Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Millionaire

The fact is, one of the biggest issues for college students is eating healthy while still making your food plan cheap and affordable. Tens of thousands - even hundreds of thousands, is going to your tuition so you're constantly in fear of not being able to pay it off while affording to eat at the same time. Here are some tips from my mentor, Dani Johnson, to make your life heck of a lot easier:

One place people waste a lot of money is the grocery store. And you probably don’t even know it! Look, over the past several years I have seen and heard it all. It always shocks me when people tell me how much they spend at the grocery store and act like it is normal. “Oh I only spend like two hundred dollars a week.”

Uh, HELLO, my family of six (plus dinner guests) survives just fine on one hundred a week at the grocery store. Wouldn’t you love to find where that other hundred dollars (or more) goes and have an extra four hundred or more in your pocket every month?

The reality is, if you throw stale food, leftovers or moldy fruit into the trash, you are throwing away your hard-earned money. Let me repeat that so you really get it, pitching your food in the trash literally equals cash in the trash!

Want to know THE number one best way to save money at the grocery store? Meal planning! Taking a little bit of extra time to map out your food for the week will always save you from throwing out extra.

But today I want to share a few tips to help you out while actually in the store, list in hand. This is where the real damage occurs.

- Let’s start with produce! Don’t buy any of the prepackaged, pre-sliced, pre-cut fruits or veggies. They cost more money and usually pumped full of disgusting hormones and preservatives.

- Don’t buy cheese that is already grated. They may appear to be the same price but check the weight! More often than not you get twice as much cheese in a block than you do in a bag or a package of sliced cheese. And guess what, grated cheese has additives!

- Make your own salad dressing. You can buy a package of seasoning for mere cents, add it to vinegar and olive oil to make your own, fresh, salad dressing. It’s healthier for you and way cheaper.

- Don’t throw out old bread. Use stale bread to make your own croutons! In general, always try to re-purpose old food or leftovers with a bit of imagination instead of just throwing it away. Google a quick recipe or instructions for free and easy ideas.

- Buy the whole chicken. Instead of purchasing single breasts, cook the whole chicken. Plan multiple meals with the meat and save the broth for another meal!
When you do purchase breasts or fillets, learn actual serving sizes. This tip will help your bank account and your waist line. A normal portion size of meat or chicken is about 3 ounces! In most cases, people count one fillet per person, which is almost TWICE the recommended size.

- Avoid sales and buying in bulk. Sales and bulk items encourage you to overbuy… temptation most of us fall hard for every time. You go to buy a week’s worth of food and come home with a month’s supply of ice cream, potato chips and soda.
Recognize we often pay more for convenience and that money quickly adds up! Not to mention those extra additives that come with pre-packaged-over-processed-junk make you fat, sick and broke.

Please let me know if you have any questions. heart

Interesting Otaku

11,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Hi kar umm can i propose to you heart heart heart

Wealthy Millionaire

toughcarlos
Hi kar umm can i propose to you heart heart heart

Haha, yes please. 4laugh heart

Magnetic Friend