Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

AlucardLuxiere
Lets take Bruce Lee. he was a master of wing chun (someone correct me if i am wrong)
Bruce Lee was trained in several styles when he came to America besides Wang Chun, including Tai Chi Chug, western boxing, judo, a few forms of kung fu and a few others.

Before forming his own style, he taught his modification of Wing Chun.

Seeker

6,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Slutty_Eddie
AlucardLuxiere
Lets take Bruce Lee. he was a master of wing chun (someone correct me if i am wrong)
Bruce Lee was trained in several styles when he came to America besides Wang Chun, including Tai Chi Chug, western boxing, judo, a few forms of kung fu and a few others.

Before forming his own style, he taught his modification of Wing Chun.
You're right about him studying various styles, but Bruce Lee never actually became a master of any one particular style. He trained his entire life, researching and finding interest in different styles. Originally he only spent about 5-7 months training with Ip Man in Wing Chun. Since he was new to America, and oriental martial arts were almost never taught to Americans, he was able to begin teaching without the technical accreditation of a master. Though you are correct that when he first began, he was teaching his interpretation of wing chun. Soon after however, is when he began to formulate his theory about the adaptable system of Jeet Kune Do.
Thank ya
Quote:
slutty_eddie

Either way my point is. Bruce Lee had Idea's of course but it took him a long time of hard training in a multitude of styles to really have the ideas if JKD cemented. plus he was ruthless with his training program. Martial arts were his life. (I have the tao of JKD its just been awhile since i read it.)

So coming back around to the point. If you have ideas that's fine. just don't start teaching until you, yourself have proven them. the main point of martial arts is self defense. so find what works in a real life situation. heck, maybe put your style into an MMA fight. (I advice that over actually picking a fight. where as they can be different technique was. Lets face it. your not gonna kill someone or use lethal techniques. since the main point of martial arts is purely to defend and not kill, unless you are over in a combat zone in the army.)

i mean that's just my .02. i have seen a lot of "grandmasters" blasted on bullshido and MAP, a lot of the times, though as long as you don't claim any obscene lineage and are ready to prove the usefulness of your art (if you are teaching.) then you won't be lumped into the questionable, fraud martial arts group which is honestly pretty huge.

Again i am not saying don't attempt your own style and ideas. just if you plan to teach, make sure it is proven to be useful and don't make any huge claims. Be honest with the world that you made it up. (They will ask, "why" since there is usually a martial art out there for most everyone and a lot of people in the past made an martial art just for ego, not for need.)

Seeker

6,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conversationalist 100
AlucardLuxiere
Thank ya
Quote:
slutty_eddie

Either way my point is. Bruce Lee had Idea's of course but it took him a long time of hard training in a multitude of styles to really have the ideas if JKD cemented. plus he was ruthless with his training program. Martial arts were his life. (I have the tao of JKD its just been awhile since i read it.)

So coming back around to the point. If you have ideas that's fine. just don't start teaching until you, yourself have proven them. the main point of martial arts is self defense. so find what works in a real life situation. heck, maybe put your style into an MMA fight. (I advice that over actually picking a fight. where as they can be different technique was. Lets face it. your not gonna kill someone or use lethal techniques. since the main point of martial arts is purely to defend and not kill, unless you are over in a combat zone in the army.)

i mean that's just my .02. i have seen a lot of "grandmasters" blasted on bullshido and MAP, a lot of the times, though as long as you don't claim any obscene lineage and are ready to prove the usefulness of your art (if you are teaching.) then you won't be lumped into the questionable, fraud martial arts group which is honestly pretty huge.

Again i am not saying don't attempt your own style and ideas. just if you plan to teach, make sure it is proven to be useful and don't make any huge claims. Be honest with the world that you made it up. (They will ask, "why" since there is usually a martial art out there for most everyone and a lot of people in the past made an martial art just for ego, not for need.)
Oh, I completely agree. When I said I was developing my own style or system, I wasn't implying that I'm trying to go out into the public tomorrow and start proclaiming myself as a grandmaster. I'm no where near that point. Even though I do train every single day, that doesn't give me the right to claim myself a master. I may be better than some, but there are also a lot who are better than me. And just for sake...Martial arts in it's primal forms was designed to kill. It was the art of unarmed war fare. Where I do agree that it should only be used in self defense, the techniques I train in, I train with the mind set of maiming or fully incapacitating my opponent. Soo, MMA, as much as I would love to get into it, would be too restricting to my personal expression with my art.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff