Cluttered Healer

13,900 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Invisibility 100
It's been nearly a month since I had my Bunionectomy (left foot) on the 17th of December and I've followed my surgeon's directions since.

For the first week, it was wrapped up securely in bandages plus a special thick sandal and iced it regularly while taking ibuprofen every 6 hours, though it never really hurt. The first week felt the longest, not being able to do much. I went a bit stir crazy at first. When I got to see my foot after that first week, I noticed that it was awfully stiff like a board and I worried about my future flexibility. My surgeon told me I could carefully flex my big toe a little for personal physical therapy and allow water on it.
About two weeks later, I was informed I could start bearing weight without crutches but keep the sandal on. You'd be surprised how much we take carrying bowls and plates full of food for granted. 3nodding Marvelous to do that again. I had my second post op. appointment soon after and my flexibility had not appeared to have improved. If I could bend it any further it was when I pushed it. My ability to do so with toe muscle was about the same. Board-like. He tried to assure me that it would eventually get back to its former flexibility, but I've read about methods that involve moving joints before they stiffen in the first week. I'm having my third post op. appointment tomorrow and I was hoping I could get some more insight from you lovely people if you've experienced this, or any type of surgery before. I'm trying to find a good balance between lightly forcing my toe to bend and making sure the scar doesn't tear, giving it the best chance to heal smoothly. Thank you, and I apologize if this is as dull as I feel it may be to read... sweatdrop