Wealthy Regular

12,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sabyshii
Morbid Obesity
Sabyshii

You raise it by increasing muscle mass. That's about it. Even then, the overall effect is hardly noticeable. Just eating properly will maintain a healthy metabolism. This is why males tend to need more calories than women, we have a higher muscle ratio (usually).

Ideally, my diet would consist of meat, potatoes, dairy, eggs, and fruit. I don't buy into low-carb, and I was never a fan of vegetables. If I have to douse it in cheese, fat, or whatever else, just to make it palatable, I don't think one should eat it. Taste however, is a personal thing. razz

Five pounds might be too little. You might be better off just sticking to the bodyweight stuff. Weights helps with both. Exercise helps maintain a slight caloric deficit helping you lose weight, and makes you stronger at the same time. Win / win.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

10 Inch Inflexible Mahogany Wand, Dragon Heartstring Core

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( you don't NEED to butter steamed veggies, just throw some spices on. but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing, everyone is different. as for me, i could eat veggies of some sort with every meal, every day. i'm not that big into dairy, but i heard that the extra fat in the heavy cream i'll be putting in my coffee is good for the paleo diet because on the paleo diet you're supposed to up your fat intake so you burn fat before muscle. and i'm not even going to be using much at a time. of course, i understand theres like a kajillion different ways to do paleo, i'm kinda picking and choosing for myself what to cut out and what to keep. i'm gonna stop with the yoghurt because i'm not a big fan of it anyway, but the other stuff- toast, rolls, oatmeal, cereal, ramen & other pastas- are being cut out for sure. today and tomorrow i'm letting myself have some carbs, and then sunday i'm starting the diet. but of course once a week i'll eat more carbs in a day just as a cheat day... unless i stop craving them, then i'll just have an extra bit of chocolate or something. )

Yeah, it's still not my thing. razz I eat it if it's given to me, but it's not something I enjoy.

Paleo has various forms. The diet they're imitating comes from our paleolithic ancestors, who's diet ranged from purely carnivorous, to vegetarian. You're always burning fat. You're always burning sugar. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're selling something, and are pretty much forced to take that stance, even if they, in time, decide otherwise.

Low carb "works" because you're eschewing high calorie, low nutrient foods for foods that have lower-calories, and more nutrition. You almost always end up in a caloric deficit, while not being hungry. Many paleo advocates get rid of carbohydrates because a lot of high-toxin foods are carb-heavy, but not all of them necessarily are.

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( you are such a helpful person, im even reading your responses to the other person and it's making me happy. so many people bash on me for one reason or another, i like that you're helpful without being overly critical.

yeah i definitely have an issue with carbs though, i crave them constantly and eat them constantly. the type of diet i would usually follow would be eggs with toast or on a bagel, granola bar, sandwich, random snack most likely milk chocolate or lollipops, hot dog or burger on bun or ramen, then cereal or oatmeal before bed. as you can see, it's basically carbs carbs carbs! which is why this is the first diet i've ever done. i've counted calories, i've cut down on sodas, but up until i discovered paleo i was not willing to try ANY diet, not south beach or weight watchers or anything. this is the only diet i've ever thought could actually do me some good. )

Divine Zealot

Morbid Obesity
Sabyshii
Morbid Obesity
Sabyshii

You raise it by increasing muscle mass. That's about it. Even then, the overall effect is hardly noticeable. Just eating properly will maintain a healthy metabolism. This is why males tend to need more calories than women, we have a higher muscle ratio (usually).

Ideally, my diet would consist of meat, potatoes, dairy, eggs, and fruit. I don't buy into low-carb, and I was never a fan of vegetables. If I have to douse it in cheese, fat, or whatever else, just to make it palatable, I don't think one should eat it. Taste however, is a personal thing. razz

Five pounds might be too little. You might be better off just sticking to the bodyweight stuff. Weights helps with both. Exercise helps maintain a slight caloric deficit helping you lose weight, and makes you stronger at the same time. Win / win.

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( you don't NEED to butter steamed veggies, just throw some spices on. but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing, everyone is different. as for me, i could eat veggies of some sort with every meal, every day. i'm not that big into dairy, but i heard that the extra fat in the heavy cream i'll be putting in my coffee is good for the paleo diet because on the paleo diet you're supposed to up your fat intake so you burn fat before muscle. and i'm not even going to be using much at a time. of course, i understand theres like a kajillion different ways to do paleo, i'm kinda picking and choosing for myself what to cut out and what to keep. i'm gonna stop with the yoghurt because i'm not a big fan of it anyway, but the other stuff- toast, rolls, oatmeal, cereal, ramen & other pastas- are being cut out for sure. today and tomorrow i'm letting myself have some carbs, and then sunday i'm starting the diet. but of course once a week i'll eat more carbs in a day just as a cheat day... unless i stop craving them, then i'll just have an extra bit of chocolate or something. )

Yeah, it's still not my thing. razz I eat it if it's given to me, but it's not something I enjoy.

Paleo has various forms. The diet they're imitating comes from our paleolithic ancestors, who's diet ranged from purely carnivorous, to vegetarian. You're always burning fat. You're always burning sugar. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're selling something, and are pretty much forced to take that stance, even if they, in time, decide otherwise.

Low carb "works" because you're eschewing high calorie, low nutrient foods for foods that have lower-calories, and more nutrition. You almost always end up in a caloric deficit, while not being hungry. Many paleo advocates get rid of carbohydrates because a lot of high-toxin foods are carb-heavy, but not all of them necessarily are.

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( you are such a helpful person, im even reading your responses to the other person and it's making me happy. so many people bash on me for one reason or another, i like that you're helpful without being overly critical.

yeah i definitely have an issue with carbs though, i crave them constantly and eat them constantly. the type of diet i would usually follow would be eggs with toast or on a bagel, granola bar, sandwich, random snack most likely milk chocolate or lollipops, hot dog or burger on bun or ramen, then cereal or oatmeal before bed. as you can see, it's basically carbs carbs carbs! which is why this is the first diet i've ever done. i've counted calories, i've cut down on sodas, but up until i discovered paleo i was not willing to try ANY diet, not south beach or weight watchers or anything. this is the only diet i've ever thought could actually do me some good. )

Don't take anything I say as fact, either. Everything with a grain of salt. If there was any without a doubt proof, there wouldn't be so many diet wars to begin with. Everyone has a bias, and everyone can cherry pick their own data. There's studies to suggest different things, after all. How many times have eggs alone been told to be good, or bad?

See, that's the thing though. There are a lot of bad carb choices, but not all carbs are bad. It's the body's preferred source of energy. Some sources of carbs are debatably toxic.

Personally, I think paleo is the best there is. However, because of it's community for the majority being apparently low-carb, everyone associates paleo with low-carb. Natural food that you can hunt, get from an animal, dig from the ground, or pick from a tree / bush. It's really that simple. Adding macronutrient breakdowns just makes it worse.

Squad

Sabyshii
x

Quote:
Depends on the bacon, really. Some turkey bacon comes with soy in it, and those are avoided on the paleo food guide.

Sorry, since I don't eat meat I don't really keep up with whatever junk they put in things labelled as meat. My bad!

Quote:
The calories you lose from the yolk from the white is hardly noticeable. The only reason one should avoid yolks is if they're allergic, and they wouldn't be eating eggs anyway.

I was basing this on her desire to lose weight, which as you know is all about a calorie deficit. It's a difference of about 50 calories; if you're counting calories and you're eating 100 calories a day in egg alone, you could really miss out on maximum weekly weightloss. That's from my own personal experience, so it's fair to say that her experience could be different.

Quote:
What for?

Mayo is just more egg and it's empty calories.

Quote:
Soy is forbidden on paleo. Heavy cream is a common thing to put into coffee. If she's eating under her BMR, she won't gain weight either way.

I guess I'm not 100% informed on paleo; I was under the impression that you could consume negligible amounts of soy. Apparently I'm wrong. Soy/almond > heavy cream goes back to my preference to be stingy on calories.

Quote:
Agreed. However, she apparently has a problem with ingesting large numbers of calories in a single meal, so she spreads it out.

Okay.

Quote:
Paleo is just natural food. Anyone claiming to have a particular macronutrient ratio is selling something. I think many of them would do better with an increased carb intake, really.

Most make up the low carb intake with a increased sugar intake. IMO I'd rather eat carbs than sugar (since carbs just "turn into" sugar anyway).

Wealthy Regular

12,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sabyshii
Morbid Obesity
Sabyshii
Morbid Obesity
Sabyshii

First Year, Hufflepuff

First Year, Hufflepuff

Don't take anything I say as fact, either. Everything with a grain of salt. If there was any without a doubt proof, there wouldn't be so many diet wars to begin with. Everyone has a bias, and everyone can cherry pick their own data. There's studies to suggest different things, after all. How many times have eggs alone been told to be good, or bad?

See, that's the thing though. There are a lot of bad carb choices, but not all carbs are bad. It's the body's preferred source of energy. Some sources of carbs are debatably toxic.

Personally, I think paleo is the best there is. However, because of it's community for the majority being apparently low-carb, everyone associates paleo with low-carb. Natural food that you can hunt, get from an animal, dig from the ground, or pick from a tree / bush. It's really that simple. Adding macronutrient breakdowns just makes it worse.

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( i'm not, i've shot down a suggestion or two you've made haven't i? xD i just feel i trust you a bit more because the way you explain things makes you sound very knowledgeable.

also my mayo DOES have soy product in it... but this is one thing i'm NOT going to change to be paleo because i do NOT like the taste of other mayos. i've actually NEVER liked mayo until i got the olive oil mayo. and i only use it to mix with my tuna anyway, it's not like i'm eating spoonfuls. i'm definitely avoiding soy other than that, though. i switched from soymilk to almond milk and i certainly am not eating tofu. i'm the type of person that believes "everything in moderation", which is also why i'm letting myself have one cheat day a week, and i think after long enough the carb cravings will eventually go away and i won't really even NEED that cheat day.

now, if only quitting smoking was as easy as changing your diet sweatdrop if i go a few hours without carbs, i'm fine. if i go a few hours without a cigarette, i want to find a smoker, rip their throat out, and steal their cigarettes rofl i keep trying to quit and i keep failing failing failing. )

Divine Zealot

Quote:
Sorry, since I don't eat meat I don't really keep up with whatever junk they put in things labelled as meat. My bad!

Not a problem.

Quote:
I was basing this on her desire to lose weight, which as you know is all about a calorie deficit. It's a difference of about 50 calories; if you're counting calories and you're eating 100 calories a day in egg alone, you could really miss out on maximum weekly weightloss. That's from my own personal experience, so it's fair to say that her experience could be different.

A diet where about 50 calories will put you over, has some other issues that needs to be addressed, and may not be the best.

Quote:
Mayo is just more egg and it's empty calories.

Homemade mayo would be far better nutritionally, taste leagues better, and doesn't have all the garbage conventional mayo has. It's like comparing plain old white bread to whole grain, naturally leavened bread made at home.

Quote:
I guess I'm not 100% informed on paleo; I was under the impression that you could consume negligible amounts of soy. Apparently I'm wrong. Soy/almond > heavy cream goes back to my preference to be stingy on calories.

Soy is considered poison on the paleo philosophy, along with grains and other legumes. If it's a vegetable oil, it's also considered bad. The only time grains or legumes are allowed is when they are naturally fermented. Anyone on the paleo who's eating something containing one of those is having a cheat meal. In regards to the heavy cream, though, it's actually not paleo either. Depends on which brand you go too, really. I personally prefer just to use sugar and drink it black. In the end, taste is subjective. It's all preference, but paleo has various guidelines. A diet that you can't enjoy isn't the one for you, after all. razz

Quote:
Most make up the low carb intake with a increased sugar intake. IMO I'd rather eat carbs than sugar (since carbs just "turn into" sugar anyway).

Yeah, that. But I use plain white sugar anyway. Empty calories, but used properly, isn't going to harm anyone.

Divine Zealot

Morbid Obesity

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( i'm not, i've shot down a suggestion or two you've made haven't i? xD i just feel i trust you a bit more because the way you explain things makes you sound very knowledgeable.

also my mayo DOES have soy product in it... but this is one thing i'm NOT going to change to be paleo because i do NOT like the taste of other mayos. i've actually NEVER liked mayo until i got the olive oil mayo. and i only use it to mix with my tuna anyway, it's not like i'm eating spoonfuls. i'm definitely avoiding soy other than that, though. i switched from soymilk to almond milk and i certainly am not eating tofu. i'm the type of person that believes "everything in moderation", which is also why i'm letting myself have one cheat day a week, and i think after long enough the carb cravings will eventually go away and i won't really even NEED that cheat day.

now, if only quitting smoking was as easy as changing your diet sweatdrop if i go a few hours without carbs, i'm fine. if i go a few hours without a cigarette, i want to find a smoker, rip their throat out, and steal their cigarettes rofl i keep trying to quit and i keep failing failing failing. )

I know, I'm just saying. I'm pretty sure someone with reasonable skill could make consuming arsenic look like a great idea. Just because someone sounds knowledgeable, doesn't mean they can't be talking out their a**.

Look into making your own mayonnaise. Alton Brown has an episode for it on his show, "Good Eats," which you should be able to find on Google.

I can't comment on the smoking thing. Everyone reacts to it differently.

Wealthy Regular

12,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sabyshii
Morbid Obesity

First Year, Hufflepuff

I know, I'm just saying. I'm pretty sure someone with reasonable skill could make consuming arsenic look like a great idea. Just because someone sounds knowledgeable, doesn't mean they can't be talking out their a**.

Look into making your own mayonnaise. Alton Brown has an episode for it on his show, "Good Eats," which you should be able to find on Google.

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( i'm pretty good about judging character and you just come off as trustworthy and knowledgeable. i've actually been considering sending you a friend request razz and i talk about more than just my dieting!

i'll have to look into making my own mayo, as long as i can keep the olive oil in it!

yeah being an addicted smoker sucks. i see those commercials on tv of people with amputations or throat stomas and i wanna cry, but even watching that only puts off my cig craving for like, 5 minutes u.u just like my eating disorder, it's a compulsion. but somehow i've been managing to control my disordered eating habits, if not thoughts, but i seriously can't stop smoking. i've tried everything but Chantix, and i DON'T wanna try that because of the "possible side effect" of suicidal thoughts or actions. )

Fashionable Phantom

Liliahna
FaceThatMeows
Liliahna
Morbid Obesity
'

if you enjoy bacon that much why not opt for the healthier almost bacon substitute of Turkey Bacon. much healthier not as salty, fatty, and very easy to cook. I actually like it more than bacon!
Also chocolate is good for you but in small amounts not every day like maybe a small piece of a bar every few days or so and ONLY the best dark chocolate is good for you. hershey's is known for low grade, low price, and full of fillers, go gherrideli, milka, or dove 3nodding

edit: oh and steamed veggies... yeah sure they are veggies but when they are steamed they loose a lot of their vitamins and good qualities. go for a spinach or arugala salad with a home made viniagarette (very easy to make all you need is dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil. learn how to make it on youtube)

source : im a chef in a 5 star restaurant

No. You obviously do not understand paleo at all if you're recommending turkey bacon.

Don't listen, M.O!! Except for the steamed veggie part, she has a point on that one.
However you'll be eating so much more nutrients on paleo it won't matter much anyway.

-.- sure go ahead don't listen to me and keep on eating tons and tons of the one meat that is the worst for you of all the different kinds out there
nutrition data on bacon

You just proved again how you know nothing about the paleo diet. Bacon is very healthy for you according to the charts you just showed me.

Unless you think that fat is bad for you. But then you'd just be wrong.

Also, even though bacon has a lot of sodium, if you actually eat right (again, research paleo) you're controlling how much salt you're eating in everything. Bacon is probably my only actual source of any real amount of sodium that I have in my diet.

Besides, if you're especially hardcore paleo, you're eating grass-fed, farm raised cuts of bacon, that probably has less salt than your typical store-bought crap.

Next you'll tell me that chicken is the healthiest meat. LOL.

Divine Zealot

Morbid Obesity
Sabyshii
Morbid Obesity

First Year, Hufflepuff

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( i'm pretty good about judging character and you just come off as trustworthy and knowledgeable. i've actually been considering sending you a friend request razz and i talk about more than just my dieting!

i'll have to look into making my own mayo, as long as i can keep the olive oil in it!

yeah being an addicted smoker sucks. i see those commercials on tv of people with amputations or throat stomas and i wanna cry, but even watching that only puts off my cig craving for like, 5 minutes u.u just like my eating disorder, it's a compulsion. but somehow i've been managing to control my disordered eating habits, if not thoughts, but i seriously can't stop smoking. i've tried everything but Chantix, and i DON'T wanna try that because of the "possible side effect" of suicidal thoughts or actions. )

Why thank you~

Try this recipe here.

Replace the habit of smoking with something else. I also find this site useful for habits. He used to smoke, so I suppose you could look through what he did.

Wealthy Regular

12,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sabyshii
Morbid Obesity
Sabyshii
Morbid Obesity

First Year, Hufflepuff

First Year, Hufflepuff

Why thank you~

Try this recipe here.

Replace the habit of smoking with something else. I also find this site useful for habits. He used to smoke, so I suppose you could look through what he did.

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( ooooh healthier condiments! and i thought i was gonna have to give up ketchup and bbq sauce biggrin )

Fashionable Phantom

holy crisis
Paleo is just natural food. Anyone claiming to have a particular macronutrient ratio is selling something. I think many of them would do better with an increased carb intake, really.

This statement about paleo is also false.
We have a significantly decreased sugar intake... in fact we consume more carbs than sugar.
The only sugar we really eat is in fruit... and I don't know if you realize, but fruit has both carbs and sugar... however we only eat a limited amount of fruit (2-3 a day). And as a very rare treat (I do once a week with a nice dessert) we can have raw unpasteurized honey or natural maple syrup.

Vegetables also have carbs and we eat tons of those...

Nuts also have carbs.

Cured or marinated meats also will have a small amount of carbs. Plain meat, like a steak, will not.

I probably have 150-200 grams of carbs a day. That's on the high side of a paleo diet. I don't think I could even measure the amount of "sugar" I'm eating... especially since most of is is natural and not similar by any means to table sugar.

Squad

FaceThatMeows
holy crisis

We have a significantly decreased sugar intake... in fact we consume more carbs than sugar.
The only sugar we really eat is in fruit... and I don't know if you realize, but fruit has both carbs and sugar... however we only eat a limited amount of fruit (2-3 a day). And as a very rare treat (I do once a week with a nice dessert) we can have raw unpasteurized honey or natural maple syrup.

Nuts also have carbs.

Cured or marinated meats also will have a small amount of carbs. Plain meat, like a steak, will not.

I probably have 150-200 grams of carbs a day. That's on the high side of a paleo diet. I don't think I could even measure the amount of "sugar" I'm eating... especially since most of is is natural and not similar by any means to table sugar.

Let's get
Sabyshii
x
in here, since s/he was also quoted.

I do realize. Anything (besides sugar itself) that is sugary is a carb (simplified...). Fruits have carbs, vegetables have carbs. But those carbs are so minute if you are eating low-sugar fruits and vegetables (and non-starchy vegetables). IMO sugar is sugar and carbs are carbs (and carbs are also sugar), whatever way you cut it. When people say "carbs" they are usually referring to breads, pasta, etc. (processed carbohydrates).

But I won't claim to know more about the paleo diet than you. We're opposites. I'm vegan, so that's where the majority of my diet specific knowledges lies.

Divine Zealot

Morbid Obesity

First Year, Hufflepuff

<( ooooh healthier condiments! and i thought i was gonna have to give up ketchup and bbq sauce biggrin )

There's stuff everywhere. razz Just gotta look. I found this earlier.

FaceThatMeows

Nuts also have carbs.

I can't tell if you were replying to me, or Holy Crisis.

Sugar is a carbohydrate, but not all carbohydrate is sugar. It all gets broken down into simpler forms.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with carbs, it's just that some sources of the stuff are terrible health wise to begin with. You eat on the high end of the dreaded carb curve. For many paleo enthusiasts, you're pretty much on a one way track to diabetes, cancer or who knows what else for your increased carb intake.

My point was at the carb dogma. I still use sugar like I use my butter. As a complimentary taste enhancement. Glad to see you're on the upper carb scale, though. :3

Fashionable Phantom

Sabyshii

Sugar is a carbohydrate, but not all carbohydrate is sugar. It all gets broken down into simpler forms.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with carbs, it's just that some sources of the stuff are terrible health wise to begin with. You eat on the high end of the dreaded carb curve. For many paleo enthusiasts, you're pretty much on a one way track to diabetes, cancer or who knows what else for your increased carb intake.

My point was at the carb dogma. I still use sugar like I use my butter. As a complimentary taste enhancement. Glad to see you're on the upper carb scale, though. :3

Oo, nice chart. I was replying to whatever text was quoted in my post... I'm not exactly sure who wrote it, lol.

I would certainly describe my lifestyle atm as within the "effortless weight maintenance" section of your chart.

maybe I'm consuming less carbs than I thought. But I certainly eat more like 3-5 fruit a day, and I have a small amount of chocolate almost every day, so I was pretty sure I was eating 150+ grams.

I also am trying to exercise more than I was before, so I find I'm burning through carbs fast enough that any excess isn't really hurting me.

Actually, Sabyshii I agree with most of the posts I've seen you make around the forum. You seem pretty informed.

The statement I said was false about paleo is "Most make up the low carb intake with a increased sugar intake". That's... so not true.

Divine Zealot

FaceThatMeows
Sabyshii

Oo, nice chart. I was replying to whatever text was quoted in my post... I'm not exactly sure who wrote it, lol.

I would certainly describe my lifestyle atm as within the "effortless weight maintenance" section of your chart.

maybe I'm consuming less carbs than I thought. But I certainly eat more like 3-5 fruit a day, and I have a small amount of chocolate almost every day, so I was pretty sure I was eating 150+ grams.

I also am trying to exercise more than I was before, so I find I'm burning through carbs fast enough that any excess isn't really hurting me.

Actually, Sabyshii I agree with most of the posts I've seen you make around the forum. You seem pretty informed.

The statement I said was false about paleo is "Most make up the low carb intake with a increased sugar intake". That's... so not true.

That chart is wrong, usually. razz And it was half my post, and half Holy Crisis. Hence my confusion. xD

There's nothing wrong with carb consumption. But most processed carbs come with a lot of other stuff, and it ends up getting a bad reputation. They're easy to overconsume because they're calorie dense. The paleo world has a big dogma with carbohydrate that's unfounded. The body is always burning off sugars (either stored, or is breaking the body down to get them). The liver supply alone would be around half gone while sleeping alone.

Healthy people are also somewhat active, so they burn off muscle stores too. It's really hard to overindulge in carbohydrate if someone is relatively active. Even if one were to eat so many carbs that they'd get turned into fat, in a caloric deficit, you'd still end up burning it off anyway. You don't get fat on a deficit, in which case it doesn't matter the macro-breakdown. Too much is still too much.

It was a misquote, where half was mine, and half was her's (I think Holy is a her. Sorry if you're not.). I added my name back into it.
holy crisis
Sabyshii

Edit: Also, thanks for the compliment. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces