Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Shapeshifter

16,950 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
I am a person who is very much into healthy living and because of this I am wary about taking prescriptions.

My doctor is prescribing me Zoloft (an anti-depressant) even though I am not depressed, do not have OCD, do not have social anxiety, etc. I went to the Zoloft website and found a list of all the things it is used for, and I have none of those. My doctor claims that it is not only used for mental problems, but for chronic pain. (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis) I can't find anywhere that says Zoloft helps with joint pain. Is she telling me the truth? I feel very uncomfortable taking this if I have no mental disabilities.

I'd also like to know how exactly, if my doctor is correct, does Zoloft help joint pain from arthritis? What properties in it would affect that?

I realize that these types of drugs increase serotonin, if I take this when I do not need serotonin increase, will this have adverse affects on me and my emotional development as a human being?
i dont know it helps with joint pain but i know some doctors lik to put you on meds u DONT need. they arnt always right and all i can say is if you think its a bad idea to take them you shouldny sad keep in mind if you have heath insurance they will prescribe you meds just to get money. now im not saying all doctors are like this but some are i wish u
you luck and i will look around to see if it dose help with pain.

Time-traveling Senshi

If you're having doubts see if you can get a second opinion. Ask your doctor if (s)he can recommend someone who specializes in dealing with RA. You'd probably be better off having a relationship with a Rheumatologist who can help you manage any pain you might be having. They can give you the proper treatment courses along with physical exercises you can do to keep the pain in check so you don't have to be taking too many prescriptions for it. It never hurts to speak with someone whose job it is to treat your specific condition.

Ruthless Mage

10,350 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Member 100
  • Friendly 100
Ask another medical professional?

Divine Zealot

I don't know, that sounds suspicious to me. Outside of asking a few other doctors, I can't see why he couldn't, I don't know... prescribe something for general pain in the first place? Using a medication outside of it's original intent for the use of a side effect...

I hope they're not getting paid to spread that stuff around. Ask a few others, though, but I'd personally say (demand it, rather) the use of another medication.

Big Duck

I agree with what Chibi Halo said, and I suggest you do that as well.

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
Radiant Historia
I am a person who is very much into healthy living and because of this I am wary about taking prescriptions.

My doctor is prescribing me Zoloft (an anti-depressant) even though I am not depressed, do not have OCD, do not have social anxiety, etc. I went to the Zoloft website and found a list of all the things it is used for, and I have none of those. My doctor claims that it is not only used for mental problems, but for chronic pain. (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis) I can't find anywhere that says Zoloft helps with joint pain. Is she telling me the truth? I feel very uncomfortable taking this if I have no mental disabilities.

I'd also like to know how exactly, if my doctor is correct, does Zoloft help joint pain from arthritis? What properties in it would affect that?

I realize that these types of drugs increase serotonin, if I take this when I do not need serotonin increase, will this have adverse affects on me and my emotional development as a human being?

Actually, yes. Many antidepressant drugs are also used for pain medication. Zoloft, which is an SSRI, is considered safer (in terms of side effects) than tricyclics, for example, although it may not be as potent for pain relief. At the end of the day, it's your choice whether or not to take your medication. You're not really in a serious condition, and the Zoloft will not cure your arthritis, just make it more tolerable. So it's up to you.

But to answer your question, your doctor is not wrong. Doctors are usually very careful when prescribing things because of the constant threat of getting sued.

Divine Sage

Radiant Historia

Ask your doctor for an alternative. Most of the time, your doctor will heed your request.

Shameless Conversationalist

8,700 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Get a new doctor.
A second opinion never hurt.

As someone else suggested, speak to a Rheumatologist if you can get a referral, as they'll be familiar with medications commonly prescribed to those with your condition. Also, speak with a pharmacist as medications are their specialty and they can give you a bit more in depth explanation of why Zoloft is used, what properties in it work for RA, how it could affect you, etc.
Zoloft is a type of antidepressant known as an SSRI. Generally the antidepressants used for pain are SNRIs and TCAs, though I suppose using an SSRI for it isn't completely outside the realm of possibility.

Antidepressants are generally best at treating nerve pain, which usually feels like a burning or electric shock type pain that may involve numbness and/or tingling. They are also good for neuropsychiatric conditions like fibromyalgia, where the symptoms can be at least partially modified by one's psychiatric state.

Arthritis tends to be more of an achy pain that usually is helped more by NSAIDs, steroids, and some specialty drugs.

Zoloft shouldn't affect your emotional development. It does have the potential to trigger depression, flatten your mood, and lower your sex drive. You can read the package label for other side effects, and just be aware of any changes while you're on the med. Also, keep in mind that SSRIs like Zoloft take a while to build up in your system, and that they shouldn't be stopped suddenly (you should be weaned off, especially at higher doses.)

The first question on your mind should be whether the medication seems to be helping your pain. If it's not, you should talk to your doctor about it. And if you're still not getting anywhere, then it might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

16,950 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
Thank you all for your input, I especially appreciate the very insightful posts. I think that since the side effects are quiet mild compared to many other medications, I will go ahead and try it just to see. I want to at least give my doctor a chance. (it would take too long to get another doctor at the moment, finding a new place, making my insurance accept it etc etc.)

I am glad to know that there is a chance my doctor isn't being sneaky. xD
Different doctors have been renowned for make prescriptions where they are not needed so long as they are not detrimental to your health. It's a marketing scam. If you are healthy and not convinced you need it, see a different doctor to see what they think. Don't tell them why you're there, just get the same check-up and see what they say.
l_Shamrock_l
Different doctors have been renowned for make prescriptions where they are not needed so long as they are not detrimental to your health. It's a marketing scam.

Zoloft's been generic for 7 years. I doubt any drug rep is going to be trying to sell it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff