Welcome to Gaia! ::

People start because they think it will help them relax or help them appear cooler, or because of peer pressure, typically.

Then it is so psychologically and physiologically addicting, you can't stop.

Best advice is usually to satisfy the psychologically addiction/oral fixation with gum, carrots, gobstoppers, or whatever you find helps.

The physiological addiction means you will experience withdrawal symptoms, but only for a short time. Once a few days have passed, only psychological addiction will remain.

I've heard stories about people taking 3 days off work/school and quitting cold turkey. They just slept a lot and freaked out and then 3 days later it was all over.
Okay so whoever said quit cold turkey has obviously never smoked a day in their lives exclaim I quit smoking last year,February 8, when I was 20 and i'd been smoking since I was 14 (Don't ask, I was stupid and going through more than my fair share and all that jazz). I set my date three weeks before and started with cutting down (I was a pack a day girl) to half a pack for the first week. 5 cigarettes a day the second. and then one cigarette a day the last week. And then when the day came up I didn't ever smoke or buy any other cigarettes. That's where the gum came in. I would chew a piece whenever the need struck me (which was all the time for the first two weeks after). I would play with it also to satisfy my idle hands.

For the record, before this I had tried three times to quit cold turkey and I ended up angry at everyone and ended up trading one vice for another. It was a miracle I didn't kill anyone!

Tipsy Noob

My uni has a 2-credit wellness class for quitting smoking and our student health center has pamphlets about it and a support group! I strongly suggest checking out resources on your on campus or on other nearby campuses (if you have access to a car).

The only person I know that smoked was my mom and she quit cold turkey the day she found out she was pregnant, so that's not much help.
I'm an off an on smoker, mostly social or situational smoker. I tend to smoke when I'm super stressed about something. I went back to the pack after my car got broken into with a court case (unrelated) looming over my head, life just finally got to me and I cracked after 4 or so months of quitting cold turkey.

I always quit cold turkey. I have the mentality that nobody is forcing me to quit, nothing in the world is stopping me from walking into any store and buying my cigarettes other than my through dislike for them and lack of want for them. Your picture isn't behind the counter with the words "do not sell this person cigarettes" or in your case supplies to roll your own.
Its a matter of wanting to finally be rid of them. I never enjoyed them. I started because of stress, my job made me hate my life and I had stopped purging and cutting so I just switched up one form of self harm for another.
Just consider what you're doing to yourself, really decide how much you care if at all about what the smoke is doing to you.
I get regular cravings but then I remember the smell and taste and the fact that I thoroughly detest both. My hate for the habit outweighs my cravings.

People will throw things out there like "change your routine" well s**t I used to wake up and smoke, so I'm not supposed to wake up anymore?
I would smoke with my morning coffee, so I'm never supposed to drink coffee again.
I would smoke after a good run, so I suppose I'm ever going running again?
That method makes literally no sense.

In the end nobody can actually help you quit smoking except yourself. You're the one that has to make the decision to stop if you want to. You also kinda have to want to. If its just financial then it probably won't hold, you'll find ways to get money for your addiction.

You'll have slip ups and you'll buy packs once in a while or bum one when a serious craving hits and that is okay! Its part of the process. Decide if you want to finish out that pack and start again or if you just wanted a few and give them to someone else.
I can't count the number of times I've bought a pack to only smoke 2 or 3 out of the whole thing and gave them away to friends.
Though honestly if I buy a pack I thoroughly intend to smoke every last one of those expensive littler ******** myself.

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I had to quit when I moved back with my mother. You'll likely put on weight, but hard candy is a great substitute if you can resist the urge of chewing it impulsively like I did xp

I also chewed on toothpicks when around other smokers, to give my mouth something to do while I basked in my jealousy. I tried treating it like I would a cigarette, holding it away from my mouth when talking and only putting it back to my lips when I felt like I wanted to take a drag. Imitating my old body language habits helped soothe the craving.

Friendly Explorer

I am also a smoker it's difficult to stop I've been trying to stop for a while. What really gets me is my friends offering cigarettes. As soon as I run out I think I'm done until somebody gets me 1.
I think another good thing to help stop smoking would be to start doing stuff for yourself like exercising and doing other activities that do you like to do. Trying keep yourself entertained it works a lot and you won't even want smoke because you won't even be thinking about smoking.
I was so wrapped up in doing things yesterday I didn't even remember cigarettes hahaha.

Original Gaian

7,650 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
awestyn
I am also a smoker it's difficult to stop I've been trying to stop for a while. What really gets me is my friends offering cigarettes. As soon as I run out I think I'm done until somebody gets me 1.
I think another good thing to help stop smoking would be to start doing stuff for yourself like exercising and doing other activities that do you like to do. Trying keep yourself entertained it works a lot and you won't even want smoke because you won't even be thinking about smoking.
I was so wrapped up in doing things yesterday I didn't even remember cigarettes hahaha.

That's good advice it's just difficult to keep busy right now

Ven Loki's Buddy

Heroic Allegiant

17,375 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Team Peyo 25
good luck, man. ;___;
i once knew someone who would smoke like.. two packs of cigs a day and whenever I tried to tell him to quit, or to persuade him, he just ended up throwing a hissy fit at me. ;o;
it must be a really personal thing.

anyways, good luck, yus

Tipsy Genius

I was peer pressured and loved it since day one. Try the electrical cigarettes that use water vapour.You still get to do the action without the consequence. Many of my friends have had luck.

Newbie Noob

The only way to quit smoking is to actually want to quit.
Get some gum to help you out though

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces