Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Phantom

So I want to slim back down as I've gained ~20 lbs in the last year, but I'm having a hard time. I do really well for a few days but then I gain it back, esp. on the weekends and esp. because I hang out with my boyfriend and he tends to eat like crap (lots of fast food and booze.)

How do I stay motivated?
What are healthier options at fast food places?

Also, he's really slim and opposed to a lot of veggies and healthier options :/ if we cook it's usually stuff like pasta...I've brought my own food over once, but it's hard. I'm also trying to encourage us to be more active, hiking/walking/biking/etc...

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
There's no two ways about it. If you want to lose weight you have to do the work.

x-iFurryBeast-x's Princess

Kawaii Kitten

13,175 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Married 100
  • Signature Look 250
It is really hard to keep motivated. I have this same problem as well.
I find if I write notes on my computer with the little sticky note option, or things I read often helps.
I also write down a to do list and have it near me so I at least read it when I wake up.

Menus do have some healthy stuff on it, just look for less fat, and more veggies.
Chicken is moderately healthy depending on how it's cooked.
pallbearer
So I want to slim back down as I've gained ~20 lbs in the last year, but I'm having a hard time. I do really well for a few days but then I gain it back, esp. on the weekends and esp. because I hang out with my boyfriend and he tends to eat like crap (lots of fast food and booze.)

How do I stay motivated?
What are healthier options at fast food places?

Also, he's really slim and opposed to a lot of veggies and healthier options :/ if we cook it's usually stuff like pasta...I've brought my own food over once, but it's hard. I'm also trying to encourage us to be more active, hiking/walking/biking/etc...

If he's your boyfriend and all it shouldn't be to hard to ask him and support you in this.
So he won't his unhealthy crap around you and is willing to eat healthier things when you're around, do some activities etc.

Melodious Sweetheart

25,625 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
My sister had a similar relationship with her husband. He didn't have to worry about his weight so much, so he was able to eat anything and not have to worry about gaining. This made it difficult for her to keep a healthy diet. Seeing junk foods, etc. around would make having self-control a looooot harder. Keeping ourselves from eating impulsively or unhealthily when we are trying not to requires self-regulation. The strength of self-regulation is built up like a muscle. That is why if you deny yourself something unhealthy to eat early in the day, it becomes much harder to deny something again later on. The more it is practiced, the easier it becomes to deny yourself things. There are ways to enhance your self-regulation and a lot of it has to do with a support system. This is where having a boyfriend who also eats healthy would be helpful. However, my sister actually found a group of ladies who worked out together every morning and this became her support group. Having that led to a huge change in her diet and exercise life. She became much healthier and happier.

One last thing that may be helpful to you is just to remember that it is okay if slip-ups happen in your diet or exercise. Don't give up or beat yourself up for it! Wake up the next day and try again. biggrin

I hope this helped some and good luck!! emotion_hug

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces