Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Fatcat

I have a 24oz bottle, how many times should I refill and drink it? Sorry I'm dumb at metrics and math

Naughty Bunny

You need to drink between 2,000 to 2,500ml of water a day. This equals out to about 68 - 85 oz.

Refilling your bottle about 3 times would be perfectly sufficient. : >
I literally just keep drinking water, I think I over drink my daily dosage of water xD

Divine Zealot

Honestly, I just drink to thirst. Unless your entire diet is like, crackers, chips, and other dry foods, your solid foods provide water as well.

Original Shoujo

Poe-Sensei
Honestly, I just drink to thirst. Unless your entire diet is like, crackers, chips, and other dry foods, your solid foods provide water as well.

Bad advice. If I followed your advice I'd be dead in few days. I'm physically unable to feel thirst since birth. I'm not the only one, not even on Gaia (I made a thread and was surprised myself)
I'm often dehydrated because I simply forget to drink.
Even the people who can feel thirst don't necessarily feel it normally. They might overestimate or underestimate what their body is telling them.
Please don't give bad advice.
Here's my advice: unless you have a heart condition, or drink more than 2.5 gallons a day or more than half a gallon within the same 2 hour period, you can't drink too much. You should eat enough though. The more you drink the more important it is that you get salts from your diet. Not just table salt (sodium) but also potassium (banana, kale, spinach) and calcium (milk products and I think certain sea animals? Look it up)

Divine Zealot

Love Is Cruel Kindness
Poe-Sensei

Bad advice. If I followed your advice I'd be dead in few days. I'm physically unable to feel thirst since birth. I'm not the only one, not even on Gaia (I made a thread and was surprised myself)
I'm often dehydrated because I simply forget to drink.
Even the people who can feel thirst don't necessarily feel it normally. They might overestimate or underestimate what their body is telling them.
Please don't give bad advice.
Here's my advice: unless you have a heart condition, or drink more than 2.5 gallons a day or more than half a gallon within the same 2 hour period, you can't drink too much. You should eat enough though. The more you drink the more important it is that you get salts from your diet. Not just table salt (sodium) but also potassium (banana, kale, spinach) and calcium (milk products and I think certain sea animals? Look it up)

Why would my advice for drinking to thirst work with someone incapable of feeling it? You are an exception, not the rule, and a minority at best.

There are plenty of sources suggesting that water intake can be adjusted by thirst.
NPR
Smithsonian Magazine
Runner's World
Mark's Daily Apple

But sure, let's talk amounts of fluid, then.

The Mayo Clinic and Web MD recommend roughly 9-11 cups for women, and 13-15 for men. Average sweat per hour tends to cap out at 2-4 liters an hour. This article from Men's Fitness recommends drinking roughly 7-10 oz of water every 20 minutes of exercising. One of the links above even touched on something I mentioned in my last post, that water needs are covered by about 20% from our dietary intake.

The sedentary can pull off about 4-8 cups of water a day, more if their diet is crap. That's pretty much one glass with every meal, and another before bed / after waking up. This can also be the case for rest days. Recommended activity usually tends toward an hour a day. With a sweat loss of roughly 2-4 liters of water, this leaves men in the upper levels of about 2 gallons of water, and women in the area of about one and 3/4 gallons. This is, of course, assuming one actually sweats a gallon of water. But then we come to another problem, just how much are we sweating, really? People who run for an hour usually do so in cooler times of the day, such as the morning or evening. Gyms are usually well air-conditioned. People who work out in their home usually have an AC running as well, or at least a window open for a breeze. The water levels I mentioned above are, likely, higher than necessary by a quart or two, possibly aligning with the roughly a cup of water every 20 minutes recommendation from the Men's Fitness site.

Worrying too much over the exact amount of water I need at a given time is bordering on paranoid. It's like measuring how much butter you're going to toss into the pan before frying an egg so you can make sure of the calories. For the vast majority of us with a properly working thirst mechanic, drinking to thirst works just fine. Those who reach the dehydration point are usually too worked up in whatever it is they're doing to actually do something to notice they're thirsty in the first place, such as athletes or gamers. Otherwise, the numbers above should work just fine, and only really need to be gone over by those who workout longer than an hour, athletes, people in manual labor who tend to work outside (comparing a construction worker to someone who puts stock away in a well air-conditioned super-market here) or people with varying conditions which forces them to excrete water more often.

If anything, I find many people drink too much water, and that while their habits may not be in the over-hydration lane, it's still landing quite neatly into the land of diminishing returns.

Original Shoujo

Poe-Se
e63wz5mo:0="Poe-Sensei]

The amounts you quoted are fine.the rest...

most people in the western world are overweight. Most, as in over fifty percent.
Most people aren't capable of distinguishing between thirst and hunger and eat when they're thirsty (you seem good with links so please look it up yourself)
And this is part of the reason they overeat. Too much salt in diet,
More thirst that gets mistaken for hunger and overeating.that's the mechanism.
The other big reason is overeating carbs which has been unnatural for the past idk two hundred thousand years. It's just agricultural marketing with nothing scientific/medical behind it.
Anyway.
You're either over hydrated or overweight.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single person in the entire world who is both.
Sure, fat people have fluid retention...because of dehydration.
A properly hydrated body retains zero fluids. You excrete exactly as much as you drink every day.
I know because I've had periods where I made sure I drink enough (for me it involves math and a pen and paper and post it notes none of which is paranoid for me. But like you said, I'm a special case.
During that time I drank 1.5 gallons every day. At 120 lbs I might add.
I never felt better in my life.
I was never tired and I had so much every to do everything and I was so active
And generally just felt great.
If that's over hydration I think everyone should be over hydrated.
By the way,I drank pure water and not sodas.there's a HUGE difference.
I wish I could be bothered with keeping up vote much I drink every day now.
It's just so hard. So I'm often tired and dehydrated and it sux.

Ruthless Poster

I follow this rule of thumb:

your weight divided by 2 equals the oz of water you should drink, so just add together with your water bottle.

For example, my water bottle holds 32 oz, I finish it off at least three times 32+32+32= 96, that's more than I need but it works for me since going over isn't such a bad thing.

But if you're like me and hearing someone say "just never stop drinking water!" makes you feel nauseous, then follow my rule. =]

Fashionable Phantom

Since it's different for everybody, pee colour is a good rule of thumb.

If your pee is clear to light yellow, then you're probably drinking enough water. If it's mid-dark yellow, you should be drinking more.

If your pee is any other colour, consult this list of random causes, and determine if you should see a doctor. c:

EDIT: Oh and, I'm not trolling, this is a relatively accurate way to tell if you're drinking enough, without having to deal with numbers.

Other factors come into play as well, such as lowered/raised activity level, you'd have to compensate, etc...

but it's really pretty basic.

Divine Zealot

Love Is Cruel Kindness
The amounts you quoted are fine.the rest...

most people in the western world are overweight. Most, as in over fifty percent.
Most people aren't capable of distinguishing between thirst and hunger and eat when they're thirsty (you seem good with links so please look it up yourself)
And this is part of the reason they overeat. Too much salt in diet,
More thirst that gets mistaken for hunger and overeating.that's the mechanism.
The other big reason is overeating carbs which has been unnatural for the past idk two hundred thousand years. It's just agricultural marketing with nothing scientific/medical behind it.
Anyway.
You're either over hydrated or overweight.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single person in the entire world who is both.
Sure, fat people have fluid retention...because of dehydration.
A properly hydrated body retains zero fluids. You excrete exactly as much as you drink every day.
I know because I've had periods where I made sure I drink enough (for me it involves math and a pen and paper and post it notes none of which is paranoid for me. But like you said, I'm a special case.
During that time I drank 1.5 gallons every day. At 120 lbs I might add.
I never felt better in my life.
I was never tired and I had so much every to do everything and I was so active
And generally just felt great.
If that's over hydration I think everyone should be over hydrated.
By the way,I drank pure water and not sodas.there's a HUGE difference.
I wish I could be bothered with keeping up vote much I drink every day now.
It's just so hard. So I'm often tired and dehydrated and it sux.

Interesting. I wasn't alerted to this. Huh.

In any case.

1. Water intake does not help significantly with weight. Water intake is a reflection of activity level, something that obese people tend to have low amounts of. And I seriously doubt that misplacing thirst for hunger isn't all that significant either. Foods that are frequently consumed by obese people are on the higher calorie scale. Add in a slowly increasing appetite (due to increased BMR from obesity), and voila, you build up to ending up 300 lbs over the course of years. The important part to note that you mentioned is too much salt, which is a reflection of a heavily processed diet.

I don't buy it.

2. What does carbohydrate consumption have to do with anything in this scenario, outside of water being retained for the purpose of glycogen storage?

3. You were adequately hydrated, not over-hydrated. Over-hydrating has no benefit. It's like adding a gallon of water to the bath tub You won't really notice much of a difference.

Wealthy Hoarder

If you have 24 oz bottle all you need is about three of those filled up. It may seem like a lot but really isn't.

I am one of those people who need to remember to drink and thus, I trained myself to simply drink water.

It got to the point now, that I know when I haven't drank enough water at all. Dry mouth and the works.

Honestly, everyone is different so, test it out. If you feel "full" on water than you don't need anymore.

Really, when you use the restroom and you urinate is very pale yellow (to nearly white) you got enough water in you. More won't hurt though.
Instead, think about how much you weigh and divide that number in half. That's how many ounces of water you should drink per day. For instance, a person who is 200 pounds, should drink 100 oz. of water per day to be adequately hydrated.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff