Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Capitalist

Hello Gaians!

I am going to be graduating from college tomorrow, and moving back in with my parents for a few months before heading to New York sometime in September.

In the meantime, I'll be working as a waitress, saving money so I can move without too much trouble.

I've decided that I want to go vegetarian for the summer, just to try it out. My parents aren't particularly healthy eaters, and I've always been sick of the amount of meat we eat and the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables we have around. However, I don't really know how to go about being a vegetarian, because I'm a picky eater, and I don't want to be!

If any of you have websites to point me to that will help me out with recipes or the lifestyle in general, I'd love your help! I'm doing this for a health choice, not a moral choice, so I'd prefer it if I didn't get any websites about the meat industry, or articles like that. Just healthy living and eating would be great!

Thank you!
~Chibi yum_strawberry

Divine Zealot

chibichick27
Hello Gaians!

I am going to be graduating from college tomorrow, and moving back in with my parents for a few months before heading to New York sometime in September.

In the meantime, I'll be working as a waitress, saving money so I can move without too much trouble.

I've decided that I want to go vegetarian for the summer, just to try it out. My parents aren't particularly healthy eaters, and I've always been sick of the amount of meat we eat and the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables we have around. However, I don't really know how to go about being a vegetarian, because I'm a picky eater, and I don't want to be!

If any of you have websites to point me to that will help me out with recipes or the lifestyle in general, I'd love your help! I'm doing this for a health choice, not a moral choice, so I'd prefer it if I didn't get any websites about the meat industry, or articles like that. Just healthy living and eating would be great!

Thank you!
~Chibi yum_strawberry

Well, let's see now!

Well, if you don't have any moral complaints about eating meat, consider eggs and dairy, as these can be allowed in a vegetarian diet (lacto-ovo). Even a healthy omnivore should, by volume, consider eating more plants and fruit anyway.

I really suggest that anyone looking into adding more plant matter should consider growing some of their own food. Just be sure to check with your local government to see if that's even allowed in your area.

If you're looking for the healthiest options, stick to local food, if at all possible. If this isn't an option, then you should be just fine with grocery produce, but become adept at picking out what is the best. Ensure that you can individually choose things and bag them. Especially with fruits and veggies, they can be rotten / slimy / wilting while in the store. Make sure to soak and thoroughly wash / rinse your food before preparing it to limit pesticide / wax. Peeling is also an option, if you're into that. But definitely make sure to soak leafy vegetables, and things like broccoli.

While it may be something that not everyone agrees on, I personally try to limit my intake of most vegetable oils. Try butter over margarine, if possible.

If you like to cook, you may also look into traditional methods of preparing foods such as grains and beans.

Really make sure you watch your nutrient intake. Many newcomers end up getting in over their heads by not paying attention, and end up malnourished, especially in protein, iron, calcium and b12. If you go the lacto-ovo route, you may be much better off.

All stuff to keep in mind. G'luck with your trial.

Congratulations on graduating college, by the way!

Tipsy Capitalist

Sabyshii
chibichick27
Hello Gaians!

Thank you!
~Chibi yum_strawberry

Well, let's see now!

Well, if you don't have any moral complaints about eating meat, consider eggs and dairy, as these can be allowed in a vegetarian diet (lacto-ovo). Even a healthy omnivore should, by volume, consider eating more plants and fruit anyway.

I really suggest that anyone looking into adding more plant matter should consider growing some of their own food. Just be sure to check with your local government to see if that's even allowed in your area.

If you're looking for the healthiest options, stick to local food, if at all possible. If this isn't an option, then you should be just fine with grocery produce, but become adept at picking out what is the best. Ensure that you can individually choose things and bag them. Especially with fruits and veggies, they can be rotten / slimy / wilting while in the store. Make sure to soak and thoroughly wash / rinse your food before preparing it to limit pesticide / wax. Peeling is also an option, if you're into that. But definitely make sure to soak leafy vegetables, and things like broccoli.

While it may be something that not everyone agrees on, I personally try to limit my intake of most vegetable oils. Try butter over margarine, if possible.

If you like to cook, you may also look into traditional methods of preparing foods such as grains and beans.

Really make sure you watch your nutrient intake. Many newcomers end up getting in over their heads by not paying attention, and end up malnourished, especially in protein, iron, calcium and b12. If you go the lacto-ovo route, you may be much better off.

All stuff to keep in mind. G'luck with your trial.

Congratulations on graduating college, by the way!

Thanks for your advice! We actually have a farmer's market not to far from my house, so I'll definitely be checking that out. I appreciate what you had to say about supermarket vegetables, too, because some places certainly carry better produce than others. I'll definitely have to watch so that I don't become malnourished and lose protein, or something.

Divine Zealot

chibichick27
Thanks for your advice! We actually have a farmer's market not to far from my house, so I'll definitely be checking that out. I appreciate what you had to say about supermarket vegetables, too, because some places certainly carry better produce than others. I'll definitely have to watch so that I don't become malnourished and lose protein, or something.

Make sure to ask them plenty of questions when you go there, including their practices when handling things. If possible, you might even be able to watch them tend to their stuff.

Who knows how many times my family has bought some fruit, or something, and they're either heavily damaged, or half rotten. From our most recent venture, we had to toss out half the apples.

As for protein, depending on your activity level, you only need about .4-1 gram of protein for every lb of muscle is the RDA, iirc. Milk and eggs help you get those needs well enough. Just do a bit of reading about this sorta thing. Definitely make sure to include complete proteins combinations if you don't want to do the eggs and dairy thing.

Here's hoping you don't trip during the graduation ceremony. razz

Blessed Prophet

You've clearly never read the ingredients in veggie meat before.

Tipsy Capitalist

bear eating a salmon

I actually am not planning on buying veggie meat--I'm not looking to eat that sort of crap. I actually bought Indian Masala Burgers made out of just veggies, and it was delicious.
Vegetarian recipe website that my friends, specifically girls, often go to :
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/vegetarian+recipes
I myself being a Veg-Head (as i am affectionately called by my friends) have found that the biggest resource is the internet and learning how to cook. Literally just go to Google and type in "vegetarian recipes" then if you have any particular ingredients that you want to use put them in after. At first it may be a little difficult finding stuff to snack on, especially if your parents do eat this way, but after a while you start to buy little things that help.

My favorite recipe right now is for Lettuce Wraps:

1 big lettuce leaf
10 black olives
7 edemane pods
1 or 2 boiled eggs
2 big pinches of crab meat ( i prefer imitation but it depends where you are)
1 tablespoon of poppy seed salad dressing (add more or less depending on your taste preferences)

Put everything into the lettuce leaf roll it over itself and enjoy!!!
bear eating a salmon

I'm a vegetarian, but not for health purposes- what exactly is bad about veggie meat? I just know processed food isn't really good for you, but otherwise, I didn't think it was that bad...
i want to be a vegitarian ... BUT I LOVE STEAK

Blessed Prophet

Black Rose-chan
bear eating a salmon

I'm a vegetarian, but not for health purposes- what exactly is bad about veggie meat? I just know processed food isn't really good for you, but otherwise, I didn't think it was that bad...

It's disgusting. It's like water, soy bean extract, soy bean protein, wheat flour, tapioca flour, rice flour, tapioca starch, corn starch, potato flour, potato starch, wheat starch, then a bunch of chemicals whose names are so weird I would never be able to remember them all.
I might as well eat some pasta, and potatoes and pour soy protein over it.

Witty Genius

9,600 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Contributor 150
I've been vegetarian for almost 6 years now.

I'm not gonna read all that info but I'll say...

if you want to, do it. If not, don't. It's as simple as that.
alright, lets stop and think for a second.

lets not call what you are trying to do 'vegetarian' because that implies many things. lets just say you are a girl, who is looking for a healthier lifestyle than what your parents have provided you. going completely vegetarian would make you have to go out of your way to find things you want and need, and change meal plans yadda yadda yadda, so lets not even use the v word.

instead, lets break things down.
you say you get sick from eating too much meat, which is a valid point. humans were not ment to be carnivores, but you can swap a piece of meat for eggs or milk or cheese in your meals. these are often considered much healthier options. also, you may be getting sick from the hormones, antibiotics, and bacteria found in traditional meats. why dont you try shopping for grass fed meat? they shouldn't use antibiotics. ask a local farmer, Google one near you, there are websites dedicated to helping you out.

your fruit and veggie intake is very important, so make sure you just choose a rainbow of all of them. lots and lots of them! try to eat anything in season as it will be healthier and have more nutrients (strawberries and peaches in spring, cucumber and corn in summer, apples and nuts in fall and turnips, onions and potatoes in winter) etc etc. you will be so much healthier. again contact your local farmer to see what he has on the menu.

REMEMBER NEVER BUY PROCESSED OR PREPACKAGED FOOD. these are all bad for you, and can cause major health concerns. stick to whole foods and whatnot and you will be good!

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
chibichick27
Hello Gaians!

I've decided that I want to go vegetarian for the summer, just to try it out

Just healthy living and eating would be great!

Thank you!
~Chibi yum_strawberry

Hello Chibi, congratulations on your graduation from college! And saving money is always nice and happy. Good luck!

One important tip for easy cheap food - ripe Banana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1A125ZQPgQ
(nope this is not me)

How I wish I knew this easy tip when I became vegan almost 7 years ago, I would have saved so much money from buying right food for my optimal health like I have been gaining in these past 2 months.
I've been vegetarian, vegan, meat-eater throughout various points in my life so far.
And am currently happily settling with pescatarian for the past year or so.
Try, before automatically cutting out everything, switching to leaner meats and decreasing before going cold turkey. I got really sick and anemic that way.
But ifnyounwant to, go for it!

Also, try finding spiraling tablets, they're the best protein supplements. Every vegan documentary I've watched advocates for it !

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff