Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Human

` Shyado
Bellyaches Method
` Shyado
Bellyaches Method
` Shyado
- corn IS a vegetable..... sweatdrop
Apparently the new think is that it's a grain. My mother and I just got into an hour long debate over this. Her last comment was "Well how can they make corn bread if it's not a grain? You can't make bread without grains!!!" emotion_facepalm
...anything with the right enough gluten, protein and carbohydrate content can make bread; this includes a HUGE breadth of plant matter, from buckwheat, to barley, to corn, etc. it depends heavily on the variation of added ingredients that determine the kind of bread made. it is also possible that corn can be both.
I know that. But you go try to argue that with my mother and see how far you get.
...well, why argue with her? it's not like you have to always win the argument. if you know the facts, then you know the facts confused
You know, after 22 years you'd think I'd learn not to do it, but I just can't help it. She has some seriously ridiculous ideas about food and since she knows I'm dieting she can't help butting in and share her silly views with me. There's only so long you can listen to someone ranting about the subsidization of the corn industry and how it's responsible for everything ever. I correct her because I'm worried about her health. Last I knew, she was living off hummus and chips and diet coke. I'm trying to get her to eat.

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Miss_Little_demon
Your parents can't run away from scientifically proven facts

People do though, surprisingly often. It's depressing. OP should still try your idea but be aware her parents may claimt here are problems with the studies or facts.

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
` Shyado
- corn IS a vegetable..... sweatdrop

Nope. Its not. Its a starchy grain. And definitely NOT good for humans. We did not evolve to eat CORN. This is a neolithic concept that we have fallen into because growing corn was so easy after the Agricultural revolution.

` Shyado
and finally, remember that YOU moved in with THEM.

Yes, I realize this. And its wonderful that they invited me. But they actually LED me to believe that they lived healthy lifestyles by the times I visited - and our phone conversations. They pretended to live/eat healthy and maintain an active lifestyle.

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
helsingin vappu
Try suggesting that they use plastic/metal/other non-porous utensils, or buy them some under the ruse of it being a birthday or anniversary gift. Maybe that will be relatively easy to change since it wouldn't involve their actual food preferences or cooking style. Make sure the cutting board (if they own one) is a non-porous material, as well.

And you live with them, so why not offer to clean every once in a while? I'm sure they'd appreciate it as much as you do.

Also, I would like to point out that your body requires sodium to maintain homeostasis. The two semesters I've just spent in university-level Anatomy and Physiology have been hellish, but I do know that sodium plays an important role in maintaining osmotic equilibrium, the functioning of the kidneys to produce renin and urine, blood volume... Especially if you work out as much as it sounds like, you're going to lose a lot of your sodium through sweat, and you need to replace essential electrolytes.

A ton of added sodium in preserved foods is bad, yes, and you do get some of it naturally, but you can't cut it out altogether. The CDC recommends an intake of 1,500 mg per day.

This is all true. Sounds like you really know your stuff. =) I am sure you also know that just by living in the modern world, we are intaking a great amount of salt. Far far more than our bodies were ever designed to. Its in EVERYTHING. Even if you buy foods in the organic isle or from an all natural food store. Salt is everywhere.

If you were to avoid putting salt in everything you ate all day, and didn't eat anything from a can, you would probably still end up consuming more than you should. And that's scary.
IX Odysseia IX
If you were to avoid putting salt in everything you ate all day, and didn't eat anything from a can, you would probably still end up consuming more than you should. And that's scary.

This isn't necessarily true. I can easily eat one day's worth of food and not have enough sodium if I avoid processed foods. My typical breakfast has 500+ calories and only contains 140mg of sodium!

However, it's obviously possible to live a lifestyle in which you eat all natural without added sodium and sweat a lot; the hunter-gathers in Africa manage to do that. The foods they eat must contain more sodium than what I eat for breakfast...

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
keiiii
IX Odysseia IX

This isn't necessarily true. I can easily eat one day's worth of food and not have enough sodium if I avoid processed foods. My typical breakfast has 500+ calories and only contains 140mg of sodium!

However, it's obviously possible to live a lifestyle in which you eat all natural without added sodium and sweat a lot; the hunter-gathers in Africa manage to do that. The foods they eat must contain more sodium than what I eat for breakfast...

Edit: I meant if you ate the processed foods that most americans eat daily - and didnt eat from a can and didnt add salt you may still end up with more. My mistake for not clarifying.

Not saying salt is bad... I'm just saying the Neolithic lifestyle has 10x more than we should consume. And canned foods is probably the first thing to avoid. wink
But sounds like you know this.

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
User ImageUser Image

►►I keep hearing suggestions like "mention it gradually" and "try to bring up the facts".

Well I have certainly been listening to your suggestions.

So far: My dad gladly accepted the email with a link to foodsafety.gov and they've been less irritated with me cleaning the kitchen and the silverware drawers (where the bits of old food lived).

Hopefully soon they will stop asking me sarcastically if I can eat the meat they are cooking due to my "diet". Even though I've explained I'm just cutting out processed foods and starches.◄◄

[I know what Im doing. I have it all planned outplans to take care of you, not abandon you,
plans to give you the future you hope for.]
-Jeremiah 29:11

Wheezing Fatcat

IX Odysseia IX
helsingin vappu
Try suggesting that they use plastic/metal/other non-porous utensils, or buy them some under the ruse of it being a birthday or anniversary gift. Maybe that will be relatively easy to change since it wouldn't involve their actual food preferences or cooking style. Make sure the cutting board (if they own one) is a non-porous material, as well.

And you live with them, so why not offer to clean every once in a while? I'm sure they'd appreciate it as much as you do.

Also, I would like to point out that your body requires sodium to maintain homeostasis. The two semesters I've just spent in university-level Anatomy and Physiology have been hellish, but I do know that sodium plays an important role in maintaining osmotic equilibrium, the functioning of the kidneys to produce renin and urine, blood volume... Especially if you work out as much as it sounds like, you're going to lose a lot of your sodium through sweat, and you need to replace essential electrolytes.

A ton of added sodium in preserved foods is bad, yes, and you do get some of it naturally, but you can't cut it out altogether. The CDC recommends an intake of 1,500 mg per day.

This is all true. Sounds like you really know your stuff. =) I am sure you also know that just by living in the modern world, we are intaking a great amount of salt. Far far more than our bodies were ever designed to. Its in EVERYTHING. Even if you buy foods in the organic isle or from an all natural food store. Salt is everywhere.

Thanks! I'm actually a health major, so yes, I definitely know about this kind of thing.

You're absolutely right about salt being a preservative found in almost everything, but it sounds like you eat a lot of non-processed foods. Your meats and proteins are probably going to be your biggest source of salt in your case, but you should still make sure you're getting enough sodium to stay healthy. Sodium levels that are too low can cause nausea/vomiting, muscle weakness, spasms, cramps, seizures and lethargy.

I'm not sure how long you've been on your diet, but it sounds like you're doing okay with sodium intake or you would have noticed by now.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces