Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweetest Doll

22,500 Points
  • Confectioner’s Sweetest Confession 100
  • Chocolate Champion: Sundae! 50
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
Do you have any dieting and exercise tips? I want to get fit and feel great, but in a HEALTHY way. No puking up food or starving myself for me.

What are some healthy ways to get in shape? Are there any personal tips and experiences you could share with me?

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
For a 17 year old girl first start out,

At least 20 mins of cardio 3x a week. Trick here is intensity. Get the heart rate going.

At least 3 mins of strength training 3x a week. Pretty flexible here, but you'll want to train all parts of your body (legs and back are two parts that you may not think of right away). Pick a resistance heavy enough to do 8-10 reps before you fail.

Most importantly: diet. Eat a healthy, balanced diet. This will do more for your health than anything else. You don't have to count your calories, but have a good idea of what you're eating. Also, balance your macronutrients. Avoid empty calories like soda, and processed foods (including snack foods). Drink plenty of water.

Bashful Explorer

PEYA SAKANO
Do you have any dieting and exercise tips? I want to get fit and feel great, but in a HEALTHY way. No puking up food or starving myself for me.

What are some healthy ways to get in shape? Are there any personal tips and experiences you could share with me?

read the 80/10/10 diet by Dr. Douglas N. Graham. It's high calorie high carb high energy. I eat this way and feel great.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Caloric deficit, that's the only method that I've seen work. 1200 a day, no more no less- well, have cheat days wink allow a few days to add another 500 calories to the day. But make sure that the bulk of your 1200 is healthy foods like veggies, fruits, nuts, complex carbs, dairy (optional), and lean meats. But definitely the veggies, since you get more volume for less calories and more nutrients.
Something I do, which works for me as well, is I skip dinner. I make sure my lunch is my heaviest meal, so I'm not hungry at night. Has never failed me. But some people will say 6 small meals, that's fine too, but it doesn't work for me.
Whoever told you that puking and starving yourself is a means to being "healthy" needs to be punched in the throat by Bruce Lee...

Diets are a terrible idea. They are temporary and about 80% of the people who partake in a diet of any kind end up gaining it back, plus more. Any nutritionist or trainer of worth listening to will tell you the same thing.

Being in shape is about eating healthy and exercise. If you're trying to lose weight, find a method to calculate how many calories you need to maintain your body weight, and eat fewer than that. There are 3500 calories in a pound. Calculate how many calories you need to take in to create a caloric deficit that will allow you to lose 1 pound a week.

Nutrition and hydration are important as well. Take a multivitamin every morning and drink 3.5 liters of water every day.

Eat healthy. Fruits, vegetables; get your macronutrients: Protein, carbs, fats... Avoid trans fats and saturated fats.

Avoid diet sodas by all costs. They're the biggest lie out there when it comes to body image because of the aspartame (Artificial sweetener).

Good luck.

Shameless Conversationalist

8,700 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Diet isn't the answer Hun. The only real way to get fit and healthy is to alter your lifestyle.

Personally, the key to health in my opinion is in the food. If you eat better, you feel better. (Of course, if you have weight loss in your mind. You need to be active.)

I'm all for a diet that excludes red meats, (no more pork or beef), and a major limitation in processed foods. And drink water! One thing that will help you shed pounds is to no longer drink calories, with the exception being 100% fruit juice, smoothies, or teas. Sodas, especially diet ones are very bad for your health and pack on pounds and pounds in the long run.

But never start anything full throttle, you'll wear yourself out. And when you do (and everyone does) don't beat yourself up for that Hershey bar or Pepsi! Just keep eating better and exercising. (Personally I eat a small piece of chocolate every day. )

Also you may want to look into your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), Just Google "BMR calculator."
Your BMR compares your weight and height. And then tells you how many calories you burn by doing absolutely nothing. Mine is 1,200kal/day, I am 5'3, 115lbs. Because I am short I don't need much food.
But the important thing to keep in mind with the BMR, is that you should rarely aim for more than 100kal under it. Otherwise your body goes into starvation mode, and you will metabolize fat inefficiently.

I could go on more about yams and kale, but I don't wanna make you go crazy.
The best thing you can do for yourself is research.

Learn how to exercise, what foods to eat and which to avoid. Learn what companies put in processed food. Especially the reasons why it is best to avoid red meat! Some of the facts you will learn about food will gross you out enough they will no longer be appetizing. If you have a Tumblr, look for fitblrs (fitness blogs), they will motivate you everyday, show you success stories and recipes, and they love making new friends!

Sorry for this massive post. I've always been a bit of a nutrition fan-girl. My family can not stand it.
Though if you have any questions about food feel free to ask!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff