Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Fatcat

For weeks I've been trying to go vegetarian, I even told my father that I wanted to eat healthy and cut back on the junk food and meat (im not a fan of meat) but because of that he's always telling me its too expensive and because of that I end up buying pringles, chocolates, and cookies. And it doesn't help that my father gives me a chocolate bar EVERY morning and buys soda more than water sad
Now my acne has gone horrible and I feel so sluggish now. I've tried to throw away the chocolate in the morning but I end up eating it because I'm starving, and when I get home I try to eat a smaller portion of large unhealthy portions of dinner my father gives me but I get punished if I don't eat all of it and Im gaining weight instead of losing it.

Any help on ways to get past this and cheap healthy foods to try? I never know what to buy these days that last long so I just pile on the junk food since its all I have to eat sad I know there are many simple ways to get pass it all but I tried so many ways and have given up. Btw I'm only 16!

Dapper Codger

Hey there! Eating healthy is definitely a struggle when it comes to working with a budget. I'm a broke college student. LOL.

Are you cutting out all meat entirely or just cutting back?

You need carbs, protein, and good fat.

Foods that won't break the bank and/or give you a lot for your buck

Carbs:
Brown rice
Fruits and veggies (buy in season or in bulk at places like Costco or Sam's Club)
--->> Cheaper fruits include: Bananas, apples (in the bulk bagged ones), grapes, oranges
--->> Cheaper veggies include: spinach, broccoli, zucchini--most are pretty cheap, actually
Whole grain pasta

Protein:
Cottage cheese
Yogurt (buy in the big tub containers, not individual)
Beans/legumes/sprouts
In some green veggies like spinach
Nuts (peanuts)
'Frozen' chicken tenderloins or tilapia (should be in a big package. I get 8-12 pieces of them in a bag for $10)
Ground turkey (85-90% lean meat only)
Eggs (A LOT)

Fat:
Olive oil, nuts, things that have mono and poly saturated fat, but no saturated or trans fat. Don't worry about this section too much.

Dapper Codger

Oatmeal and popcorn (unbuttered) too.

Bashful Flatterer

it's actually a lot cheaper to buy healthy food because the meals last longer. try to tell your dad that.
In my house we don't buy meat at all, and any we have is eaten when we're invited to dinner at other peoples houses. It leaves a larger budget to buy raw fruits and veggies.

the acne is definitely caused by the oils in the foods, so hopefully you can switch over soon. Good luck <3

Bashful Flatterer

i think the best way to explain it is... a box of cookies lasts about 2-4 days for most families, and costs about $4

But buying flour, sugar, milk, and vegetable oil costs about $5.50 and you can make up to 4 different batches of muffins

Shameless Flatterer

Levinan
i think the best way to explain it is... a box of cookies lasts about 2-4 days for most families, and costs about $4

But buying flour, sugar, milk, and vegetable oil costs about $5.50 and you can make up to 4 different batches of muffins

I really never thought of it that way!

Bashful Flatterer

Bandit Queen Inle
Levinan

I really never thought of it that way!

its all about choosing the right stuff. smile
you can get a betty crocker box of muffin mix for $3 but they only make about 12-24 muffins. its about budgeting and thinking. also, not shopping while you're hungry!

Fashionable Millionaire

5,550 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
All I have to say is that it's going to take a lot of mental strength for you to change your diet.
Fast. If you fail at fasting, then punish yourself like... You'll have to run four miles or something on Wednesday or something.
aw man this bums out, I used to be like that, got a bit of a stomach and moobs :c no gusta, a cheap and healthy alternative is rice and beans plus when you eat them in combination you get protein biggrin As for acne try to NOT touch your face whatsoever, it helped me clear mine pretty quick. Try talking to your dad about it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff