorders, such as anorexia or bulimia. For more information, see the topic Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa.
Increased exercise. Missed periods are common in endurance athletes.
Emotional stress.
Illness.
Travel.
Medicines such as birth control methods, which may cause lighter, less frequent, more frequent, or skipped periods or no periods at all.
Hormone problems. This may cause a change in the levels of the hormones that the body needs to support menstruation.
Illegal drug use.
Problems with the pelvic organs camera.gif, such as imperforate hymen, polycystic ovary syndrome, or Asherman's syndrome.
Breast-feeding. Many women do not resume regular periods until they have completed breast-feeding.
Remember, you can still become pregnant even though you are not menstruating. Practice birth control if you do not wish to become pregnant.

Premature ovarian failure is when you stop menstruating before age 40. Surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy to the abdomen or pelvis may cause premature ovarian failure.

Other diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, tuberculosis, liver disease, and diabetes can cause missed or irregular periods, although this is rare. But if any of these diseases are present, you will usually have other symptoms besides menstrual irregularities.

If you've skipped a period, try to relax. Restoring your life to emotional and physical balance can help. Many women miss periods now and then. Unless you are pregnant, chances are your cycle will return to normal next month.

Check your symptoms to decide if and when you should see a doctor.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff