Welcome to Gaia! ::

Divine Zealot

Chayce West
I had to fast for religious reasons (and this includes no water) and it's a b***h.

Ouch. Dry fast. Mind if I inquire about the religious reasons? You can send a PM if you'd rather not post it up here.

Quote:
It really, really sucks. I felt sluggish, cold, tired and really angry all the time. I don't recommend it.

I got the cold and sluggish part, but I never had the cranky one. Are you used to fasting outside of this?

Quote:
That being said, it helps me focus on why I need to eat/why I eat certain foods. It helped me recognize my eating habits, which included mindless eating and stress eating. When you're fasting, it really makes you take a critical look on why you eat/your pattern of food consumption. In that case, and ONLY in that case, I recommend it. So fast for 1 day if you (like me) had no idea about your daily eating habits. This can also be done by writing a food diary. But I always got lazy/cheated on my food diary, so it was useless.

All good reasons to consider it.

Quote:
Fasting is also used by medical professionals to track the daily fluctuations in blood sugar. If you're getting blood work, they usually tell you to fast so they can accurately measure insulin and glucose and whatnot. Knowing your body's natural rhythm can be helpful. It can also help you listen to your body and let you know what times you should be eating.

Yep. It can certainly help as it helps to diagnose metabolic disorders in general, especially seeing as the body is designed to be capable of bouts of short-term fasting.

Quote:
The whole 3 meals a day/6 frequent small meals a day thing is a load of crap. Eat when your body is telling you to.

This is pretty much my favorite quote in H&F history. heart

No comment on the rest, I think.
Wraiem
Chayce West
I had to fast for religious reasons (and this includes no water) and it's a b***h.

Ouch. Dry fast. Mind if I inquire about the religious reasons? You can send a PM if you'd rather not post it up here.

Quote:
It really, really sucks. I felt sluggish, cold, tired and really angry all the time. I don't recommend it.

I got the cold and sluggish part, but I never had the cranky one. Are you used to fasting outside of this?

Quote:
That being said, it helps me focus on why I need to eat/why I eat certain foods. It helped me recognize my eating habits, which included mindless eating and stress eating. When you're fasting, it really makes you take a critical look on why you eat/your pattern of food consumption. In that case, and ONLY in that case, I recommend it. So fast for 1 day if you (like me) had no idea about your daily eating habits. This can also be done by writing a food diary. But I always got lazy/cheated on my food diary, so it was useless.

All good reasons to consider it.

Quote:
Fasting is also used by medical professionals to track the daily fluctuations in blood sugar. If you're getting blood work, they usually tell you to fast so they can accurately measure insulin and glucose and whatnot. Knowing your body's natural rhythm can be helpful. It can also help you listen to your body and let you know what times you should be eating.

Yep. It can certainly help as it helps to diagnose metabolic disorders in general, especially seeing as the body is designed to be capable of bouts of short-term fasting.

Quote:
The whole 3 meals a day/6 frequent small meals a day thing is a load of crap. Eat when your body is telling you to.

This is pretty much my favorite quote in H&F history. heart

No comment on the rest, I think.

It's part of the "Muslim month of Ramadan" thing. No eating/drinking every day from sunrise till sunset. From crescent moon to crescent moon (the Muslim calendar is lunar). It's not a big deal when Ramadan falls in the winter (really short days so fasting lasts for <8 hours) but it really sucks when it's in July/August (which it happens to be this year), so approximately 16 hours of fasting.

I've been fasting a month every year since I was about 6, so I'd say I'm pretty used to it. I think it's just me personally that gets cranky when I don't drink water because then I have a dehydration headache so I get pretty irritable. Ha, thanks. There's just so much misinformation among fitness professionals, someone just had to tell the truth lol. Eating in a routine seeks to eliminate bored eating, but it isn't the rule of the land.

Divine Zealot

Chayce West
It's part of the "Muslim month of Ramadan" thing. No eating/drinking every day from sunrise till sunset. From crescent moon to crescent moon (the Muslim calendar is lunar). It's not a big deal when Ramadan falls in the winter (really short days so fasting lasts for <8 hours) but it really sucks when it's in July/August (which it happens to be this year), so approximately 16 hours of fasting.

I was thinking Muslim, but I know of various other faiths that do so as well. Confirmation is a beautiful thing. razz I didn't realize that it can be done at various times of the year, though. I suppose Islam has it's own calendar?

Quote:
I've been fasting a month every year since I was about 6, so I'd say I'm pretty used to it. I think it's just me personally that gets cranky when I don't drink water because then I have a dehydration headache so I get pretty irritable.

Do you eat / drink after sunset?

Quote:
Ha, thanks. There's just so much misinformation among fitness professionals, someone just had to tell the truth lol. Eating in a routine seeks to eliminate bored eating, but it isn't the rule of the land.

Definitely. I've been saying this a while now myself.

I myself follow an eating window of about 8 hours. Starts around noon, ends around 8. (I change it up now and then, however, to keep variety.) So I fast around 16 hours. However, I'm granted the fortune to sleep during the majority of those. However, even when I go through days without eating, I've never had the cranky part, dry or wet. To each their own, I guess. razz
Wraiem
Chayce West

I was thinking Muslim, but I know of various other faiths that do so as well. Confirmation is a beautiful thing. razz I didn't realize that it can be done at various times of the year, though. I suppose Islam has it's own calendar?

Quote:
I've been fasting a month every year since I was about 6, so I'd say I'm pretty used to it. I think it's just me personally that gets cranky when I don't drink water because then I have a dehydration headache so I get pretty irritable.

Do you eat / drink after sunset?

Quote:
Ha, thanks. There's just so much misinformation among fitness professionals, someone just had to tell the truth lol. Eating in a routine seeks to eliminate bored eating, but it isn't the rule of the land.

Definitely. I've been saying this a while now myself.

I myself follow an eating window of about 8 hours. Starts around noon, ends around 8. (I change it up now and then, however, to keep variety.) So I fast around 16 hours. However, I'm granted the fortune to sleep during the majority of those. However, even when I go through days without eating, I've never had the cranky part, dry or wet. To each their own, I guess. razz

I'm not that religious, but I like fasting for fasting's sake. Yeah, Islam has its own calendar. It follows the cycles of the moon, so the months shift around. And yes, you eat/drink after sunset. It's not a huge ongoing fast, but it becomes routine. That sounds really disciplined, good for you. I tend to graze randomly throughout the day and it tapers off before bedtime. That's really good! More fasting then, ha. My body reacts if I don't eat/drink regularly by making me cranky unfortunately -_- But it's all good.

Divine Zealot

Chayce West
I'm not that religious, but I like fasting for fasting's sake. Yeah, Islam has its own calendar. It follows the cycles of the moon, so the months shift around.

I see. I neglected the "Crescent to crescent" bit on your other post.

Quote:
And yes, you eat/drink after sunset. It's not a huge ongoing fast, but it becomes routine.

I see. Do you know of any who eschew food the entire time, and just drink water after sunset? Sounds like something someone more religious might do.

Quote:
That sounds really disciplined, good for you.

If left to my own devices, I try to emulate eating patterns off of an assumed hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Wake up, tend to what needs tended too, go out for a hunt, bring it back. Cooking optional. The gatherers go gather, and then everything gets collected, and consumed in a feast type manner, where it would take a while to consume all of the stuff. Without refrigeration, stuff can spoil otherwise, after all. Once every couple of weeks will be larger feasting days, where I just eat when I'm hungry, regardless of time. This is usually nice to have around big holidays, like Thanksgiving, or Winter holidays. And occasionally, I'll fast a day or two.

Quote:
I tend to graze randomly throughout the day and it tapers off before bedtime. That's really good! More fasting then, ha. My body reacts if I don't eat/drink regularly by making me cranky unfortunately -_- But it's all good.

At least you're aware of it. razz
Wraiem
Chayce West
I'm not that religious, but I like fasting for fasting's sake. Yeah, Islam has its own calendar. It follows the cycles of the moon, so the months shift around.

I see. I neglected the "Crescent to crescent" bit on your other post.

Quote:
And yes, you eat/drink after sunset. It's not a huge ongoing fast, but it becomes routine.

I see. Do you know of any who eschew food the entire time, and just drink water after sunset? Sounds like something someone more religious might do.

Quote:
That sounds really disciplined, good for you.

If left to my own devices, I try to emulate eating patterns off of an assumed hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Wake up, tend to what needs tended too, go out for a hunt, bring it back. Cooking optional. The gatherers go gather, and then everything gets collected, and consumed in a feast type manner, where it would take a while to consume all of the stuff. Without refrigeration, stuff can spoil otherwise, after all. Once every couple of weeks will be larger feasting days, where I just eat when I'm hungry, regardless of time. This is usually nice to have around big holidays, like Thanksgiving, or Winter holidays. And occasionally, I'll fast a day or two.

Quote:
I tend to graze randomly throughout the day and it tapers off before bedtime. That's really good! More fasting then, ha. My body reacts if I don't eat/drink regularly by making me cranky unfortunately -_- But it's all good.

At least you're aware of it. razz

No, you're not allowed to eschew food the entire time. You're required to break your fast at sunset with food and water. More religious people fast outside of Ramadan. But you're not allowed to fast on the Feast Day at the end of Ramadan.

Seriously? That sounds like you should try the paleo diet then, I heard it's based off of the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. It sounds grand. I'd like to live off of the land. I'm too much of a picky wimp that needs copious amounts of quinoa and berries to survive though.

I think it's really cool that people fast for non-religious reasons. For the longest time I thought only Muslims had to and it really annoyed me, but then I realized that anyone can fast at any time for many reasons. All the power to ya.

Divine Zealot

Chayce West
No, you're not allowed to eschew food the entire time. You're required to break your fast at sunset with food and water. More religious people fast outside of Ramadan. But you're not allowed to fast on the Feast Day at the end of Ramadan.

I see, I see. Thanks for the info. 3nodding

Quote:
Seriously? That sounds like you should try the paleo diet then, I heard it's based off of the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. It sounds grand.

Wouldn't you figure? I'm already an advocate of the paleo diet. Or, at least a variation. Unlike some of the others, I don't share the same hatred for carbohydrate. razz However, there are a few financial issues that are preventing me from doing so properly. It is, however, where I grab some of my insight on diet and of course, apply other various aspects to it as well, when possible.

Quote:
I'd like to live off of the land. I'm too much of a picky wimp that needs copious amounts of quinoa and berries to survive though.

Well, not everyone is exactly raised to live that way either. A shame, really. Survival skills should be a part of elementary school education, with summer break putting those skills into action, kinda like a camping thing.

Quote:
I think it's really cool that people fast for non-religious reasons. For the longest time I thought only Muslims had to and it really annoyed me, but then I realized that anyone can fast at any time for many reasons. All the power to ya.

I've done a 14 day water fast once. I was aiming for 30, but stuff comes up. It was mostly to determine my eating habits. Even when I wasn't hungry (Ketosis is awesome), I still found myself walking to the fridge because I was bored. I'm a little more mindful of those things now because of it.

Islam tends to be a lot of people's introduction into the concept of fasting. However, it's also practices in other Eastern religions as well. However, most of these are usually done by monks and the like. Islam might be the only means people see of non-ascetics doing that sorta thing. However, I often wonder what pops into someone's mind when they hear the word "fasting." I mean, we do it all night long, after all. Along with other negative connotations (such as the eating disorders mentioned earlier), myths just pop up everywhere about it.

I should make a thread on this stuff one of these days. razz

Fashionable Genius

i v o r y_s u n s h i n e
What is a healthy way to go about it?

I would say the healthiest route to go about this is burning more than you consume. First, find out your personal calorie intake, and then make sure you eat 500 calories less than that- that is to say exercising is apart of your daily regemine- if not, then I highly recommend you do so since strength training is the number one fat burner. The more muscle to put on, the more fat you burn. :] Also carb cycling is very effective since it shocks your metabolism to burning more. I highly recommend looking this little number up. ^.^

Sparkly Genius

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Team Edward 100
Wraiem
SceneDreamVampireQueen
First of all, if it's to lose weight then don't even try.

Agreeing with this.

Quote:
I've suffered from anorexia since I was nine. Trust me. I know.

I don't see how this is relevant.

Quote:
How long are you going to go? Because if you don't drink anything for three days, you die. If you don't eat anything for three weeks, you die. I don't think that looking for advice on something like this through a forum (especially one where most of the posters are kids) is a very good/smart idea.

This forum comes with a disclaimer about essentially taking everything said here with a grain of salt. That said, most fasting is a water fast, where you consume only water, and eschew the rest. The amount of time one can last without food varies from person to person, of course. There are relatively healthy people manage to go about 40 days, and obese people going up to about 3 months. All of these on water, of course. Juicing might allow one to go longer, but with less impressive numbers.

Quote:
Like that other person said, go visit a doctor before you try anything like that. Even if you want to start counting calories or sugar intake. See your doctor or a nutritionist.

A doctor is most likely not going to recommend fasting, at all, and will encourage against it.

Quote:
In case you didn't know, you can die from this if you go about it the wrong way. It's fine if it's for a short time or for a body cleanse thing, but if it's for weight loss don't even try.

True, you can die from this, done improperly. It's why she's asking for advice. The body is always cleansing. Every moment, of every day. It's called autophagy, and it's how the body removes waste. Unless you're eating garbage to produce more waste than you can expel, there isn't really a problem.

Quote:
Once you start eating again, you'll gain back every pound you lost, and then some. Twice as fast.

Not necessarily. Some things to consider.

After about 3 days of no eating, the body loses all of it's glycogen stores, and begins to live off of fat, and muscle tissues (through gluconeogenesis) for the brain's carbohydrate demand. To store glycogen, the body stores it in the liver, and in muscle with water. Once you begin eating again, and if any of that is carbohydrate (because it most likely will be unless you decide to fast prior to going on a ketogenic diet), most of this "weight gained back" is going to be water, and about 10-20 lbs of it.

If you're 400 lbs, and eating properly / exercising right after, you'll be able to expect to gain back about 20 lbs, at the most. The only way to shoot back up to 400 again would be to eat the same way that got you to 400 lbs in the first place. This is going to be much different than someone who only needed to lose 20 lbs in the first place, only to gain it back very quickly in water, is a different story.

The first case is that the person is being irresponsible, and not eating properly. The second case is simple biology that shows that people freak out over water weight, that will flood in and out and vary anyway.

If you gain more than a lb a day, it's a pretty safe bet that it's water, or you're consuming 4500+ calories a day.

Thank the heavens, someone in this health forum has something intelligent to say. AGREED on all fronts!

Divine Zealot

lightkeeper
Thank the heavens, someone in this health forum has something intelligent to say. AGREED on all fronts!

Why thank you.

Niskey
i v o r y_s u n s h i n e
What is a healthy way to go about it?

I would say the healthiest route to go about this is burning more than you consume. First, find out your personal calorie intake, and then make sure you eat 500 calories less than that-

The OP is asking for advice on fasting. By default, she's already going to be in a deficit. While this is certainly great advice for someone who isn't planning on fasting, in this context, it's a bit off topic. This is purely semantics on my part, though, as you could be recommending to not fast, and instead follow this, in which case, I would agree to this being the superior method. (Though I may disagree with the 500 calories part.)

Quote:
that is to say exercising is apart of your daily regemine- if not, then I highly recommend you do so since strength training is the number one fat burner. The more muscle to put on, the more fat you burn. :]

The amount of calories added muscle puts onto your BMR is hardly worth noting, somewhere in the ballpark of about 7-10 calories per pound at rest. If all of those calories came from fat, that would be roughly 1 gram of fat, per pound of muscle, a day at rest.. Better off sticking to a deficit through exercise or just eating less, than hoping muscle is going to help at all.

>Source

Quote:
Also carb cycling is very effective since it shocks your metabolism to burning more. I highly recommend looking this little number up. ^.^

Last I checked, carbohydrate cycling worked by encouraging the repletion of glycogen stores in the muscle and liver. To maintain high amounts of carbohydrate would mean a low fat meals, giving your body little fat to store. (As fat is almost always directly stored as fat, and then burned off when needed, where as carbohydrates tend to be shuffled off to be stored as glycogen.) Not to mention, the huge benefit it would have on insulin sensitivity. It wouldn't necessarily be "shocking the metabolism," so much as hacking at our biology. Still recommended, though, just not for the reason you gave.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff