Welcome to Gaia! ::

I tried to ice skate the first time like for 2 hours and 30 minutes . I was just standing on ice, tried to walk on ice and skate... My friends tried to help me by holding my hands, but most of the time I was holding the side bars and tried to skate.

I only feel pain when I touch my ankles, particularly on a ''bone'' ( I'm not sure how to call it, anyways somewhere on my ankles). It has been 5 days, it still hurt when I touch my ankles.

My friend said it's because of the skates I was wearing, like when I try on new shoes...

sad I find it weird that it last so long (the pain).

Do you think I should not ice skate this week to prevent the pain ?

Do you have any tips for learning to ice skate ?

I can walk and run.

Update
My pain was gone after 2 weeks ahaha... So, I went to ice skate yesterday. I still don't understand how to ice skate.

My friend explained : one foot A is ''holding'' your weight , slide the other foot B and then push a little with foot A and move it to the front (with a gap so you're moving foward). Then reverse (foot B is now A and vice versa).

My friend learned to ice skate by their own when they were kids !!

I fell a couple times (4 times) . Now, it's my butt and hip that hurts !
Were your skates feel really tight or kind of loose when you were skating?

I think you should take it easy and rest your ankles until they've healed. Did you feel it crack/twist during skating?

If the pain's been going on for this long, I'd recommend going to the doctors and having it checked out. Let them know what happened.
Zychro Pierce

I think you should take it easy and rest your ankles until they've healed. Did you feel it crack/twist during skating?

If the pain's been going on for this long, I'd recommend going to the doctors and having it checked out. Let them know what happened.
The skates were the right size. I didn't twist my ankles, it didn't crack either. My ankles looks normal. It only hurts when I touch them.
XxAriaxX
Zychro Pierce

The skates were the right size. I didn't twist my ankles, it didn't crack either. My ankles looks normal. It only hurts when I touch them.

Perhaps it's just sore from the skates [not being used to it], if it's your first time of first couple of times.
I know that my ankles were sore after I first skated. They were properly fitted too but my ankles were just not used to the skates and actually skating in them. So it could very well be normal.
However, I still stand on going to the doctors to have it checked out if it persists. Maybe put some ice on it for awhile and let it rest for the time being.
XxAriaxX
I tried to ice skate the first time like for 2 hours and 30 minutes . I was just standing on ice, tried to walk on ice and skate... My friends tried to help me by holding my hands, but most of the time I was holding the side bars and tried to skate.

I only feel pain when I touch my ankles, particularly on a ''bone'' ( I'm not sure how to call it, anyways somewhere on my ankles). It has been 5 days, it still hurt when I touch my ankles.

My friend said it's because of the skates I was wearing, like when I try on new shoes...

sad I find it weird that it last so long (the pain).

Do you think I should not ice skate this week to prevent the pain ?

Do you have any tips for learning to ice skate ?

I can walk and run.

You should have your skates tied (or strapped) as tight as possible, to give your feet and ankles as much support as possible - that is very important. Some people (myself included) find it more comfortable to skate with two pairs of socks on (a thicker pair on the outside, with a thinner pair directly covering my feet).

A very important tip is to keep your knees bent (and your butt out). That lowers your centre of gravity, making you much more stable - so if you feel as if you're going to fall over, bend those knees and stick your butt out even more! Furthermore if you find yourself losing your balance, make sure you don't send your arms backwards, or else that will counterbalance your body weight and your skates will fly out in front of you, as you fall backwards, with the potential of hitting the back of your head on the ice. And keep your head up! Don't keep looking down at your feet (your body knows what it's doing) because not only will you not know where you're going but your head's heavy (not to make fun of you!) and it will counterbalance your body. Also, to stop; look up the "snow plough stop" on youtube.

As long as you didn't fall over suddenly; subjecting your ankle(s) to a forced inversion/eversion that could fracture your fibula/tibia respectively, I wouldn't have any worries - it's most likely you overstretched a ligament or damaged some soft tissue (in this case, you'll get a bruise) than broke something; you shouldn't need to present to a doctor. However if you do have unbearable pain when walking or you do have serious concerns, do make sure you go to your nearest hospital ED (A&E) - it is important that broken bones and other serious injuries are addressed as soon as possible or you could risk permanently damaging that limb, compromising your quality of life.

But in this case, it just sounds to me like you simply need to get used to ice skating, it does put quite a strain on your ankles that you wouldn't have whilst walking and naturally your feet and ankles will ache for a while afterwards, particularly when you're new to it and after long sessions like the one you just had. So for now just try (even if it's a little painful) to stretch your ankles; roll your feet inwards/ outwards (inversion/ eversion), circumduct, dorsiflex and plantarflex at your ankle joint - look up these terms on google images to get an idea of what I'm suggesting. For the pain, take some ibuprofen (or paracetamol/ acetaminophen).

NOTE: With all medication taken - BE SURE TO CHECK WHETHER:

1. You are allergic to it (in the case of using ibuprofen gel - if you develop a rash where you have applied it, stop its application immediately).
2. It will interfere with anything you may already be taking.
3. You have already been told by a doctor to avoid the drug - eg. in the case of ibuprofen; if you suffer from a severe liver disease, severe heart failure, a history of peptic ulcers and hypersensitivity to other NSAIDs (eg. aspirin).
4. It is unsuitable in the case you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

And stick to the recommended dose - please refer to the drug information leaflet for that and any other information required. Don't take any more than what is recommended and make sure your parents know, if that's applicable to you.

But if there is swelling, you should rest your limb as much as possible, put ice packs on it (or a bag of frozen food) and keep it elevated (lay down on a couch and put your leg(s) up, above the level of your heart). If it is swollen significantly or the swelling or pain isn't resolved with painkillers, you should go to the ED.

It is hard for me to tell you what to do because I cannot assess your injury but if you broke or tore something or caused any serious damage that required urgent medical attention, you wouldn't be able to run or walk, let alone weight-bear on it at all. With that in mind though, I do urge you that if you do have major concerns do go and see a doctor.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or concerns regarding your injury or skating technique, don't hesitate to ask on here or PM me! smile
MegaTurkey
Thank you so much for your long informative post smile !!
xd I understand now why I had difficulty on ice I didn't bend my knee and stick out my butt lol !
I think I won't go ice skating this week, I'll wait that my ligaments recover...

I wish I discovered ice skating much more earlier ! It's so much fun razz (even if I don't know to skate yet)!
XxAriaxX
MegaTurkey
xd I understand now why I had difficulty on ice I didn't bend my knee and stick out my butt lol !
I think I won't go ice skating this week, I'll wait that my ligaments recover...

I wish I discovered ice skating much more earlier ! It's so much fun razz (even if I don't know to skate yet)!

You're welcome. smile

Just a heads up: I have an atrocious habit of repeatedly tweaking my posts as my thoughts come, I'm not sure when you read this but I'm done now haha.

Keep at it! Ice skating takes time (just as all skills do!) stick at it and with a bit of practice you'll be the best person on the ice! Don't be disheartened if you have trouble with it but looking at your post I think you've found something you enjoy doing!
I have these ice skates http://www.skates.com/Lake-Placid-Elite-Molded-Figure-p/lp-687.htm
I think they are better for beginners because they give more support to the ankles.
One suggest to keep balance is to put your arms out straight like your are pretending to fly.
Madame de Sousa
I have these ice skates http://www.skates.com/Lake-Placid-Elite-Molded-Figure-p/lp-687.htm
I think they are better for beginners because they give more support to the ankles.
One suggest to keep balance is to put your arms out straight like your are pretending to fly.

Ahh thanks !! I can't find those skate over here... and I don't really want to buy from a website.
sweatdrop
MegaTurkey
XxAriaxX
MegaTurkey

You're welcome. smile

Just a heads up: I have an atrocious habit of repeatedly tweaking my posts as my thoughts come, I'm not sure when you read this but I'm done now haha.

Keep at it! Ice skating takes time (just as all skills do!) stick at it and with a bit of practice you'll be the best person on the ice! Don't be disheartened if you have trouble with it but looking at your post I think you've found something you enjoy doing!
My pain was gone after 2 weeks ahaha... So, I went to ice skate yesterday. I still don't understand how to ice skate.

My friend explained : one foot A is ''holding'' your weight , slide the other foot B and then push a little with foot A and move it to the front (with a gap so you're moving foward). Then reverse (foot B is now A and vice versa).

XxAriaxX
MegaTurkey
XxAriaxX
MegaTurkey

You're welcome. smile

I learned how to ice skate as a kid on a lake.
My mum is really good and taught me.
Last week it was freezing and this week it is raining and all the snow and ice melted. sad

Last time I went skating, a little kid was speed skating and knocked me over. My tailbone hurt for 2 weeks.

Tipsy Regular

First of all; Ice skating is really difficult so trying to learn how to do it is a very brave thing to do! and it is FUN!

However, honey, you should not be skating for more than half an hour/an hour, your first couple of times. It's not strange or unnatural for you to be in pain after being on the ice and in skates for so long (and you do NOT need to see a doctor). It may look easy and pretty but ice skating puts your body through a lot!

Yes, it is like trying on new shoes. It takes three maybe four weeks to get used to new skates, especially if the blade has been sharpened recently (which is the case for all new skates).

Take it easy, take brakes (preferably with hot chocolate and a snack) and do some light stretching before you go on the ice. Make sure your muscles are warm while on the ice (until you can actually skate, you'll just have to jump around and wave your arms) and that if your feet hurt (they will) afterwards, you massage them.

Some people find it easier to first learn how to skate backwards (this is the case with most of my 3-5 year old students), you sort of just move your backside from side to side (like you're dancing; with you knees bent and your butt out, and keep your arms out from your sides to keep yourself balanced) and have a friend push you a little and then try to keep going by yourself.

Oh, I wish I could be there to help you. Skating is such a wonderful thing!

Good luck! and the more you fall the closer you are to actually learning how to do it right.

I'm a figure skater myself, have been for about sixteen years now. I practice about six times a week and hold classes for all the tiny, cute (and whiny) kids twice a week. My point is that my advice is legitimate.

Have fun!

Edit: lol I realized my avi is actually wearing skates ...
Thelisis
First of all; Ice skating is really difficult so trying to learn how to do it is a very brave thing to do! and it is FUN!

However, honey, you should not be skating for more than half an hour/an hour, your first couple of times. It's not strange or unnatural for you to be in pain after being on the ice and in skates for so long (and you do NOT need to see a doctor). It may look easy and pretty but ice skating puts your body through a lot!

Yes, it is like trying on new shoes. It takes three maybe four weeks to get used to new skates, especially if the blade has been sharpened recently (which is the case for all new skates).

Take it easy, take brakes (preferably with hot chocolate and a snack) and do some light stretching before you go on the ice. Make sure your muscles are warm while on the ice (until you can actually skate, you'll just have to jump around and wave your arms) and that if your feet hurt (they will) afterwards, you massage them.

Some people find it easier to first learn how to skate backwards (this is the case with most of my 3-5 year old students), you sort of just move your backside from side to side (like you're dancing; with you knees bent and your butt out, and keep your arms out from your sides to keep yourself balanced) and have a friend push you a little and then try to keep going by yourself.

Oh, I wish I could be there to help you. Skating is such a wonderful thing!

Good luck! and the more you fall the closer you are to actually learning how to do it right.

I'm a figure skater myself, have been for about sixteen years now. I practice about six times a week and hold classes for all the tiny, cute (and whiny) kids twice a week. My point is that my advice is legitimate.

Have fun!

Edit: lol I realized my avi is actually wearing skates ...
Waah ! Figure skating must be really fun ! When I was ice skating there was a little girl practicing figure skating with her mom, they were so good !

Anxious Tipper

7,625 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Window Shopper 100
I learned to Ice skate because I grew up roller blading
XxAriaxX

Good good; as I (and some others) said, it's just aches you get from skating - you'll be putting a strain on the muscles, ligaments and tendons that aren't usually stressed whilst normally walking.

As for basic technique; have a look at others and do as they do but as I said before - it's the bending of the knees that's crucial - what most people don't realise and therefore why they have a hard time skating to begin with. To put it bluntly, if your friend blends in with others when they're skating; they're stable, confident and look like they're ice skating well, just go with their technique for now. It's when you want to develop yourself beyond recreational skating to figure skating or ice hockey that you'll start assessing your form and your stride to get as much power, stability and efficiency from it as possible.

And don't worry too much about falling; as long as you're falling on your butt all the time (that's the only safe way to do so!) Everyone falls now and again no matter how good they are but the better you get at skating, the less you'll fall until it becomes a very rare occurrence. I know it hurts and it's a pain but you'll be falling a hell of a lot more if you stick with skating; you'll get used to it. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff