Welcome to Gaia! ::

IRL Noob

I am scared to take birth control because I am worried about the ways it will affect my body. It is really difficult for my boyfriend to c** with a condom on. He says it is extremely uncomfortable and slightly painful and because of it he has never came during sex. So I am thinking about taking birth control but I am scared of all the side affects. Do you guys recommend any birth control with the least amount of side affects/ or birth control with more minor side affects? I know everyone is different but I just want to hear your opinions about different types of birthcontrol/different brands/ ect. Thank you so much for your input heart
The best thing to do would be to consult your doctor or whomever you will receive the pills from. You can't get them over the counter. You can inquire about different brands, but your doctor will give you the best one to suit your needs/your body.

Eloquent Lover

I don't think you should be replacing condoms with hormonal birth control, and I am sure your doctor will tell you the same thing.

Even if you do, your boyfriend will need to address the issues regarding his dislike of condoms.

If this is a real problem for him, he should try different brands of condoms to find something he feels comfortable with. He should try lubricated and unlubricated, and try using magnum condoms or any brand that caters to a larger size to see if the extra room takes some of the pressure off. You could also try a female condom, which eliminates the pressure of the latex. Encourage him to masturbate with condoms to feel more comfortable with them. Condoms are not just a pregnancy prevention, they are a way of life for all of us--to protect from diseases, to keep women safe from UTIs and other discomforts, and as an essential show of respect.

If he is putting this pressure on you regarding condoms, ask yourself why he is making this about you, telling you to find other birth control, and not about him and his problem with condoms. Saying he cannot c** or that they are painful is a line used by manipulators and liars to get what they want, and is not an adult approach to birth control and sexual health. He should not be pressuring you not to use condoms. The decision to stop using condoms is a big one, and one I don't think should ever be made, and certainly not like this.

You did say you were afraid to seek other birth control methods, and I don't want you to be afraid, so I will touch on that.

I would recommend using hormonal birth control AND condoms.

Here are your basic options.

Estrogen birth control pills
There are many brands and doses and which you use depends on what your doctor recommends and what is available in your area. Some experimentation may be needed to find the pills right for you. These pills are generally taken in 28 day cycles with an off week of placebo pills during which you will have your period like normal. This allows your body to keep its natural cycle. The pills are taken once a day every day at the same time, except during your off week. If you are a few hours late taking your pill you will likely be fine, but its best to use another method of birth control. if you miss a pill, depending on the week you miss them during, they may or may not be effective. Consult your pharmacist in the event of a missed pill.

progesterone only pills
These pills are known as the "mini pill" and are taken every day, with no off week. You will never get your period with these pills, though some women have regular spotting. These pills are more time sensitive, and MUST be taken within two hours of their scheduled time to ensure effectiveness. If you miss a pill, take another as soon as you remember and resume your regular cycle. Use a back up method of birth control for the rest of the pack.

The Patch

The patch is worn on the skin, and releases hormones through the skin in three week cycles.The fourth week the patch is removed and you have your period, and then a new patch is put on. The patch is considered just as effective as birth control pills, however, the patch can sometimes become damaged and fall off, which would make them ineffective! I do not recommend them, if you pick at band aids.

Depo povera shot
This is a shot given every three months. Some women have their period stopped, and others spot regularly while taking the shots. This is not recommended for use more than two years in a row because it has been linked to health problems. The shot is relatively new and some health groups have spoken out about possible dangers of the shot, though it has been cleared by the FDA as safe for women of all age groups, and is as effective as the pill.

Vaginal ring

This is a sponge put inside the v****a which releases hormones. It is worn almost at all times, though it may be removed for sex or to go swimming. It is worn in three week cycles and is removed during the fourth week so that you can have your period. It must be put in and adjusted yourself. Most women dont even notice its there.

Implant
A more long term approach to birth control, the hormonal implant is placed under your skin in your arm or leg and remains there for 2-3 years. The procedure is painless and it is unlikely that the implant will become damaged while it is under your skin. it is flexible and about the size of a match stick. Some women have their period while they have an implant, though most do not. After the 2-3 yearperiod is over, the implant is removed and another can be inserted, if desired.

IUD
An IUD must be placed by a doctor inside if your cervix. It hangs into your v****a and can be felt with your finger tip. It is necessary to adjust the placement of your IUD from time to time, and it may be moved during sex. in rare cases, it can become lodged at an uncomfortable angle and may need to be adjusted by your doctor. Never ignore an IUD which is not hanging correctly. IUDs can be removed by a doctor at any time, and can last up to ten years. Some women have regular spotting with an IUD but most women do not have a period.

Sorry about the wall of text, but those were BIG questions! I hope some of this helps you.

I would never take birth control. I do not want those chemicals inside my body. My husband wears condoms. I would never take any kind of pill I do not need. I do not want to become a slave to the pharmaceutical companies.

Lonely Explorer

8,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Generous 100
  • Team Edward 100
I take it and the only effect its had is some discharge, but apparently natural because nothings wrong with me. It's a bit irritating honestly... Well anyway, you shouldn't be scared to try it. If anything bad happens you just stop taking it and talk to a doctor right away. No big deal.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff