Welcome to Gaia! ::

During my final exams, I developed a few stress-triggered zits, and over spring break, I bought a 30-trial of Proactive. I'm getting mixed results at the moment, with a few new zits and some redness appearing during the first two weeks, but it's starting to improve. My problem is, I've started to notice a lot of small bumps on my skin. They're definitely not acne since they are a lot smaller and are the same color as my skin (no redness or anything). I don't know if this is because of the Proactive (my roommate says my skin could be having some sort of reaction to the chemicals in it) or something more or less serious.

I'm pretty upset because despite the occasional acne, I have really nice skin. So my questions are

- Should I stop using Proactive and let my skin heal on its own or should I continue with the rest of my 30 trial and let the medicine do its job?

- Does anyone know any good remedies for clearing up skin? DIY face masks or recommended products?

P.S. My skin is a bit dry. I use sunscreen almost every day, moisturize my skin twice daily, and do a weekly face pack.
I've never used Proactive, buuut if it was me, I would probably stop using it if bumps are appearing. I mean, that's the whole point of a trial right? To see if there's any side effects? But then again, I have VERY sensitive skin so I'm super wary of what I put on my skin, let alone my face. Like you, my skin's pretty clear, and I use sunblock/lotion daily.

For my daily facewash, I use "St. Ives - Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub" and I went through at least two of 'em already (my bro likes it too so he's using that now hahaha). I'm not gonna talk about it, cause you can just read the reviews on your own. You can find it anywhere, like at Target or something. But either way, it seems like you do the usual already, so just keep it up: drink lots of water to hydrate your skin, moisturize, use sunblock when you go out, and wash your face daily.

If you normally have nice clear skin, then it'll pass eventually if the case is stress related.
HiLo Munster
I've never used Proactive, buuut if it was me, I would probably stop using it if bumps are appearing. I mean, that's the whole point of a trial right? To see if there's any side effects? But then again, I have VERY sensitive skin so I'm super wary of what I put on my skin, let alone my face. Like you, my skin's pretty clear, and I use sunblock/lotion daily.

For my daily facewash, I use "St. Ives - Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub" and I went through at least two of 'em already (my bro likes it too so he's using that now hahaha). I'm not gonna talk about it, cause you can just read the reviews on your own. You can find it anywhere, like at Target or something. But either way, it seems like you do the usual already, so just keep it up: drink lots of water to hydrate your skin, moisturize, use sunblock when you go out, and wash your face daily.

If you normally have nice clear skin, then it'll pass eventually if the case is stress related.

Yeah, I think I'm going to stop using it for now, at least until this clears up.
And I've heard lots of good things about the Apricot Scrub. One of my suitemates swears by it, so I might buy a small tube to try it out. Thanks ^^
festival of sheep
Yeah, I think I'm going to stop using it for now, at least until this clears up.
And I've heard lots of good things about the Apricot Scrub. One of my suitemates swears by it, so I might buy a small tube to try it out. Thanks ^^

No problem and good luck! smile

Anxious Human

My sister had bought me proactive for Christmas (nice, right?) when I was younger and I had the same thing happen. You're reacting to something in the proactive. I use daily cleansing pads by Aveeno and they cleared me up better than proactive ever did. Aveeno is also a lot less harsh. I have dry skin too, and even Neutrogena would dry it out and make it feel like crap. Try some Aveeno products. smile
Bellyaches Method
My sister had bought me proactive for Christmas (nice, right?) when I was younger and I had the same thing happen. You're reacting to something in the proactive. I use daily cleansing pads by Aveeno and they cleared me up better than proactive ever did. Aveeno is also a lot less harsh. I have dry skin too, and even Neutrogena would dry it out and make it feel like crap. Try some Aveeno products. smile

I thought it would be okay because my brother was using it and his skin was clearing up nicely. But everyone's skin is different. I went home for the weekend and forgot the bottles in my dorm room, and my skin definitely feels better since I stopped.
I've been using Neutrogena moisturizer for years though, but if I still have dry skin, I guess it's not doing its job. I've heard really good things about Aveeno though, and now I really want to try it out. Thanks for taking the time to help me ^^

Anxious Human

festival of sheep
Bellyaches Method

I thought it would be okay because my brother was using it and his skin was clearing up nicely. But everyone's skin is different. I went home for the weekend and forgot the bottles in my dorm room, and my skin definitely feels better since I stopped.
I've been using Neutrogena moisturizer for years though, but if I still have dry skin, I guess it's not doing its job. I've heard really good things about Aveeno though, and now I really want to try it out. Thanks for taking the time to help me ^^
No problem. smile
festival of sheep
During my final exams, I developed a few stress-triggered zits, and over spring break, I bought a 30-trial of Proactive. I'm getting mixed results at the moment, with a few new zits and some redness appearing during the first two weeks, but it's starting to improve. My problem is, I've started to notice a lot of small bumps on my skin. They're definitely not acne since they are a lot smaller and are the same color as my skin (no redness or anything). I don't know if this is because of the Proactive (my roommate says my skin could be having some sort of reaction to the chemicals in it) or something more or less serious.

I'm pretty upset because despite the occasional acne, I have really nice skin. So my questions are

- Should I stop using Proactive and let my skin heal on its own or should I continue with the rest of my 30 trial and let the medicine do its job?

- Does anyone know any good remedies for clearing up skin? DIY face masks or recommended products?

P.S. My skin is a bit dry. I use sunscreen almost every day, moisturize my skin twice daily, and do a weekly face pack.

I have a similar problem. Dermatologist didn't exactly know what it was, but they told me it was anxiety induced hives. Mine seems to be a bit more severe, I have red bumps and rashes appear all over my entire body. Either way, I would suggest asking your doctor for some fluocinonide cream, my skin starts to improve within hours after administering this.
medic61310
festival of sheep

I have a similar problem. Dermatologist didn't exactly know what it was, but they told me it was anxiety induced hives. Mine seems to be a bit more severe, I have red bumps and rashes appear all over my entire body. Either way, I would suggest asking your doctor for some fluocinonide cream, my skin starts to improve within hours after administering this.

The anxiety thing makes sense since I was extremely stressed from final exams, and I bet the Proactive only made it worse. I don't think it's that bad to have to go to the doctor, but if it persists or gets worse, I'll ask. Thank you :3
Sorry to be hijacking your thread here, but I've had some skin bump problems as well...

A couple of months ago, I noticed a "bubble" of skin, not much bigger than a millimeter across, a little bit below my right index finger's lowest knuckle. Assuming it's a zit, I try and pop it. Instead, I just end up pinching skin and removing... nothing but skin.

Odder still, it grows back. The thing was removed, cut off of my skin, and in a couple of weeks, the bump is back! So I've had this pustule, bump, carcinoma... THING on my hand for months. It's not doing any cancerous spreading or anything, but it will randomly hurt from time to time. Similar bumps popped up elsewhere on my hand, but none seem to be as prolific as this knuckle dwelling jerk.

I've gone to medical websites, I've looked into tons of possible causes, but nothing's given me a complete match. S'yeah.

It's about twice the size of the head of a pin. It's a bit lighter than the rest of my skin, but not quite white, and it has a red rim around it (actually that could be from my constant prodding of it, but I dunno.).

Does anybody know what this is?

(I bolded some things for the TL;DR crowd. My nurses are dumb as ********, and my folks can't afford to drag me into the doctor's for now. I'll make due here, I reckon.)
Densetsu 004
Sorry to be hijacking your thread here, but I've had some skin bump problems as well...

A couple of months ago, I noticed a "bubble" of skin, not much bigger than a millimeter across, a little bit below my right index finger's lowest knuckle. Assuming it's a zit, I try and pop it. Instead, I just end up pinching skin and removing... nothing but skin.

Odder still, it grows back. The thing was removed, cut off of my skin, and in a couple of weeks, the bump is back! So I've had this pustule, bump, carcinoma... THING on my hand for months. It's not doing any cancerous spreading or anything, but it will randomly hurt from time to time. Similar bumps popped up elsewhere on my hand, but none seem to be as prolific as this knuckle dwelling jerk.

I've gone to medical websites, I've looked into tons of possible causes, but nothing's given me a complete match. S'yeah.

It's about twice the size of the head of a pin. It's a bit lighter than the rest of my skin, but not quite white, and it has a red rim around it (actually that could be from my constant prodding of it, but I dunno.).

(I bolded some things for the TL;DR crowd. My nurses are dumb as ********, and my folks can't afford to drag me into the doctor's for now. I'll make due here, I reckon.)

Since a medical website didn't give you a match, it's probably not something caused by your own body. It could be something you're exposing your hands to that is irritating to the skin. That would explain why it's coming back if you're being repeatedly exposed. Could be something like a cleaning detergent or chemical... idk. Think back if there was anything change in routine that you started around the same time.
festival of sheep
Densetsu 004

Since a medical website didn't give you a match, it's probably not something caused by your own body. It could be something you're exposing your hands to that is irritating to the skin. That would explain why it's coming back if you're being repeatedly exposed. Could be something like a cleaning detergent or chemical... idk. Think back if there was anything change in routine that you started around the same time.

Thanks!
Switching acne products is harsh on the skin, you need to let your skin adjust to the product to get results. I would continue with your free trial before stopping or switching. The face is extremely sensitive to changes, even shaving with a different razor (for guys) can provoke a reaction.
Paul Butcher V2
Switching acne products is harsh on the skin, you need to let your skin adjust to the product to get results. I would continue with your free trial before stopping or switching. The face is extremely sensitive to changes, even shaving with a different razor (for guys) can provoke a reaction.

That's what my friend told me. It's supposed to take a while for my skin to get used to it, but I stopped for a few days when I was at home and the bumps are already starting to going away and I haven't gotten anymore zits. Thanks for your input though! biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff