Welcome to Gaia! ::

How do you maintain long hair without it getting super frizzy like an amazon jungle?

Dangerous Werewolf

9,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
wash your hair daily,or maybe 2 days once,comb if slowly,if its tied up,use your finger to untie it
SYAHID_FISABILILLAH
wash your hair daily,or maybe 2 days once,comb if slowly,if its tied up,use your finger to untie it

I do that xD
lol my hair is very long but the jungle frizziness is kind of inevitable. I straighten my hair often to keep it as neat as possible for my classes.
Lady Kariel
lol my hair is very long but the jungle frizziness is kind of inevitable. I straighten my hair often to keep it as neat as possible for my classes.

I used to do that omg. .__. my hair was so dead..
jessicasocks
Lady Kariel

I used to do that omg. .__. my hair was so dead..

same here but I'll cut it eventually and it doesn't look dry or anything right now
My hair is currently 25 inches and though it doesn't get tangled often, the arrival of cold weather makes it super frizzy. I'm actually considering cutting it and even getting a new style because I spend more time pulling hair lately.

Shameless Loiterer

Don't over wash, for starters. It seems most people are obsessed with washing their hair at least every other day for the purposes of being "clean", but if your hair isn't greasy it doesn't need shampoo. Most environmental debris and even sweat will come out with just warm water or conditioner. Just my 2 cent on that. You may, of course, have a hair type that requires that frequency of washing and if that is the case then by all means.

Otherwise, you might consider looking into using an apple cider vinegar rinse. It helps with shine, frizziness...the works. The generic recipe for this is: 1 part apple cider vinegar and 2-4 parts water (2 for oily hair 4 for dry), adjusting along the way depending on how your hair reacts. Mix it up and pour it over your hair before you get out of the shower. Some people rinse some of it out, others don't. I prefer not to, but that's up to you. Yes, your hair will smell like vinegar while it is drying, but the smell will be gone by the time it's dry, especially if you use more than 2 parts water. Worst case scenario it's nothing a little spritz of body spray or perfume won't fix.

If you have frequent split ends and/or breakage of any sort you might consider doing the occasional protein treatment as I've noticed this can help with frizz as well. You can either buy these at somewhere like a beauty supply or you can make your own. The DIY egg mask (consult Google) is an example of this, but I prefer to purchase mine for a number of reasons.

You also have the option of using product lines with keratin in them. I've seen this option work well for a number of people, but I don't personally care for it. If you go this route, disregard the idea of protein treatments because the two together is too much protein. Also, if you decide to try these products a clarifying shampoo might be necessary once a month or so as sometimes these products can cause buildup on the hair.

Keatin treatments are also an option, but typically they are pricey, time consuming, and will generally remove most of your natural texture. Not a good option unless you prefer to have your hair straight all of the time.

Lastly, you might consider demi permanent hair color. It has a very low amount of peroxide in it so it isn't particularly damaging and it isn't fully permanent so it will fade out. Just if you go this route get someone to advise you as demi's generally run dark so usually you'll want to go about 2 shades lighter than your hair actually is. I mention this because the slight amount of chemical processing from this sort of dye tends to alter how people's hair behaves...in a good way.

This is all based on working at a beauty supply for 2 years where I spent 40 hours a week dealing with hair problems. Also, up until earlier this year I've always had long hair. Prior to chopping off a massive amount of it twice my hair was around 32 inches.

Garish Crew

That last post is really great advice and good for the health of your hair!

For quick techniques though I recommend:
1. heat protector + quick once over with a straightener to get those bad boys down!
2. run some pomade over your hair. just a teeny tiny bit though since it's really for styling and texturing. but sometimes it helps for frizz!
3. braids and or sock buns after the shower! And then do not brush it out when you take your hair down.

Aged Lunatic

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
SYAHID_FISABILILLAH

DONT WASH YOUR HAIR DAILY.
You'll remove the natural oils that prevent frizzing, split ends and keep your hair healthy and not dead looking.

You could use different hair products that read anti-frizz or something or just use conditioner without shampoo.
When dyeing: don't wash your hair beforehand, especially not when you're bleaching. Your hair will need all the natural oils your body provides to protect it and keep it alive. Wash it after rinsing and then use conditioner.

When I had super long hair I used plastic brushes, but wood was nice to use too. Pighair wasn't much of a success
I just wash my hair every 2 days

Blessed Gaian

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

don't wash it daily...!
use dry shampoo if you feel like your hair needs to be washed everyday.

my hair is 3 feet long and i have naturally wavy hair with frizz.
to help fight frizz i use natural oils and hair serums ^^

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wheezing Plague

You could try googling for a No Poo method (No poo stands for No Shampoo).

The way I found worked the best for my hair was to wash it with eggs and water. My hair turned shiny and got volume without the friss. It's a bit more work than to just squirt shampoo on your head, but it really helped my hair.
BIJINKEI
My hair is currently 25 inches and though it doesn't get tangled often, the arrival of cold weather makes it super frizzy. I'm actually considering cutting it and even getting a new style because I spend more time pulling hair lately.

WOW that is very long O:
I had long hair that reached my chest but it would always get tangled so I ended up cutting it sad
Hahah gl with your new hairstyle (:
Perfect_Itemization
Don't over wash, for starters. It seems most people are obsessed with washing their hair at least every other day for the purposes of being "clean", but if your hair isn't greasy it doesn't need shampoo. Most environmental debris and even sweat will come out with just warm water or conditioner. Just my 2 cent on that. You may, of course, have a hair type that requires that frequency of washing and if that is the case then by all means.

Otherwise, you might consider looking into using an apple cider vinegar rinse. It helps with shine, frizziness...the works. The generic recipe for this is: 1 part apple cider vinegar and 2-4 parts water (2 for oily hair 4 for dry), adjusting along the way depending on how your hair reacts. Mix it up and pour it over your hair before you get out of the shower. Some people rinse some of it out, others don't. I prefer not to, but that's up to you. Yes, your hair will smell like vinegar while it is drying, but the smell will be gone by the time it's dry, especially if you use more than 2 parts water. Worst case scenario it's nothing a little spritz of body spray or perfume won't fix.

If you have frequent split ends and/or breakage of any sort you might consider doing the occasional protein treatment as I've noticed this can help with frizz as well. You can either buy these at somewhere like a beauty supply or you can make your own. The DIY egg mask (consult Google) is an example of this, but I prefer to purchase mine for a number of reasons.

You also have the option of using product lines with keratin in them. I've seen this option work well for a number of people, but I don't personally care for it. If you go this route, disregard the idea of protein treatments because the two together is too much protein. Also, if you decide to try these products a clarifying shampoo might be necessary once a month or so as sometimes these products can cause buildup on the hair.

Keatin treatments are also an option, but typically they are pricey, time consuming, and will generally remove most of your natural texture. Not a good option unless you prefer to have your hair straight all of the time.

Lastly, you might consider demi permanent hair color. It has a very low amount of peroxide in it so it isn't particularly damaging and it isn't fully permanent so it will fade out. Just if you go this route get someone to advise you as demi's generally run dark so usually you'll want to go about 2 shades lighter than your hair actually is. I mention this because the slight amount of chemical processing from this sort of dye tends to alter how people's hair behaves...in a good way.

This is all based on working at a beauty supply for 2 years where I spent 40 hours a week dealing with hair problems. Also, up until earlier this year I've always had long hair. Prior to chopping off a massive amount of it twice my hair was around 32 inches.

My hair gets oily if I don't wash it for a day xD
I've heard from a doctor that apple cider vinegar is actually not good for your scalp O:

WOW, that is very long. Thank you so much for the great tips >.< I might just try purchasing products with keratin in them. I've tried making an egg mask for my hair and it felt gross. I also have tried using mayo but the stench was stuck in my hair for 2 days x.x

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff