Welcome to Gaia! ::

Partying Capitalist

...and start getting off my lazy a** to do things.
But I need some advice/help/idk.

I'm 18, 5'0 and going on 164 lbs.

Ok so during my last recent attempt at weight loss (last september-december) I had dropped down to 145. I ate healthily, did cardio 4-5 times a week and they felt like the best months of my life. I had always struggled with weight loss and finally seeing myself make progress was exciting.

Then came college and scholarship applications along with harder classes during my final spring semester. I didn't really know how to manage my time and started pulling all nighters, eating fast food, and long story short... I got into some really bad habits and gained it all back.
Crap in my family also happened which made me feel really down for a couple of months too.

It's already July, and I haven't even started doing anything for myself. My self-esteem is an at all time low . My clothes don't really fit anymore and I've resorted to just t-shirts and jeans. I just really I don't even know where to start anymore. emotion_facepalm

fuuuuck... I just need to snap out of this s**t.

Where do you guys get your motivation to just start again?

Anything is really appreciated, thank you.

Premium Trainer

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
ah the freshman 15.....thats why i didnt goto college lol jk. my motivation to stay in shape comes from being a kid and being around a lot of violence and people with obesity. if you want a east way to get motivated you should do dance or play dancing games. dancing is really fun and burns fat really fast.

Partying Capitalist

cgoodness
ah the freshman 15.....thats why i didnt goto college lol jk. my motivation to stay in shape comes from being a kid and being around a lot of violence and people with obesity. if you want a east way to get motivated you should do dance or play dancing games. dancing is really fun and burns fat really fast.

lol i haven't even started college yet.
emotion_drool

i did try zumba once... it was pretty fun even though i sucked at dancing.
i'll see if i can give it another try in a couple of days. (suffering from really bad jet lag atm)

Premium Trainer

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
dajwa
cgoodness

emotion_drool

i'll see if i can give it another try in a couple of days. (suffering from really bad jet lag atm)

i considered doing zumba once, but its just a bunch of elderly ladies their lol.

Partying Capitalist

cgoodness
dajwa
cgoodness

emotion_drool

i considered doing zumba once, but its just a bunch of elderly ladies their lol.

awww.
not at my local gym.
blaugh

Fashionable Genius

dajwa
...and start getting off my lazy a** to do things.
But I need some advice/help/idk.

I'm 18, 5'0 and going on 164 lbs.

Ok so during my last recent attempt at weight loss (last september-december) I had dropped down to 145. I ate healthily, did cardio 4-5 times a week and they felt like the best months of my life. I had always struggled with weight loss and finally seeing myself make progress was exciting.

Then came college and scholarship applications along with harder classes during my final spring semester. I didn't really know how to manage my time and started pulling all nighters, eating fast food, and long story short... I got into some really bad habits and gained it all back.
Crap in my family also happened which made me feel really down for a couple of months too.

It's already July, and I haven't even started doing anything for myself. My self-esteem is an at all time low . My clothes don't really fit anymore and I've resorted to just t-shirts and jeans. I just really I don't even know where to start anymore. emotion_facepalm

fuuuuck... I just need to snap out of this s**t.

Where do you guys get your motivation to just start again?

Anything is really appreciated, thank you.

I can tell you my motivation comes through my Father. He used to be a complete health nut. He'd never skip a workout, ate properly, and always did his best. Unfortunately somewhere along the line, he ended up getting an enlarged heart (if he did not have it to begin with... The it just began to give him problems), thus inducing him to stop workout out, eating right, and overall not taking proper care of himself... And landed him in a early grave. He's my inspiration, and motivation to drag my butt out of bed at four and five in the morning and beast every workout, because like anyone else... I just wanted to lose weight... And get skinny... But then, when I found myself getting slimmer, building muscles, and getting stronger... Something changed in me. I started to not only love myself, but learn the true meaning of discipline, dedication, and what hard work was really all about... And not only did I enjoy the principles that I had gathered/instilled, but I enjoyed the beauty of muscle on a woman's anatomy, I became addicted to working out- it's all I could think about (even on my recovery day), and it came just as natural as breathing.

Sure, there are some days where I feel like I'm at a standstill, or I don't see any progress being made... But I know that if I continue working hard, the progress will show... Even by a hair. It's inspiring- when you being to commit to a better lifestyle, just how many people you inspire, and how they ask you for advice- it's amazing! I love giving people the motivation and inspiration to better themselves, because in return- it makes me want to continue to make improvements on my own.

It also helps that my fiance is just as admit and committed to working out and eating clean just as I am- if anything, we push each other... We compete... And we strive for bettering ourselves with each rep, or mile we take. I'm also surrounded by those who are constantly busting their butt to build a better-self; so the environment, significant others, and friends we surround ourselves with can also make a huge difference. :]

Romantic Vampire

You have to find a type of workout you have fun doing, so that way even if you start feeling discouraged, you still have fun doing it. Try getting on the Health & Fitness thread on Pintrest, people are always posting interesting workouts and healthy snack ideas on there.
I say give Zumba a shot again (its a fav of mine so I'm biased), if you feel too silly going to an actual class there are DVDs and games for it.
You just gotta slowly get back into that healthy or fitness life. smile This summer I started watching lots of youtube videos and one person that really got my attention was "Blogilates". She has a set calender and all these videos on youtube for free. You should really check her out!! The workout might be challenging sometimes but they are pretty fun and shes very motivating. Sometimes I feel the same too, I start to lack motivation. We just have to try new things! I hope things go well for you. :}
dajwa

im in the same exact boat as you right now. like literally. generally same height and
weight. stress and depression has taken me from a size 3/4 to a 12. i know how you feel when
you say you have a low self esteem and nothing fits. im actually just starting to eat healthy
myself and feel better.

what motivates me? sometimes i pull out my old clothes, and instead of feeling horrible for
not being able to fit into them, i imagine how great it will be when i can fit into them again.
i also just remember that eating healthy and exercising will not only help me lose weight, but
it will prevent other health problems like diabetes, break outs, heart issues, ect. and it helps
to remember that it's not a race. if you dont lose a bunch of weight before college starts, thats
definitely ok. as long as youve started to become aware of your health. realizing that you
need to change is the first step in progress.

another thing that helps is to keep a food journal. you can write it down, or use a site.
my fitness pal has really helped me out a lot! it helps when you can keep track of how many
calories youre eating and what youre eating.

the other thing is support. see if your parents, friends, someone will support you in your
weight loss journey. gaia has several weight loss guilds/groups too. and im open to being
your weight loss buddy/someone you can talk to if you need it. support helps a lot.

slowly ease back into a healthy lifestyle. drink more water instead of juices or pops. eat
carrots instead of chips, maybe a banana instead of chocolate. little substitutions definitely
help and make eating healthier seem way easier. plus if you do something you like for exercise,
it doesnt seem like that much work. a dance game, or playing a sport with friends. i like to jump
rope too, and play things like soccer. its fun and gets you fit!

good luck, and feel free to pm me if you ever need anything c:

Partying Capitalist

So many responses!

Niskey

Wow! You left me speechless, sorry.
Having that kind of discipline is amazing, lots of kudos to you.
I'm sorry for your loss, though.

Unfortunately, many of my friends and family are not in to the whole healthy lifestyle thing. I mean it's okay that they're not, but it must be very nice to know people like that!
but.. Hey, I guess that's what fitblrs and such are for!
This is very inspiring. Thank you!

Kemeah
-

Ahh cool! Pinterest is sorta like tumblr, right? I'll look into it, though. thanks!

Zumba is definitely one of my favorites too. (My all time fave being insanity.)
I only have the DVDs though, so I'll do those again. biggrin

Pink_Sniffles
-

I've heard of those! Haha, another thing to add to my list of workouts to try.
Thank you!!
emotion_bigheart

the dancing duckling
-

You just make me feel like just taking some of my clothes out of the closet and start imagining how they'll fit once I start to lose some weight. I mean that in a good way, of course!

ahh yeah, I used to get so impatient that I would just stop exercising and gain it all back. rofl
I think I have a bit more patience now, hopefully.

Ahh... Most of my friends and family are not really into fitness and such. So a weight loss buddy sounds awesome! (i'll drop a pm soon about it o: )
Your post is very motivating. thank you!!

Pal

dajwa

Search up blogilates on youtube, she has some really fun workouts B)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff