Welcome to Gaia! ::

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
Slutty_Eddie
Enlightened Despot
I've noticed things like sodas and most foods have sodium in them. I've been having one of those cup of noodles ramen things for lunch for the past few days and I noticed that it had 1040mg of sodium in it. Should I be worried about this? Right now I'm more conscious of my calorie consumption.
Sort of, but not really.

If your unhealthy, sodium really matters, but if you're healthy, not so much. If you're healthy, then it's not very taxing on your body. It might have an effect way down the road, but that hasn't really been proven.

However, I personally recommend trying to reducing it. You won't have a healthy heart forever, and a lot of things high in sodium are bad for you in other ways. Drinking extra water doesn't seem to have much of an an effect on the amount of sodium in your blood stream, so reducing consumption is pretty much the only way to reduce it in your blood stream.
I still want to be conscious of what I put into my body more often. It would be horrible to find out those ramen noodles are going to kill me someday. gonk

Greedy Phantom

Enlightened Despot
Orubaid
Sodium is the first cause of high blood pressure! ..At least in my country ^^U, You should try to consume as few as possible, and never add more than one measure of a bic ballpen cap of salt to your food during all the day.

Did I said that correctly?? Hahaha I still need to practice my english grammar
What country do you live in? I'm just curious. I would think my country, the U.S has the worst sodium and blood pressure correlation. lol Thanks for the tip.

Hahah I live in Chile, thought probably in all Occident it's like that. We all eat too much salt emo

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
Orubaid
Enlightened Despot
Orubaid
Sodium is the first cause of high blood pressure! ..At least in my country ^^U, You should try to consume as few as possible, and never add more than one measure of a bic ballpen cap of salt to your food during all the day.

Did I said that correctly?? Hahaha I still need to practice my english grammar
What country do you live in? I'm just curious. I would think my country, the U.S has the worst sodium and blood pressure correlation. lol Thanks for the tip.

Hahah I live in Chile, thought probably in all Occident it's like that. We all eat too much salt emo
Wow, Chile? Have you ever seen the Incan ruins? surprised

And yeah, we're all fat; it's the entire hemisphere too.
Enlightened Despot
I've noticed things like sodas and most foods have sodium in them. I've been having one of those cup of noodles ramen things for lunch for the past few days and I noticed that it had 1040mg of sodium in it. Should I be worried about this? Right now I'm more conscious of my calorie consumption.

Your kidneys needs to filter it, and if they can't do it fast enough it basicly overflows.
So the sodium reaches your blood, and since sodium holds water and I think attracts it even, it will increase the volume of your blood.
So imagine pumping water through a small pipe, and after that something thick like oil, you will need to pump harder to get the same results.
So your heart has to pump harder, which also increases your blood pressure and you don't want that.

2300mg is about the max you should get a day, but you should aim for less.
Especially now you should try to keep it low untill your kidneys have gotten the chance to filter out the excess sodium.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff