Welcome to Gaia! ::

Excitable Exhibitionist

butter in coffee
overweight/obese

When you have a food intolerance, eating the food that you are intolerant causes digestive distress like diarrhea and whatnot, and affects the absorption of nutrients.
One of the most visible symptoms of undiagnosed food intolerance is being underweight.
So when you go 20 years eating wheat, and then you test postitive for Celiac and you are fat, I can't believe it.
If you're one of those 90-100 pound 22 year-olds telling me you just found out you have Celiac or Fructmal or whatnot, then I have an easier time believing it.

Also, new studies show, most Celiacs don't have Celiac, but a sensitivity to the carbohydrates in wheat.

It depends on how the body reacts to gluten.

Mine was destroying itself so I weigh 77 pounds when we finally figured out the problem.

My sister weigh 220. Her body was saying "I'm starving" and storing everything her body ate as fat. So it is very possible.
Lunnietic
butter in coffee
overweight/obese

When you have a food intolerance, eating the food that you are intolerant causes digestive distress like diarrhea and whatnot, and affects the absorption of nutrients.
One of the most visible symptoms of undiagnosed food intolerance is being underweight.
So when you go 20 years eating wheat, and then you test postitive for Celiac and you are fat, I can't believe it.
If you're one of those 90-100 pound 22 year-olds telling me you just found out you have Celiac or Fructmal or whatnot, then I have an easier time believing it.

Also, new studies show, most Celiacs don't have Celiac, but a sensitivity to the carbohydrates in wheat.

Mine was destroying itself so I weigh 77 pounds when we finally figured out the problem.

My sister weigh 220. Her body was saying "I'm starving" and storing everything her body ate as fat. So it is very possible.

yeah, but if your body is attacking stuff in your intestines, you don't absorb anything, which is why you get skinny from food intolerances.

Savage Strawberry

butter in coffee
Ghostfrost
My gluten problem actually caused me to gain weight. When I stopped eating it I lost weight rather quickly and everyone freaked out because they thought I had an eating disorder (i didn't lol).

My lifestyle before then was healthy too. I exercised a lot and ate healthy things like whole wheat stuff (oh the irony).

My digestive tract is very sensitive and whenever I have foods I can't handle I notice my weight increases too. I'm not sure why, but I've heard other a few people have had the same problem. It's not pleasant. Gluten also makes me anxious and nervous. It affects a lot of things.

A lot of people harass the gluten free lifestyle, I'm it got popular because now I have more food options to choose from. The "fad" has actually made my life easier.

not gonna lie. I'm jealous.
The 2 foods I am intolerant to are added to everything at large.
Despite not being wheat intolerant, I cannot eat any wheat products, less white pasta, because the other at least 1 of the 2 foods I am intolerant to is added to all other wheat products.

I cook all my food from scratch, or deal with the consequences afterwards.

Still, I am thankful for not having food anaphylaxis, especially to things like dairy, which is gets involved in cross-contamination very frequently.
Also thankful I didn't get PKU or hereditary fructose intolerance.

In the end, this probably makes you more healthy.

Sparkly Genius

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Team Edward 100
butter in coffee
Lunnietic
butter in coffee
overweight/obese

yeah, but if your body is attacking stuff in your intestines, you don't absorb anything, which is why you get skinny from food intolerances.

This is not necessarily true. It depends on what you have issues with, how severe it is, and how your body reacts to it. I am gluten and lactose intolerant. I didn't know this till last year when I decided to do an elimination diet. The way my body reacted wasn't how you keep preaching that people's should. No body is the same. I have been over weight most of my teenage and adult life.

Once I cut out the gluten I started losing weight and I felt better. When I said eff it and had gluten, I would get super bloated and constipated. So what you expect the body to be like with these problems doesnt always hold true. Yeah of course there are those who are underweight because of their problems, but that isn't everyone.

Noob

cant absorb anything? gluten intolerant people would be dead if what you say is true, they have to be able to digest the food they eat to some extent. and if they are nutrient deprived because they cant metabolize their food properly, then what they can absorb will be stored in fat because the body will think theres little food around. not everyone reacts the same to intolerance's, so to claim that theyre not absorbing anything at all is pretty big claim. that's why it's classified as an "intolerance" because it has such a wide spectrum of differences in the way people react to it. if it were more specific, more common symptoms among gluten intolerant people, it would have another name. autism is a spectrum disorder, but they have different classes for autism. high funtioning, low functioning, aspergers, savant, idk what else. perhaps it would be a good idea to come up with classifications for gluten intolerant people.

dont worry about people "taking over the thread" this is a place for discussion on the topic. ofc people will contest your claims, theyre not being mean, or "taking over" anything. the thread is still about gluten intolerance. that's what youre talking about, that's what theyre talking about, everyone knows what's up.

hey that's fascinating, i'd like to see the study that claims it's the carbs in wheat and not the gluten that people are sensitive to. could you link that for me?

Frozen Fairy

S31D1
cant absorb anything? gluten intolerant people would be dead if what you say is true, they have to be able to digest the food they eat to some extent. and if they are nutrient deprived because they cant metabolize their food properly, then what they can absorb will be stored in fat because the body will think theres little food around. not everyone reacts the same to intolerance's, so to claim that theyre not absorbing anything at all is pretty big claim. that's why it's classified as an "intolerance" because it has such a wide spectrum of differences in the way people react to it. if it were more specific, more common symptoms among gluten intolerant people, it would have another name. autism is a spectrum disorder, but they have different classes for autism. high funtioning, low functioning, aspergers, savant, idk what else. perhaps it would be a good idea to come up with classifications for gluten intolerant people.

dont worry about people "taking over the thread" this is a place for discussion on the topic. ofc people will contest your claims, theyre not being mean, or "taking over" anything. the thread is still about gluten intolerance. that's what youre talking about, that's what theyre talking about, everyone knows what's up.

hey that's fascinating, i'd like to see the study that claims it's the carbs in wheat and not the gluten that people are sensitive to. could you link that for me?

failure to thrive is a common symptom of food intolerances
you absorb significantly less. worst is when you stop absorbing zinc, because then you can't eat and can get anorexia. it's also common to stop absorbing tryptophan and phenylalanine, which explains the major major major increase in people suffering from depression and other mental disorders.
because of our high sugar/fructose diets, more and more people are becoming intolerant to sugar(and the fibre in wheat). A frappuccino at Starbucks has 300% of the WHO's recommended daily sugar intake.
Agave and coconut water are pure fructose, and they're being advertised as health foods. They're terrible for you.

Also, here are the studies I think Butter In Coffee is talking about. (There are also a bunch out now how removing fat from the diet was the worst thing that ever happened to America)
link
link
link
link

The Low FODMAPs diet, btw, is much much more restrictive than the gluten-free diet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff