Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Sex Symbol

My hair is naturally wavy and I hate it so I straighten it every day. I know the heat is bad but so is my normal hair. And plus I dyed it a lot and that killed it. How do I get it healthy again? >.<
I know its hard not to straighten your hair but I often do updo's to keep the heat off of it. I try to use the healthiest products I can find like renpure's original brazillian keratin conditioner (try to avoid shampoo, dries out hair) my hair looks amazing using that. I stopped using anti heat sprays for straightening and am using it's a 10 keratin leave in, that will SAVE your hair too!!

Omnipresent Hunter

Contrary to popular belief, most "products" are s**t. They just affect the outermost layers of your hair, and don't actually make it healthy. They're just a band-aid for hair health.

If you want good, strong, healthy hair again, I suggest washing it less (depending how fast it gets dirty) and changing shampoo brands every couple of months, so you can maintain a healthy oil level. Don't expose it to temperature extremes or a lot of unnecessary chemicals like in dyes anymore. And you could also take a Biotin supplement, which will help your hair, skin, and nail's health.
But for the most part if your hair is really ruined and not just recovering, there's no way to make it better, you'll just have to wait for the new hair to grow in and use the aforementioned products to make it at least look good until then.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Indrah
Contrary to popular belief, most "products" are s**t. They just affect the outermost layers of your hair, and don't actually make it healthy. They're just a band-aid for hair health.

If you want good, strong, healthy hair again, I suggest washing it less (depending how fast it gets dirty) and changing shampoo brands every couple of months, so you can maintain a healthy oil level. Don't expose it to temperature extremes or a lot of unnecessary chemicals like in dyes anymore. And you could also take a Biotin supplement, which will help your hair, skin, and nail's health.
But for the most part if your hair is really ruined and not just recovering, there's no way to make it better, you'll just have to wait for the new hair to grow in and use the aforementioned products to make it at least look good until then.

I just bought some biotin today. I live in one of the hottest states and this might seem like a stupid question, but can the sun's heat have any affect on my hair?

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
I also have naturally wavy hair - I love it, though. I used to hate it because it would be more prone to being frizzy and someone in my family would call my hair "ugly" if all I did was brush it out. I learned to love my hair because it has a beautiful wave and I can get hair gel and scrunch it, putting it in a ponytail doesn't look all that boring because of the waves in it, getting layers in it can look pretty with natural waves, or using curlers without heat overnight or for a few hours can create some pretty curls.

I would suggest experimenting with your hair without heat by perhaps using hair ties for ponytails, braids, etc., non-heated curlers to see if you like what those do, get a new haircut that compliments the waves in your hair more (when I tend to go get my hair cut, I like to ask this and they generally recommend a couple layers that frame the face and 2 or 3 different lower layers. Some hair stylists are jealous of my natural waves because they say 'everyone wants that look' or 'you have natural waves that a lot of girls wish they had'), use hair gel (you can Google a recipe to make your own without the chemicals) to see what you are able to come up with. Just experiment for a little bit when you have some free time and don't have to go anywhere, perhaps get some ideas for hairstyles with wavy hair from Google and try those out if they don't require heat. Most of all - learn to love your hair!

Dying hair a lot can lead to some damage and also heat can lead to damage and when that is paired with dyed hair it may not produce the most pleasant effects.

I would suggest getting a leave-in conditioner to help restore nutrients into your hair and making your hair soft. A leave-in conditioner may also be needed if you have hair that has gotten extremely dry or has a rough, unpleasant texture. Although, some leave-in conditioners may contain unnecessary chemicals that may not be good for the hair so do some research and browse around for a good leave-in conditioner.

Also, invest in a good shampoo and conditioner. Get a shampoo and conditioner that is made with natural oils and herbs that will help repair your hair. Some recommend sulfate-free and paraben-free shampoo's.

You could also try olive oil, or other natural oils on your hair to help add the moisture back if you have dry hair and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes and then rinse it all out in warm water (avoid using hot water on your hair).

If you go swimming, it may be wise to wear a swim cap to avoid the chemicals in the pool from damaging your hair.

Eating foods with omega-3 fatty acids can be great for the hair and skin (omega-3's can be found generally in fish and nuts).

Fruits and vegetables can help improve the health of your hair.

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
Quote:
I live in one of the hottest states and this might seem like a stupid question, but can the sun's heat have any affect on my hair?

Absolutely! The sun = heat. Heat can cause damage to skin and hair. I live in a sunny, dry climate and my hair has problems with being dry.

Omnipresent Hunter

Vibrant Rainbow
Indrah

I just bought some biotin today. I live in one of the hottest states and this might seem like a stupid question, but can the sun's heat have any affect on my hair?

Yes it can. And no worries, it's not stupid.

Fluffy Kitten

8,125 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I know some knowledge about hair. I had long healthy hair down to my ankles.

Excersizing helps, yoga, eating healthy(broccoli, avacado helps a lot), the best shampoos that I had is Joico(but very expensive), and Organix thick and full biotin version(also very affordable and has no sulfate sulfate is very bad for your hair.
And try the organix anti breakage serum or the palmer's coconut oil formula serum, you use it once after you wash your hair, and apply again after you washed your hair again.
Drinking a lot of water is great too.
Avoid combs, they're so bad, try using 100% bristle brush or the tangle teezer brush.
Dont try to wash your hair too often, like once or twice a week is alright.

Also this person knows so much about hair, I learned from her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4RyJMKtTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqIsDZD5b0

Hope this helps you somehow.
Curly hair is great, I have curly hair too, I used to hate it but now I don't, I find it very beautiful and don't straighten my hair that often.Hope this helps you somehow. sweatdrop

6,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
if you want to, you can enhance your wave by braiding your hair the night before, or there are ways to straighten your hair without heat..you can look it up on youtube.

Wash your hairs every 2-3 days. If you have oily hair, on the 2nd day or 3rd day you might want to use dry shampoo or baby powder.

Use deep conditioners once a week, I would suggest you make your own so it's more natural. Google has like a million recipes.

Don't use heat in the summer....the humidity is just gonna ruin your hair.

If you must, use heat protectant before.

Oh and if you go swimming or to the beach, make sure you use leave in conditioner before you go in the water.

Greedy Shopper

10,100 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
Vibrant Rainbow
My hair is naturally wavy and I hate it so I straighten it every day. I know the heat is bad but so is my normal hair. And plus I dyed it a lot and that killed it. How do I get it healthy again? >.<

go to naturallycurly.com
its currently helping me biggrin
the site is about wavy to coily hair
be sure to check it out

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items