Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Capitalist

8,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
I have a cold.
(Bleh)
Are there any home/organic remedies that can help.
I make it a habit not to take too many medicines.
(Don't want to damage my liver with something like cough syrup, I want to save it for when I really need to take medication for a severe illness.)

Eloquent Elocutionist

14,350 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
homemade chicken noodle. Tea. I smoke weed for my colds. that's just me, though. Also, steam.

Fashionable Capitalist

8,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
TheAnachronist
homemade chicken noodle. Tea. I smoke weed for my colds. that's just me, though. Also, steam.

I'm a green tea addict and I don fancy homemade chicken noodle soup so I guess I'm on the right track. Does smoking weed really help with colds? I know that it helps with pain and all but I've never heard of it being used for colds.

Guess it's a hot shower for me tonight.

Shy Explorer

3,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
my sister had a bad cold and was losing her voice i made her a special tea with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and a heaped table spoon of honey and a small slice of ginger (dried ginger will work to) in boiling water, if to sweet add more lemon if to sour add more honey both lemon and honey have anti bacterial properties also it will help you breath through your nose better while you drink it.
the ginger also helps sooth the stomach and clear your nose its all good for your immune system.

my sister took the tea 3 times a day for 2 days and her sickness was gone, she said she felt like she was getting better on her second cup because her throte wasnt as sore.

i also make this when i run out of lose tea or tea bags razz it's good as long as you add to suit your taste.

Steadfast Guardian

17,250 Points
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
Sadly, there is no cure for the common cold. The body will eventually get rid of the virus it just takes time. There are several things you can do to help reduce the severity of it. As it was said before drinking tea with honey and eating chicken noodle soup is good.

You should also consider taking Vitamin C as it helps boosts your immune system. You should also drink lots and lots of water to help flush out your system.

Something else you can use is using essential oils. Lavender and Eucalyptus are some really good essential oils to use during a cold, and they are relatively common and inexpensive compared to other essential oils. You'll want to buy 100% USDA organic or 100% Therapeutic grade essential oils, don't use that stuff from Bath & Body because it's just watered down with chemicals (yuck). If you don't have a diffuser you could use a pot of boiling water and add some drops of the oils in there.

Fashionable Capitalist

8,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
AutumnViolet
my sister had a bad cold and was losing her voice i made her a special tea with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and a heaped table spoon of honey and a small slice of ginger (dried ginger will work to) in boiling water, if to sweet add more lemon if to sour add more honey both lemon and honey have anti bacterial properties also it will help you breath through your nose better while you drink it.
the ginger also helps sooth the stomach and clear your nose its all good for your immune system.

my sister took the tea 3 times a day for 2 days and her sickness was gone, she said she felt like she was getting better on her second cup because her throte wasnt as sore.

i also make this when i run out of lose tea or tea bags razz it's good as long as you add to suit your taste.

Thanks! I'll try it. It also sounds tasty. Thanks!

Fashionable Capitalist

8,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Guardian Arlen
Sadly, there is no cure for the common cold. The body will eventually get rid of the virus it just takes time. There are several things you can do to help reduce the severity of it. As it was said before drinking tea with honey and eating chicken noodle soup is good.

You should also consider taking Vitamin C as it helps boosts your immune system. You should also drink lots and lots of water to help flush out your system.

Something else you can use is using essential oils. Lavender and Eucalyptus are some really good essential oils to use during a cold, and they are relatively common and inexpensive compared to other essential oils. You'll want to buy 100% USDA organic or 100% Therapeutic grade essential oils, don't use that stuff from Bath & Body because it's just watered down with chemicals (yuck). If you don't have a diffuser you could use a pot of boiling water and add some drops of the oils in there.

I've been drinking lots of water which is probably why I haven't gotten extremely sick, so that's a good thing. I'll probably try the pot of boiling water, thanks for the advice smile

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
AutumnViolet

I second this suggestion coming from a Chinese background and having lived in the jungles without access to medical care or even meds. whee Chicken soup has been found to be beneficial as well as cuddles. You can't cure a cold but alleviate its symptoms unless you get an infection.
If your nose is blocked, you can also try a netti pot to clean it out.

Can't find the citation for cuddles but here it is for chicken soup: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/976348.stm
I base my treatment around what my symptoms are. If it's just a runny nose, I'll blow my nose a lot (never sniffle!) and rinse out my nose every few hours in the bathroom. If I have a sore throat or stuffy nose, I'll drink a few cups of plain Earl Grey or Chamomile tea.

Diet is also important in healing faster. Avoid sugar and dairy as much as possible, and increase your vitamin C intake. You could also try a short fast as fasting has been shown to increase autophagy (i.e. get rid of unhealthy cells). There are a lot of methods you can try, these are just some of my favorites.

Fashionable Capitalist

8,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Dominatrix LaDeaux
I base my treatment around what my symptoms are. If it's just a runny nose, I'll blow my nose a lot (never sniffle!) and rinse out my nose every few hours in the bathroom. If I have a sore throat or stuffy nose, I'll drink a few cups of plain Earl Grey or Chamomile tea.

Diet is also important in healing faster. Avoid sugar and dairy as much as possible, and increase your vitamin C intake. You could also try a short fast as fasting has been shown to increase autophagy (i.e. get rid of unhealthy cells). There are a lot of methods you can try, these are just some of my favorites.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Fashionable Capitalist

8,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
geminikitten
AutumnViolet

I second this suggestion coming from a Chinese background and having lived in the jungles without access to medical care or even meds. whee Chicken soup has been found to be beneficial as well as cuddles. You can't cure a cold but alleviate its symptoms unless you get an infection.
If your nose is blocked, you can also try a netti pot to clean it out.

Can't find the citation for cuddles but here it is for chicken soup: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/976348.stm

Hehe I like your cuddles suggestion blaugh
echinacea tea!

Fashionable Capitalist

8,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
deeluxe
echinacea tea!

I'll try it.
Fresh ginger tea with honey and lemon. Great for colds and sore throats.
i've always found that drinking a lot of water always makes me feel better when i have a cold. once you start getting dehydrated you feel loads worse.

i've also been known to walk around the house with toilet paper wads stuffed up my nose, so please, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff