Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Sex Symbol

9,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
ok, today i cheated. i want to eat healthier, but because i didn't have much to eat in the house, i worked out before eating, causing me to get a cravings for something rich in fat to replace the energy i had used. baaad idea. i ate about a small fry and a .... jr bacon cheeseburger from wendy's. DAMMIT

either way, i got a bunch of fruit today that was on sale for really good prices (kiwi were 33 cents each, grapefruit and large california oranges were 2/$1). so instead of eating my typical ramen or rice made with chicken broth, i'm going to go easy tonight and have some healthy fruits.

here's a question though-
what do you guys think of rice made with chicken broth?

i do it because it makes the taste less bland than white rice, and i'm less likely to add salt and so much butter (ok not butter, but a substitute because i'm poor). i also usually add something to spice it up more with fajita sauce or peanut sauce.

i'm a big flavor person, so i like fruits more than veggies, i use hot sauce more than the average person. and i think i usually have more condiments in my fridge than actual food...
I avoid rice most of the time because it's very high calorie, not to mention all carbs. Even though I don't do low carb, I do stick to a reasonable balance of the macros with a focus on protein, so I need to eat high protein food every meal, more or less. But if you DO eat rice, then I don't see anything wrong with rice made with chicken broth.

And nothing wrong with working out before eating. It's better than the other way around (gives you stitches/ cramps!). Just make sure you have something healthy to eat afterwards. Have it all planned out and ready, so you won't be tempted by unhealthy choices.

A small fry and Jr. Bacon burger are actually not THAT terrible -- not enough protein, but in terms of calories, it's a reasonably sized meal.

Flavor is good smile Just be careful with sodium, and watch your portions because some of the fattier condiments can add a lot of calories.

Kawaii Girl

10,550 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
I've heard ceyenne pepper helps you burn calories or increase your metabolism. Since you metioned you like hot sauce.

Distinct Browser

first off, do you take any medications?
grapefruit is known to increase the effects of certain medications,
so if you do I would stay away from in just in case.

rice made with chicken broth is going to be very high in sodium.
so the question is, are you really saving yourself from putting salt in there when you're adding 1/2 of your daily requirement of it through the chicken broth?

also, interesting that you crave fats since your body does not naturally use those as energy first.
I definitely recommend eating after a workout or an hour+before, but after works better for some.
the best recommended post-workout snack is actually chocolate milk (according to Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition).
I usually eat something with protein and carbs in it after to replenish what I've used up and rebuild muscle.

you might be able to squeeze in more veggies underneath sauce to get in some fiber.
fiber and fat make you fuller and less likely to want to eat, so I'd go with that.
while we're talking about fiber, have you tried brown rice?
it does have a bit of a flavor but if you are covering it with sauce anyway it shouldn't matter.

kiwis are pretty yummy though =]

Devoted Reveler

14,400 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
  • Mark Twain 100
User Image
My shadow cast before me,
I walk inside your circle.

That REALLY is a good deal for Kiwi/ Grapefruit o___o

Protect me, correct me.
You got your orders, soldier.

Devoted Reveler

14,400 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Krateor
first off, do you take any medications?
grapefruit is known to increase the effects of certain medications,
so if you do I would stay away from in just in case.

rice made with chicken broth is going to be very high in sodium.
so the question is, are you really saving yourself from putting salt in there when you're adding 1/2 of your daily requirement of it through the chicken broth?

also, interesting that you crave fats since your body does not naturally use those as energy first.
I definitely recommend eating after a workout or an hour+before, but after works better for some.
the best recommended post-workout snack is actually chocolate milk (according to Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition).
I usually eat something with protein and carbs in it after to replenish what I've used up and rebuild muscle.

you might be able to squeeze in more veggies underneath sauce to get in some fiber.
fiber and fat make you fuller and less likely to want to eat, so I'd go with that.
while we're talking about fiber, have you tried brown rice?
it does have a bit of a flavor but if you are covering it with sauce anyway it shouldn't matter.

kiwis are pretty yummy though =]
User Image
My shadow cast before me,
I walk inside your circle.

Your picture just made me weak in the knees..<3

Protect me, correct me.
You got your orders, soldier.
keiiii
I avoid rice most of the time because it's very high calorie, not to mention all carbs. Even though I don't do low carb, I do stick to a reasonable balance of the macros with a focus on protein, so I need to eat high protein food every meal, more or less. But if you DO eat rice, then I don't see anything wrong with rice made with chicken broth.

And nothing wrong with working out before eating. It's better than the other way around (gives you stitches/ cramps!). Just make sure you have something healthy to eat afterwards. Have it all planned out and ready, so you won't be tempted by unhealthy choices.

A small fry and Jr. Bacon burger are actually not THAT terrible -- not enough protein, but in terms of calories, it's a reasonably sized meal.

Flavor is good smile Just be careful with sodium, and watch your portions because some of the fattier condiments can add a lot of calories.

Rice is not really all that high caloric, if you control portions. But, you are very right on the high carbohydrates they provide. I suggest that you stick to a high amount of carbohydrate consumption for extra energy when you are doing high-energy consuming or prolonged exercises such as running. Again, this is what I believe. Proteins and carbohydrates should be consumed a lot.

5,100 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
Vanessa.k
I've heard ceyenne pepper helps you burn calories or increase your metabolism. Since you metioned you like hot sauce.

Lucky Cleric

12,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Mixing rice in with a bowl of green tea and some tsukemono (different varieties of pickles, easily found in any Japanese supermarket) is a great way to eat rice in my opinion, as you get the benefits of the green tea also.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff