Welcome to Gaia! ::

when this is considered healthy by 80% of the population

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

When something seems too delicious to be healthy, it's probably not healthy.

Also, there are two types of fibre.
1 is good for you
The other is not

The fibre in Fibre 1 is the fibre that's bad for you.
but they are delicious. Actually the reason people are fat and unhealthy is because they're eating more than they burn. When you look at the standard american diet, the calorie count can be very staggering, when they're not active. (Not counting the body builders and athletes)
For as long as you're eating fruit, vegetables and complex carbs, I don't think fiber one is going to kill you.
For people who are underweight, I have no idea.

Wheezing Fatcat

Actually, the two types of fiber are soluble and insoluble, and both are healthy when you're eating a recommended amount.

I think what you mean is that eating fiber's not going to do you much good when you're also eating 40 grams of sugar in one little square of brownie (I really have no clue how much sugar are in those things, it's probably not 40g), and that's probably an accurate assessment. But if you ate an otherwise healthy diet of minimally processed lean meats, veggies, etc etc etc... and wanted to have a Fiber One brownie once a week as a treat, you'd be fine.

If you lived off of just Fiber One brownies and granola bars, of course you'd be unhealthy. That is why they put the nutrition labels on those things, after all.
piparminttukaramelli
Actually, the two types of fiber are soluble and insoluble, and both are healthy when you're eating a recommended amount.

I think what you mean is that eating fiber's not going to do you much good when you're also eating 40 grams of sugar in one little square of brownie (I really have no clue how much sugar are in those things, it's probably not 40g), and that's probably an accurate assessment. But if you ate an otherwise healthy diet of minimally processed lean meats, veggies, etc etc etc... and wanted to have a Fiber One brownie once a week as a treat, you'd be fine.

If you lived off of just Fiber One brownies and granola bars, of course you'd be unhealthy. That is why they put the nutrition labels on those things, after all.

Fibre One is loaded with fructose, the main cause of obesity and type 2 diabetes, not to mention a lot of other disorders.
The fibre they put in there is fructan fibre, which is a form of fructose, and the stuff that is making everyone intolerant to wheat.

Fibre One is a glorified chocolate bar.
Latopazora
but they are delicious. Actually the reason people are fat and unhealthy is because they're eating more than they burn. When you look at the standard american diet, the calorie count can be very staggering, when they're not active. (Not counting the body builders and athletes)
For as long as you're eating fruit, vegetables and complex carbs, I don't think fiber one is going to kill you.

That's not how it works.
Your body can burn of glucose, protein, and fat pretty easily.
But when you eat fructose(which fibre one is loaded with) it gets sent straight to your liver and stored at fat. It is significantly harder for your body to burn off fructose, as it can only be metabolized in the liver, unlike glucose which your whole body can use.
When you start eating too much fructose(which is what Fibre One is sweetened with), you start getting health problems like Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, Fatty Liver, Alzheimer's, PCOS, and a bunch of others.
And then there are the opposites who have an intestinal reaction(Fructose is considered to be the cause of IBS in 85% of cases).
Whichever reaction you have, it is bad.
(basically, people who eat a lot of fructose are either obese or dangerously underweight)

Frozen Fairy

Latopazora

So if I ate nothing but chips and pop, but burned it all off, I would be healthy?

Dapper Codger

Everything in moderation. As long as someone isn't eating garbage each meal, then I don't care.
My body is powered by fruits, veggies, rice, sushi, donuts, and ice cream.

If they want to lose weight, eat less. If they want to gain, eat more. If they want to look and feel better, be active. Simple.

Weight or Muscle Loss/Gain = Calories and protein intake
Body Performance = What you eat
Sustainable Lifestyle = Balance

Having those granola-fiber-whatever things won't kill someone if they don't binge on them. There's worse things. They could be eating a tub of lard.
icicle weapon
Latopazora

So if I ate nothing but chips and pop, but burned it all off, I would be healthy?

you wouldn't be obese, so you have that going for you. But no you wouldn't be entirely healthy. Keep in mind, I did say "For as long as you're eating fruit, vegetables and complex carbs, I don't think fiber one is going to kill you."
I'm sorry you missed that. Since I did not imply at all that only eating crap and burning it off is healthy. But over eating and not burning it off can cause obesity and is unhealthy, regardless what you eat.
Carbonated Becel 101
Latopazora

That's not how it works.
But when you eat fructose(which fibre one is loaded with) it gets sent straight to your liver and stored at fat. It is significantly harder for your body to burn off fructose, as it can only be metabolized in the liver, unlike glucose which your whole body can use.
When you start eating too much fructose(which is what Fibre One is sweetened with), you start getting health problems like Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, Fatty Liver, Alzheimer's, PCOS, and a bunch of others.
And then there are the opposites who have an intestinal reaction(Fructose is considered to be the cause of IBS in 85% of cases).
(basically, people who eat a lot of fructose are either obese or dangerously underweight)

Yeah, but how much would you have to eat to get those problems from just fiber one? I doubt people eat only fiber one foods. Most people eat these because they're on the run or just don't have the time to pack a healthy meal, but they don't want fast food and whatever is in the vending machine.
The main reason people are unhealthy is because they eat too much high calorie foods and are very sedentary and lazy.

Super Fairy

11,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
I don't think anyone eats those often enough to be fat just from those. Gotta take into account the American diet...

I'm thankful for my asian genetics. I could probably eat 3 boxes of those and still be the same weight. lol
Latopazora
Carbonated Becel 101
Latopazora

That's not how it works.

Yeah, but how much would you have to eat to get those problems from just fiber one? I doubt people eat only fiber one foods. Most people eat these because they're on the run or just don't have the time to pack a healthy meal, but they don't want fast food and whatever is in the vending machine.

Most people live off processed foods, you know, frozen lasagne, Campbell's soup, chips, Sidekicks, processed sugar-ridden luncheon meat, processed cheese(kraft singles), boxed foods(Kraft Mac N Cheese, Betty Crocker Instant Mashed/Scallopped Potatoes, canned sugar-ridden vegetables devoid of nutrients, apple sauce(which is pure sugar-all nutrients are destroyed/removed in the processing), sugar-ridden cereals. . .
And when you advertise stuff like Fibre One as healthy, they then believe it is, and they usually believe all the other crap they're eating is healthy as well.
Fibre One bars(and all granola bars) belong in the snack aisle with the chips, soda, and candy.
Chips are significantly better for you than FIbre One.
well, when you take into consideration that a fiber one bar, or one of those brownies are just 90 calories, as opposed to the 181 calories in a snickers bar, or 100+ calories in all the other junk foods you find in most places, fiber one bars is still a better option.
If people are going to eat a ton of processed foods, they're going to eat processed foods. You can try to pound into their heads that they're bad for you. But if you can give them lower calorie options, at least then they're not consuming so much more than they burn. You can't force people to eat fresh and organic- not happening. I don't bother buying fresh produce anymore, I buy stuff frozen. Fiber One, along with all the other processed "health" foods, is just a slightly better option than candy bar and a bag of chips. Its not as healthy as a fresh salad with avocado and chicken, but better than a lot of other cheap and easily accessible foods.
As for fructose causing obesity, well so do excess calories. So I'm pretty sure people can still lose weight enjoying some processed foods that are advertised as "healthy", so long as they keep active and watch what they eat. Even if what they eat a lot of is processed.

Angelic Phantom

LOL i don't know I feel happy when I'm in North America because I feel actually normal here at least

when I travel back to Asian countries and see my friends who live there I am just like.

neutral

"You are still dieting? Really?...."

crying

Bloodthirsty Hellhound

13,600 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Campaign Manager 500
A significant reason why people are obese is because of the food being eaten. Sure, all the fat free foods and crap sound promising...but in reality they are typically loaded with sugar, which turns into fat very easily. Also a lot of the food is enriched, so you don't get full and continue to be hungry. Not to mention GMOs...there is more wrong with the food being produced than just what is on the labeling.
A healthy diet should consist heavily of organic fruits, vegetables, and healthy snacks like almonds.

Also, take a look at the back of your carton of milk. There is likely at least 10 grams of sugar per cup, and more sugar than protein. That alone should say quite a bit about how far the food problem in the US extends. xd

I used to eat 100% junk food all the time. Now it is nearly entirely fruits and vegetables. It isn't as bad as it sounds. Something unhealthy once in awhile isn't bad though. It rewards you for being good, and plus you'll enjoy it a lot more if you don't eat food like that often.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff