Welcome to Gaia! ::

overweight/obese

When you have a food intolerance, eating the food that you are intolerant causes digestive distress like diarrhea and whatnot, and affects the absorption of nutrients.
One of the most visible symptoms of undiagnosed food intolerance is being underweight.
So when you go 20 years eating wheat, and then you test postitive for Celiac and you are fat, I can't believe it.
If you're one of those 90-100 pound 22 year-olds telling me you just found out you have Celiac or Fructmal or whatnot, then I have an easier time believing it.

Also, new studies show, most Celiacs don't have Celiac, but a sensitivity to the carbohydrates in wheat.
I kind of felt the same thing when researching it, but to be fair there is always a small percentage of people that have atypical symptoms. I also thought maybe people exhibit some of the symptoms but don't actually have it simply because wheat is inflammatory, so it can cause joint pain and stomach problems in some, especially if you are already overweight.
winter_sage
I kind of felt the same thing when researching it, but to be fair there is always a small percentage of people that have atypical symptoms. I also thought maybe people exhibit some of the symptoms but don't actually have it simply because wheat is inflammatory, so it can cause joint pain and stomach problems in some, especially if you are already overweight.

everyone gets that from wheat. that's not a disorder. that's your body telling you to stop eating garbage
I don't have Celiac, but I am gluten intolerant. I was overweight and eventually borderline obese through all of my teen years. Within 1.5 years of being diagnosed and cutting out gluten, I was a normal weight. And now I'm a 90-100 pound 22 year old. ^^

My weight loss was not entirely because I stopped eating gluten, but I strongly feel that my gluten intolerance was a big reason why I became overweight in the first place. I've never been a super unhealthy eater - for example, I hate chips and have never even tasted Coke or Pepsi - so knowing my habits then, knowing more about healthy eating now, and having maintained a low weight for over a year now, this is how I feel. I would have never been as heavy as I was if I hadn't had a budding gluten problem for years.

For me, instead of getting diarrhea, I got the opposite. I think my body, being unable to process most of the food I ate, just kind of ... stopped. As opposed to digestive distress, my main symptom was severe pain radiating through my entire body.

So, maybe it's weird or unbelievable, but that's how it was for me.
Nikias Kicxette
I don't have Celiac, but I am gluten intolerant. I was overweight and eventually borderline obese through all of my teen years. Within 1.5 years of being diagnosed and cutting out gluten, I was a normal weight. And now I'm a 90-100 pound 22 year old. ^^

My weight loss was not entirely because I stopped eating gluten, but I strongly feel that my gluten intolerance was a big reason why I became overweight in the first place. I've never been a super unhealthy eater - for example, I hate chips and have never even tasted Coke or Pepsi - so knowing my habits then, knowing more about healthy eating now, and having maintained a low weight for over a year now, this is how I feel. I would have never been as heavy as I was if I hadn't had a budding gluten problem for years.

For me, instead of getting diarrhea, I got the opposite. I think my body, being unable to process most of the food I ate, just kind of ... stopped. As opposed to digestive distress, my main symptom was severe pain radiating through my entire body.

So, maybe it's weird or unbelievable, but that's how it was for me.

Apparently gluten intolerance doesn't even exist.
People are actually intolerant to the carbs in wheat, not the protein.

Your username makes me think of the Bulletproof Coffee for the Ketogenic Diet, haha.

I thought that having celiac and gluten intolerance was different. Celiac being a lot more severe.
butter in coffee

Interesting. It could be true. It would certainly be easy to test. It would be so easy to test that if it were true, the vast majority of researchers would have picked up on it way back when they were trying to figure out what caused the symptoms, and we never would've called it gluten intolerance for all this time. But correct or not, either way I still can't eat wheat. *shrug*

@StrawberryChip - Yeah, gluten intolerance is basically a less severe version of Celiac. Celiac disease causes physical damage, especially to the villi in your intestines. Gluten intolerance doesn't seem to (though I'm sure if you ate a lot of wheat products despite the intolerance, eventually you'd cause damage), and with just intolerance, it's possible the person could eat a little bit of wheat and not react to it. Like for me, I go to Starbucks a lot. Apparently some of their flavored syrups contain wheat. I've never had a problem with their drinks, but I've seen on Celiac blogs that some Celiac sufferers can't drink Starbucks' drinks because they react to whatever trace amount of wheat is in there.
Nikias Kicxette
butter in coffee

Interesting. It could be true. It would certainly be easy to test. It would be so easy to test that if it were true, the vast majority of researchers would have picked up on it way back when they were trying to figure out what caused the symptoms, and we never would've called it gluten intolerance for all this time. But correct or not, either way I still can't eat wheat. *shrug*

@StrawberryChip - Yeah, gluten intolerance is basically a less severe version of Celiac. Celiac disease causes physical damage, especially to the villi in your intestines. Gluten intolerance doesn't seem to (though I'm sure if you ate a lot of wheat products despite the intolerance, eventually you'd cause damage), and with just intolerance, it's possible the person could eat a little bit of wheat and not react to it. Like for me, I go to Starbucks a lot. Apparently some of their flavored syrups contain wheat. I've never had a problem with their drinks, but I've seen on Celiac blogs that some Celiac sufferers can't drink Starbucks' drinks because they react to whatever trace amount of wheat is in there.

the study just came out.
and it wouldn't be easy to test.
food intolerance tests just show you are having an intolerance to something.
so if all you ate was wheat, it's hard to tell what part of the wheat you're intolerant to.

it's common with lactose intolerance tests, because some people are actually intolerant to the protein in milk, not the sugar, but you can't tell with the test.
only way you know is if lactose-free dairy products like cheese and yogurt make you sick.
StrawberrryChip
I thought that having celiac and gluten intolerance was different. Celiac being a lot more severe.

it is. unfortunately the gluten intolerant decided to take over this thread.
butter in coffee
StrawberrryChip

And the people on gluten free diets. Boy to they tickle my pickle..
StrawberrryChip
butter in coffee
StrawberrryChip

What annoys me about gluten-free diets(with the exception of low carb, keto, paleo diets) is that people think they're eating healthy because no gluten, but then all they're eating is the gluten-free version of the crap they were eating before. It's the carbs and sugar in cake that make it unhealthy, not the gluten.
Also, if you live just off wheat, of course you're going to be sick 24/7. It's not proper food.
butter in coffee
StrawberrryChip
butter in coffee
StrawberrryChip

What annoys me about gluten-free diets(with the exception of low carb, keto, paleo diets) is that people think they're eating healthy because no gluten, but then all they're eating is the gluten-free version of the crap they were eating before. It's the carbs and sugar in cake that make it unhealthy, not the gluten.
Also, if you live just off wheat, of course you're going to be sick 24/7. It's not proper food.
Exactly!!

Fashionable Prophet

My gluten problem actually caused me to gain weight. When I stopped eating it I lost weight rather quickly and everyone freaked out because they thought I had an eating disorder (i didn't lol).

My lifestyle before then was healthy too. I exercised a lot and ate healthy things like whole wheat stuff (oh the irony).

My digestive tract is very sensitive and whenever I have foods I can't handle I notice my weight increases too. I'm not sure why, but I've heard other a few people have had the same problem. It's not pleasant. Gluten also makes me anxious and nervous. It affects a lot of things.

A lot of people harass the gluten free lifestyle, I'm it got popular because now I have more food options to choose from. The "fad" has actually made my life easier.
Ghostfrost
My gluten problem actually caused me to gain weight. When I stopped eating it I lost weight rather quickly and everyone freaked out because they thought I had an eating disorder (i didn't lol).

My lifestyle before then was healthy too. I exercised a lot and ate healthy things like whole wheat stuff (oh the irony).

My digestive tract is very sensitive and whenever I have foods I can't handle I notice my weight increases too. I'm not sure why, but I've heard other a few people have had the same problem. It's not pleasant. Gluten also makes me anxious and nervous. It affects a lot of things.

A lot of people harass the gluten free lifestyle, I'm it got popular because now I have more food options to choose from. The "fad" has actually made my life easier.

not gonna lie. I'm jealous.
The 2 foods I am intolerant to are added to everything at large.
Despite not being wheat intolerant, I cannot eat any wheat products, less white pasta, because the other at least 1 of the 2 foods I am intolerant to is added to all other wheat products.

I cook all my food from scratch, or deal with the consequences afterwards.

Still, I am thankful for not having food anaphylaxis, especially to things like dairy, which is gets involved in cross-contamination very frequently.
Also thankful I didn't get PKU or hereditary fructose intolerance.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff