Welcome to Gaia! ::

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Worst thing is they THINK they're healthy. Here's the comparison.

ME :

+Just Started the Primal Paleo Diet - veggies, meat, fruit, nuts, gatherers dies - no starch, no preservatives, no sodium, no grains.
+Work out every day. jogging, cycling, calesthetics, swimming or yoga/stretching
+Follow the health code in the kitchen to the LETTER
+Don't use heavy bleach based cleaners -all natural.
+Love plants to refresh air indoors

DAD & STEPMOM:

+Everything they eat is frozen/canned/preserved and has upwards of 600 gms sodium
+They go to the store and come back with donuts
+They go on walks maybe once a week for 2 miles tops
+5 day old RAW chicken is STILL in the fridge and GOING to be cooked O.O
+Wooden utensils put in dishwasher AND used to cook MEAT
+Nothing but bleach cleaners and chemicals in this house
+Had to fight to keep a cactus in my room
+They consider CORN a vegetable and its kept in the freezer.
+Fridge contained no veggies til I go to the store.

And every day I try to bring up ANYTHING about my lifestyle they start going on about how healthy they eat and live and argue with me when I try to tell them what they are doing isn't even SAFE let alone healthy.
OMG SAVE ME.

Unbeatable Survivor

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
Give it to them in writing.
They can't cut you off in writing and they have to read the whole thing.
And don't be next to them when they read it.

Give them what you just posted.
About you then them, tell em' to compare and tell em' they are UNHEALTHY AS ********.

Bashful Bloodsucker

I would suggest backing up your information with facts. Your parents can't run away from scientifically proven facts. And get that chicken in the freezer! It shouldn't be in the fridge unless it will be used within 2 days.

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Miss_Little_demon
I would suggest backing up your information with facts. Your parents can't run away from scientifically proven facts. And get that chicken in the freezer! It shouldn't be in the fridge unless it will be used within 2 days.

User ImageUser Image
~*~* ~**~

►►Forget the freezer, how about the TRASH?

And it becomes hard because my dad has only been married to this woman 5 years. Questioning what she does in HER kitchen is only going to make her major pissed. =( But its not like I can eat this food they cook that could have saminela and who knows what else◄◄

[I know what Im doing. I have it all planned outplans to take care of you, not abandon you,
plans to give you the future you hope for.]
-Jeremiah 29:11
Make them watch supersize me or food inc.

Bashful Bloodsucker

IX Odysseia IX

►►Forget the freezer, how about the TRASH?

And it becomes hard because my dad has only been married to this woman 5 years. Questioning what she does in HER kitchen is only going to make her major pissed. =( But its not like I can eat this food they cook that could have saminela and who knows what else◄◄

I get what you mean. I took a food safety course this semester and now I really think about my food temperatures and try not to cross contaminate. That class basically scares the crap out of you so you wouldn't kill people from food poisoning.
- the chicken thing is gross. holy crap.
- *salmonella (weird latin spelling :B )

In their defense:
- frozen/ canned goods aren't necessarily bad; it depends on what they're stored in and how they were processed. generally speaking, frozen/ canned food is packaged during peak ripeness because they won't sell fresh before they go bad. (maybe get them to buy healthier alternatives instead of what they currently purchase.)

- corn IS a vegetable..... sweatdrop

- at least they go on walks. it's something, and it's certainly better than nothing.

- depending on how the dishwasher works, it may not be so bad that the wooden utensils are in there. most dishwashers these days have a high enough heat setting so that it will sanitize just about anything if it's on the right setting.

and finally, remember that YOU moved in with THEM. as much as it sucks, sounds like you're really freaking out and trying to suddenly upstage your stepmom's lifestyle. i can definitely understand why, but changing the way someone lives is difficult, even for someone who wants to change themselves. talk to her calmly about it, and don't be confrontational - people have immune systems for a reason, and nobody's died. the change needs to be gradual, so think of a way you can do that; maybe change one habit a week or something. make sure to tell them it's a way to improve and make their lives healthier; nobody likes to hear that they're living a disaster.
i do agree with you, but i would like to point out that 1) corn is a vegetable.... and 2) a little bit of salt, in moderation, is needed. just so long as its taken in moderation. a lot of moderation...

also, just buy your own food, and eat that...

Wheezing Fatcat

Try suggesting that they use plastic/metal/other non-porous utensils, or buy them some under the ruse of it being a birthday or anniversary gift. Maybe that will be relatively easy to change since it wouldn't involve their actual food preferences or cooking style. Make sure the cutting board (if they own one) is a non-porous material, as well.

And you live with them, so why not offer to clean every once in a while? I'm sure they'd appreciate it as much as you do.

Also, I would like to point out that your body requires sodium to maintain homeostasis. The two semesters I've just spent in university-level Anatomy and Physiology have been hellish, but I do know that sodium plays an important role in maintaining osmotic equilibrium, the functioning of the kidneys to produce renin and urine, blood volume... Especially if you work out as much as it sounds like, you're going to lose a lot of your sodium through sweat, and you need to replace essential electrolytes.

A ton of added sodium in preserved foods is bad, yes, and you do get some of it naturally, but you can't cut it out altogether. The CDC recommends an intake of 1,500 mg per day.

Business Businessman

8,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
IX Odysseia IX
Worst thing is they THINK they're healthy. Here's the comparison.

I encouraged my mom to use supplements to help fill that nutrient gap. There's this really great one she's been using and its doing wonders for her. she has more energy during the day. it doesn't even matter what she eats, she knows she's getting her daily nutrition from it. PM for details.

Invisible Shapeshifter

9,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
` Shyado

and finally, remember that YOU moved in with THEM. as much as it sucks, sounds like you're really freaking out and trying to suddenly upstage your stepmom's lifestyle. i can definitely understand why, but changing the way someone lives is difficult, even for someone who wants to change themselves. talk to her calmly about it, and don't be confrontational - people have immune systems for a reason, and nobody's died. the change needs to be gradual, so think of a way you can do that; maybe change one habit a week or something. make sure to tell them it's a way to improve and make their lives healthier; nobody likes to hear that they're living a disaster.

THIS. So much this.

It's admirable that you're putting so much effort into being healthy. But you have moved into someone else's house, and since it's their house, their rules are their call. And while I'm sure you really mean well, you can't change people's minds for them.

What you can do is be a good example and influence. After a while they might grow to see what you're doing as something wise and try it for themselves. But the minute you start pushing anyone, they will push back. In one form or another, they will push back. One of the best ways to make someone stop listening to you is to preach at them, even if what you're preaching is good.

You can always suggest things to people, but you can never change them. Any time a person changes, it's their decision, and their decision alone.

Anxious Human

` Shyado
Apparently the new think is that it's a grain. My mother and I just got into an hour long debate over this. Her last comment was "Well how can they make corn bread if it's not a grain? You can't make bread without grains!!!" emotion_facepalm
Bellyaches Method
` Shyado
Apparently the new think is that it's a grain. My mother and I just got into an hour long debate over this. Her last comment was "Well how can they make corn bread if it's not a grain? You can't make bread without grains!!!" emotion_facepalm
...anything with the right enough gluten, protein and carbohydrate content can make bread; this includes a HUGE breadth of plant matter, from buckwheat, to barley, to corn, etc. it depends heavily on the variation of added ingredients that determine the kind of bread made. it is also possible that corn can be both.

Anxious Human

` Shyado
Bellyaches Method
` Shyado
...anything with the right enough gluten, protein and carbohydrate content can make bread; this includes a HUGE breadth of plant matter, from buckwheat, to barley, to corn, etc. it depends heavily on the variation of added ingredients that determine the kind of bread made. it is also possible that corn can be both.
I know that. But you go try to argue that with my mother and see how far you get.
Bellyaches Method
` Shyado
Bellyaches Method
` Shyado
I know that. But you go try to argue that with my mother and see how far you get.
...well, why argue with her? it's not like you have to always win the argument. if you know the facts, then you know the facts confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff