Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I often time see people obsessing over what they see on the scale. Most fail to realize that scales are really only useful when you are extremely overweight. Even then they will deceive you eventually. So it has been three months since my last body fat test and I am going to share the results.

So back on 6/29/2013 I went in for body fat testing. Then my weight was 236.2 lbs, yeah I am not small. With body fat testing you get a lot of extra information, such as lean muscle mass and actual fat mass. The numbers for those are Lean Mass was 156.3 lbs and fat mass was 79.9 lbs. Rounding me off at 34.7% fat. A lot larger than I was expecting, but I knew I was not small to begin with.

Fast forward to today, I went in for my 3 month after test. So first thing I did was get on the scale.... ~drum roll~ my weight is now 244.2 lbs gonk I went up nearly 8 lbs. Now if I was just a scale addict, at this point I would start freaking out. I have been passable with my diet. I work out 5 days a week, I drink as much water as possible. All of these things, yet I managed to gain weight. However, then came the body fat testing portion of the day. I jump in get tested and find out that my lean muscle mass is UP!!! It is now 159.5 lbs. My fat weight is up to 84.7 lbs. Which rounds out my overall body fat percentage to 34.7%.

So lets sit down and take a look at the numbers (I hope this comes out looking nice. sweatdrop )

Weight 236.2 -> 244.2 -> + 8lbs
Lean Mass 156.3 -> 159.5 -> +3.2 lbs
Fat Mass 79.9 -> 84.7 -> +4.8 lbs
Fat Percentage 33.8% -> 34.7% -> +0.9%

So overall if you really look at these numbers, my weight gain is not a bad thing. If anything my weight gain is damn near impressive. It is absurdly hard to add on lean muscle mass to your body. In a short 3 month period I added over 3 lbs. That is huge, true I added fat as well, but that is going to happen when you build muscle as well. So even though I gained weight, I would call this past regiment a success.

So yeah, if I had just seen the scale for this entire process. I would have never known that I am actually gaining muscle. The scale provides a simple and easy solution for seeing how much you weigh. However, at the end of the day when you start plateauing or gaining weight the scale will not show you the truth about your health. So every needs to get off the scale and start using a more informative system for tracking fitness, that is all

Mega Gawker

9,175 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hero 100
Yeah, I have a feeling that scales are not that great for weight. About a year ago I weighed in the 220s. I had recently checked myself on scales and see that I am back to 230, yet my body fat is lower and I moved from wearing XXL to M/L. My fat goes to my arms and gut, but both of them have more definition now. Most people think I am in the 170s and are quite surprised to hear that I am in the 230s.

Hallowed Lunatic

Only those who are concerned with dropping pounds should worry about scales. For someone looking to tone their body or just to get more fit, it isn't about the number and it never will be, because that person's goal isn't to weigh X amount of pounds; it's about feeling better about their actual body and fitness level.
... I don't see how this is a success. I'm glad you're happy with the results, but if those were my numbers, I wouldn't be happy at all.

More fat was added than muscle. I'm pretty sure that's not how a successful diet and exercise regimen is supposed to work. The diet alone should lead to fat loss, if it was actually a decent diet and was followed.

While muscle weighs more than fat, I don't see how it's possible for someone who weighs 236 lbs to work out 5 days a week and not actually lose weight. How could you not have burned fat at all? This is very confusing to me based on everything I know about weight loss. Even if you only lifted weights and did no cardio, you should still have lost fat.

I guess if you choose to only look at the fact that you've gained muscle, then the past three months have gone well. But looking at the whole picture, I know I couldn't feel proud. But I will say, working out 5 days a week for three months is admirable.

What was your goal with your diet and exercise regimen? Are you going to continue what you've been doing, or change your routine going forward?

Divine Zealot

Vlll
Only those who are concerned with dropping pounds should worry about scales. For someone looking to tone their body or just to get more fit, it isn't about the number and it never will be, because that person's goal isn't to weigh X amount of pounds; it's about feeling better about their actual body and fitness level.

Don't forget weight-classed athletes. Just a few ounces could mean the difference in winning, or walking home with a few extra bruises.

Nikias Kicxette

While I agree with you on the number bit, the idea is more that the scale gives you a number with next to no context. It's more important for people freaking out over gaining an extra lb or two. That could be water, or fat, or muscle, etc... Overall, the scale is pretty pointless.
Nikias Kicxette
... I don't see how this is a success. I'm glad you're happy with the results, but if those were my numbers, I wouldn't be happy at all.

More fat was added than muscle. I'm pretty sure that's not how a successful diet and exercise regimen is supposed to work. The diet alone should lead to fat loss, if it was actually a decent diet and was followed.

While muscle weighs more than fat, I don't see how it's possible for someone who weighs 236 lbs to work out 5 days a week and not actually lose weight. How could you not have burned fat at all? This is very confusing to me based on everything I know about weight loss. Even if you only lifted weights and did no cardio, you should still have lost fat.

I guess if you choose to only look at the fact that you've gained muscle, then the past three months have gone well. But looking at the whole picture, I know I couldn't feel proud. But I will say, working out 5 days a week for three months is admirable.

What was your goal with your diet and exercise regimen? Are you going to continue what you've been doing, or change your routine going forward?
My goal is to gain muscle and lean body mass. Truth is that it is really hard to build muscle. Strength has been my goal for the past year or so. Weight loss is actually a secondary goal for me. True I wish that my weight had stay the same, but what can you do?

Plus like I said I have not been as strict with my diet. I know where I went wrong, and I intend to fix that. Still putting on 3 lbs of muscle is pretty big. Your body has to work to build muscle, while storing fat is an easy thing to do. I say look at strong man athletes. Very few of them look super musclar. However, they can lift tons of weight, so they are not unhealthy or anything.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff