Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Hey there H&FF,

I was wondering if there might be anyone who has an idea why I've been sleeping 12+ hours on the days that I don't need to be up for anything or anyone. I'm finding it to become a persistent thing. I will wake up numerous times in the morning due to my annoying cat howling for attention, but I will just want to roll over and go back to sleep (and I do). This will happen close to twenty times before I do decide to get up, in which case I feel like a zombie.

Anyone have an issue similar to this? Any advice?

Thanks.

Tipsy Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
There could be a TON of different reasons that this is happening. I suggest checking it up with a doctor.
as mentioned, there could be a ton of reasons. One that is really common in teenagers (if you are one) is the effects of how long you're sleeping before you wake up the first time. if you sleep to long your body kinda does this short term hibernation where it then becomes very hard to get out of bed but you'll wake up numerous times. Try setting your alarm to maybe an hour before your cat would wake you up and see if that helps at all. It helped me!

Frozen Fairy

That's me when I eat too much starch(wheat, potatoes, rice etc. . .), usually gets better when I eat paleo/keto.
That's me anyway.
Don't mean you're the same.

What are all the other symptoms you have? ie: muscle pain, lethargy etc. . .

Newbie Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I guess my original post didn't describe how severely tired I've been feeling. When I got up at 3:30 in the afternoon yesterday I was exhausted, even after getting well over 12 hours of sleep. I felt very weak and drowsy, became short of breath when I stood for a long period of time. I took a bath around 4 and almost fell asleep in the tub (which almost never happens because I have a fear of drowning in the tub if I fall asleep). My boyfriend and I were supposed to go grocery shopping but I could hardly make it through that. When I got home I went back to bed, slept through last night without disturbance, and now here I am...wanting to take a nap. :[

I took some iron supplements last night thinking that maybe I have an iron deficiency. I'll see if doing that over the next week improves anything.

I'm thinking about taking the advice from several people on this thread and going to see a doctor. I have a sneaky suspicion that I might be suffering from sleep apnea. Also, the cat yowling in the middle of the night and the boyfriend snoring like an avalanche probably doesn't help. -.- On top of the anxiety issues and troubling falling asleep...

Ruthless Mage

10,350 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Member 100
  • Friendly 100
Hypersomnia?

Newbie Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
worldcrafter
Hypersomnia?

I'm not sure. What are the symptoms of hypersomnia?

Ruthless Mage

10,350 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Member 100
  • Friendly 100
michicachan999
worldcrafter
Hypersomnia?

People with idiopathic hypersomnia struggle so much to stay awake during the day, they are compelled to take frequent long naps. These may be at inappropriate times, such as during a conversation or meal, or while driving.
Naps tend not to provide any relief from the sleepiness – someone with idiopathic hypersomnia rarely feels refreshed.
As well as sleeping throughout the day, most people with the disorder usually sleep for more than 10 hours a night and struggle to wake in the morning because they feel very drowsy and confused upon waking ('sleep drunkenness'). The quality of sleep in idiopathic hypersomnia is generally very good.

have mental health problems such as anxiety or depression
lose their appetite
have low energy
be restless or agitated
think or speak slowly
have trouble remembering

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypersomnia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Newbie Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
worldcrafter
michicachan999
worldcrafter
Hypersomnia?

People with idiopathic hypersomnia struggle so much to stay awake during the day, they are compelled to take frequent long naps. These may be at inappropriate times, such as during a conversation or meal, or while driving.
Naps tend not to provide any relief from the sleepiness – someone with idiopathic hypersomnia rarely feels refreshed.
As well as sleeping throughout the day, most people with the disorder usually sleep for more than 10 hours a night and struggle to wake in the morning because they feel very drowsy and confused upon waking ('sleep drunkenness'). The quality of sleep in idiopathic hypersomnia is generally very good.

have mental health problems such as anxiety or depression
lose their appetite
have low energy
be restless or agitated
think or speak slowly
have trouble remembering

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypersomnia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

This pretty much fits what happens to a T.

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Get up, a REM cycle is 90 minutes if wake up (aka be disturbed during the cycle) you brain goes into shock and you want to sleep again. And diet and exercise are needed for any one with prior issues. Its not normal but it can be manageable. You aren't alone, just a bit misguided. I used to sleep 14 hours a day, at least, and now I sleep 6, and all it took was a few years of life style changes and strict schedules. It isn't easy but you will feel better!

Timid Sex Symbol

11,300 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Regular 100
on the days you may be waking up early you could be cutting "needed" sleep hours down, so on days you dont have to do anything, your body takes it as a chance to sleep in more. i notice that happens to me. or else depending on how much im working out, how long ive been at work , what im eating, what im watching on tv. honestly its a crap shoot of what could be making you sleep that long, but in general i would say no more than 10 hours of sleep because it throws your body off (or it does for me at least)
do you get muscle pain and feel out of breath and dizzy a lot as well?
There could be a number of reasons why this is happening and to give a more accurate answer I would need more details. A shift in the level of stress in your life or your emotional state could make a difference. The desire to sleep more than normal is a sign of depression. It could also be as simple as work has been more physically demanding and your body requires the rest. I would agree that you should see a medical professional at some point if it persists. It could be something as simple as your diet, or a more complex problem that demands medical attention.

Wheezing Plague

There could be a lot of reaons as to why you're sleeping lots and being tired despite sleeping..

One reason that I can think of, aside from the ones I've seen mentioned on the first page, could be sleep apnea. It's basically issues breahing properly when asleep, which'll make you tired despite sleeping.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff