Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unholy Mage

12,750 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bookworm 100
A lot of people eat way more meat than they need to anyway. You only need a piece the size of a cigarette packet three times a week to get the nutrients you need.
If you feel healthy, have energy and rarely get sick then your diet is right for you.
I've been vegetarian for about 7 years now and it is bad for you, I guess. My iron levels are really low. I can't give blood because of it. I have other iron sources though like nuts, mushrooms, that fake meat stuff you can buy now, etc, but it doesn't really help at all with bringing my iron back up, and all the iron pills I've been prescribed make me feel so ill to the point of the sitting there shaking, crying and wanting to throw up.

Divine Zealot

The Whiskey Witch
A lot of people eat way more meat than they need to anyway. You only need a piece the size of a cigarette packet three times a week to get the nutrients you need.
If you feel healthy, have energy and rarely get sick then your diet is right for you.

This.

Also, this. Most people eat just the muscle, when there's a lot of other good stuff in the animals we could be getting.

Also, thinking it over, some vegetarians like eating eggs, dairy, and other such products.

Tipsy Prophet

I've been vegan/ vegetarian for two years now. (I go back and forth for my husband since it sometimes make preparing dinner or ordering out easier if I at least eat cheese. I still drink almond or soy milk though even as a vegetarian and generally stay away from eggs but there are some months where I just stick strictly to a vegan diet because I feel like it. Lots of fruit, nuts, green and beans)

I just had a full blood panel work out at the doctor last month and he said everything, thyroid, cholesterol, vitamins were perfect except I was a bit low in vitamin D which is easily remedied with a daily vitamin or just going outside for like 15 minutes a day. So other than that I'm healthy as a horse but then again I eat a healthy vegetarian diet. You have to make sure you include a full spectrum of foods. You can't live off cereal and cheese pizza and expect to be healthy.

For the person that said they were so low in iron, things like spinach, broccoli and kale are all excellent sources of iron.
User Image I'm more of a poultry-eater myself, as I don't like red meat (especially any pig product), and am a fan of eggs since they do have a lot of protein and a lot of other nutrients.
Personally, I believe eating some meat is healthy, since lets face, humans are omnivores, many humans (even those who live in a primarily vegetarian societies) ate some type meat. Since you like to eat fish, then let that be your source of meat. If anything, fish is the best type of meat people can consume and not have to ever eat another type of animal. I can only eat tuna or salmon, since those are the only fish I like.
But you will have to get iron and b complex, since especially red meat is high in those nutrients. And yes, they're also found in plants, but the human body has a much easier time absorbing most nutrients from meats than from plants. That's why it's essential for vegetarians and vegans to take supplements, because plant-based products alone aren't enough. Also, know the difference between heme iron and non-heme iron.
Though, you're probably better off taking the supplements and just eating plant-based foods, because today's red meat just isn't the red meat our ancestors ate. Though, take care to watch your plants as well, some plants have been altered to meet high demands, corn and soy especially. Soy isn't the only plant that has a lot of protein.

Newbie Noob

Latopazora
User Image I'm more of a poultry-eater myself, as I don't like red meat (especially any pig product), and am a fan of eggs since they do have a lot of protein and a lot of other nutrients.
Personally, I believe eating some meat is healthy, since lets face, humans are omnivores, many humans (even those who live in a primarily vegetarian societies) ate some type meat. Since you like to eat fish, then let that be your source of meat. If anything, fish is the best type of meat people can consume and not have to ever eat another type of animal. I can only eat tuna or salmon, since those are the only fish I like.
But you will have to get iron and b complex, since especially red meat is high in those nutrients. And yes, they're also found in plants, but the human body has a much easier time absorbing most nutrients from meats than from plants. That's why it's essential for vegetarians and vegans to take supplements, because plant-based products alone aren't enough. Also, know the difference between heme iron and non-heme iron.
Though, you're probably better off taking the supplements and just eating plant-based foods, because today's red meat just isn't the red meat our ancestors ate. Though, take care to watch your plants as well, some plants have been altered to meet high demands, corn and soy especially. Soy isn't the only plant that has a lot of protein.

I'm a meat eater myself, but that statement above is completely false. A lot of my friends are either vegan or vegetarian and they are completely healthy. On the other end of the spectrum, the friends of mine who are omnivores are the ones that require the supplements because they eat too much meat and not enough fruits and vegetables. The trick to veganism, vegetarianism, and being healthy in general is learning what food sources provide the essential nutrients that you need.
wolfman1941
Latopazora

I'm a meat eater myself, but that statement above is completely false. A lot of my friends are either vegan or vegetarian and they are completely healthy. On the other end of the spectrum, the friends of mine who are omnivores are the ones that require the supplements because they eat too much meat and not enough fruits and vegetables. The trick to veganism, vegetarianism, and being healthy in general is learning what food sources provide the essential nutrients that you need.
User Image

I'm not saying meat eaters don't have to take supplements, they do if they're not eating fruits and vegetables. I completely agree. The problem is is that there are nutrients like protein, iron, B-12 and essential fats that are found in meat, and are better absorbed from meat rather than plants. Vegetarians/vegans don't need to eat meat to get these, since they're available in supplement form.

Newbie Noob

Latopazora
wolfman1941
Latopazora

User Image

I'm not saying meat eaters don't have to take supplements, they do if they're not eating fruits and vegetables. I completely agree. The problem is is that there are nutrients like protein, iron, B-12 and essential fats that are found in meat, and are better absorbed from meat rather than plants. Vegetarians/vegans don't need to eat meat to get these, since they're available in supplement form.

I have no idea where you're getting that information from. Every doctor I've ever talked to and every nutrition book I've read has said the exact opposite. The human body has a much easier time absorbing nutrients from plant based sources. Plant sources are much simpler than meat so the body has an easier time digesting and processing them, thus getting the nutrients from them quicker and easier. Protein, iron, and B-12 can all be obtained from other sources. Nuts and beans are excellent sources of protein. Broccoli and spinach are excellent sources of iron. B-12 is the only one that's a little tricky. You need supplements for that one OR fortified foods like fortified nut/soy/rice milks, cereals, nutritional yeast, etc.

Sweet Gaian

Thank you everyone for the helpful information. biggrin
I went from being an omnivore, to pescetarian, back to omnivore to vegetarian / wannabe vegan.

I am currently an ovo-lacto vegetarian, wich means I consume eggs and I (reluctantly) consume dairy products. I eat a TON of spinach and broccoli, right about everyday for all the good nutrients. I've only been vegetarian for two months, but I feel great. I make sure to eat as varied as I can, when it comes to vegetables, fruits, etc. I basically eat anything grown. I'm not picky. whee

My best friend is an ovo-lacto vegetarian of about 4 years, I think, and she is perfectly healthy and sound, as she eats a nutrient rich and varied diet. She does not take any supplements and neither do I. Her sister, however, is an unhealthy vegetarian as she lives off of crackers, pesto and hummus. Variation is key!

I personally feel like my overall well being has increased. Especially my digestion is flawless, as before I could get cramps or stomach ache if I ate a lot of starch, simple carbs and wheat products. Dairy cream also messes everything up for me, and that's why I try to keep away from dairy as much as possible. But yeah, increasing your vegetable intake, is NEVER bad. With that said, I've never really felt particularly ill when consuming meat. I became vegetarian for ethical reasons, but that's a completely different story. wink

Divine Zealot

wolfman1941
I have no idea where you're getting that information from. Every doctor I've ever talked to and every nutrition book I've read has said the exact opposite. The human body has a much easier time absorbing nutrients from plant based sources. Plant sources are much simpler than meat so the body has an easier time digesting and processing them, thus getting the nutrients from them quicker and easier. Protein, iron, and B-12 can all be obtained from other sources. Nuts and beans are excellent sources of protein. Broccoli and spinach are excellent sources of iron. B-12 is the only one that's a little tricky. You need supplements for that one OR fortified foods like fortified nut/soy/rice milks, cereals, nutritional yeast, etc.

Doctors are usually not informed on nutrition. It's why we have nutritionists. Most doctors I've had were qualified to deal with diseases, and prescribing medications. It may be different for your area, though.

Depends on the plant. Starchy items, like potatoes, carrots, etc... No problem. However, the insoluble fiber of most greens (lettuce, kale, broccoli, etc...) are near impossible to break down for the human body because of it's particular setup. It's hard to absorb stuff out of something when you have a hard time breaking it down. Just look at one of the common comments about corn is.

It is far easier for us to get our nutrition from plants by eating the animals that can properly break down those things (cows, deer, etc...) and eat them. Unfortunately, most of our critters are not raised to eat what they should be, and to make it worse, when's the last time most people you know ate something other than muscle meat? Organs, liver in particular, store a lot of really amazing nutrition, and it's pretty cheap too. Our store hardly sells them because they're not popular, at all.

That said, vegan can work. You just have to know your stuff. Some people screw it all up and end up getting sick or something, and blame the diet for it, when they should have gotten their facts straight beforehand.

Aged Lunatic

3,400 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100
If you cook greens with something acidic such as tomatoes or vinegar, you'll be able to absorb the nutrients better.

Aged Lunatic

3,400 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100

Blessed Mage

9,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
Yooms
Is it a bad choice to not eat any red meats and poultry? My doctor told me that it's not healthy for me to not eat any red meats and poultry.. do you think he's just saying that so I'll start eating it? Honestly, I'm much happier not eating any sort of red meat and poultry. I'm not vegan or vegetarian because I do eat ham and seafood.

I just want everyone's (preferably people who don't eat meat) opinion on this topic.

Thanks. biggrin

Your doctor is a quack! I am perfectly healthy as a vegetarian at 34 weeks pregnant. Your doctor is saying that because red meat tends to give you more iron, but you can get it from broccoli and iron fortified foods (Special K for one).

Honestly, once my daughter is born, and I am done breast feeding, I am probably going full vegan. Any form of animal product consumed by a human has been directly linked to the increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. (Check out the documentary "Forks Over Knives", as well as www.forksoverknives.com

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

SilvyrRayn
Yooms
Is it a bad choice to not eat any red meats and poultry? My doctor told me that it's not healthy for me to not eat any red meats and poultry.. do you think he's just saying that so I'll start eating it? Honestly, I'm much happier not eating any sort of red meat and poultry. I'm not vegan or vegetarian because I do eat ham and seafood.

I just want everyone's (preferably people who don't eat meat) opinion on this topic.

Thanks. biggrin

Your doctor is a quack! I am perfectly healthy as a vegetarian at 34 weeks pregnant. Your doctor is saying that because red meat tends to give you more iron, but you can get it from broccoli and iron fortified foods (Special K for one).

Honestly, once my daughter is born, and I am done breast feeding, I am probably going full vegan. Any form of animal product consumed by a human has been directly linked to the increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. (Check out the documentary "Forks Over Knives", as well as www.forksoverknives.com

Forks Over Knives seems to work with the Engine 2 diet, which has been criticized as encouraging the use of processed vegetarian foods such as Boca Burgers and Morningstar Farms products. Generally when I cook, I want to make most of my food from scratch and not have a bulk of the meal come from a value-added vegetarian product. That makes me leery of FOK somewhat, but I do like the idea of cooking with REAL vegetables and REAL grains. Boca Burgers are miserable little piles of... ick.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff