Welcome to Gaia! ::

Frozen Fairy

So I'm thinking I'm intolerant to cocoa and coffee, making me wonder if they're related.

I originally thought my sickness from chocolate was caused purely by sugar, but eating a bite of a brownie will cause me more pain than eating a Cinnabon, so I'm guessing it's not entirely sugar.
Not to mention when I take unsweetened cocoa and mix it with water and drink it, I still get really sick.

The same things happen when I drink coffee. I do not add milk or sugar to my coffee.
I would think at first it was caffeine.
But:
1 cup of coffee has about 99mg of caffeine
1 cup of tea has about 33mg of caffeien.

I was drinking a the short size at Starbucks, and getting sick(Starbucks coffee makes me least sick of all coffee types)
And I ordered a small of dark roast at Second Cup(dark has least caffeine), I drank less than half of it before I started feeling sick, then I dumped it, and was sick for the rest of the day)
But I would drink 3 cups of black tea on a regular basis, so equals to same amount.
Not to mention I've had RedBull and didn't get the same reaction.
Anyway, so it's not caffeine.

So, what's in coffee and cocoa that's making me sick?

Note: it's not a thing of me just not liking the taste of coffee, because I find Starbucks Pike, Starbucks Kati Kati, and Seattle's Best(which is also technically Starbucks) to be absolutely delicious.
Coffee plant is part of the rubiaceae family, while the cocoa plant is from the malvaceae family. Essentially coffee comes from shrubs or small trees, while cocoa beans come from large evergreen trees. The only thing they have in common is that they're beans and they have caffeine.
I don't know what's in them that's making you sick, maybe you're just more sensitive to whatever it is than everyone else.
My first thought would be because you're drinking Starbucks, maybe try a different brand? And also, why would you drink unsweetened cocoa? I know the taste alone would make me sick.

Frozen Fairy

Latopazora
Coffee plant is part of the rubiaceae family, while the cocoa plant is from the malvaceae family. Essentially coffee comes from shrubs or small trees, while cocoa beans come from large evergreen trees. The only thing they have in common is that they're beans and they have caffeine.
I don't know what's in them that's making you sick, maybe you're just more sensitive to whatever it is than everyone else.
My first thought would be because you're drinking Starbucks, maybe try a different brand? And also, why would you drink unsweetened cocoa? I know the taste alone would make me sick.
its not that uncommon of a drink.

I drink Starbucks, Second Cup, Maxwell House, McDonalds, Nabob

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas