Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Sweetheart

15,900 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I usually carry a small stone with me when I have to give a presentation or do an exam. It's always a stone that I got from a friend, who is very clever, he always understood everything (maths and physics) like it was nothing.
I just hope it helps somewhat smile Even if it's just to comfort myself.

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The warmth of my blood as it trickels down my palm from me digging my nails in to them reminds me I am here and now and I will ot let anyone or anything change that
I like to balance my base chakra to feel grounded. I make sure my feet are flat on the ground and then I imagine red cleaning energy flowing from the earth through one leg, up through my base chakra, and then down the other lag back in to the earth.

Eloquent Elocutionist

I don't know if anyone will read this, or if it will benefit anyone, but I just stumbled across this forum and thought I might answer it.

I don't have a specific item or phrase to ground - actually I was thinking of something else entirely when I clicked on this thread. I'm very much an energy person, so grounding for me is to release and bury excess or negative energy. To do this I have the balls of my feet and my hands flat on the ground. I put up my filter to keep the negative out, and focus on pushing the excess away from my body, channeling it into the ground (not releasing it into the air where it's easily taken back in or circulates around the room).

So that's grounding for me, and is sort of on topic because it helps me later by not having so much stress in my body.

Dapper Dabbler

Miinefield
I don't know if anyone will read this, or if it will benefit anyone, but I just stumbled across this forum and thought I might answer it.

I don't have a specific item or phrase to ground - actually I was thinking of something else entirely when I clicked on this thread. I'm very much an energy person, so grounding for me is to release and bury excess or negative energy. To do this I have the balls of my feet and my hands flat on the ground. I put up my filter to keep the negative out, and focus on pushing the excess away from my body, channeling it into the ground (not releasing it into the air where it's easily taken back in or circulates around the room).

So that's grounding for me, and is sort of on topic because it helps me later by not having so much stress in my body.

I read this, and I think this is the perfect spot for this to go!
And I say that because I posted this after a counselor explained what grounding was to me. She made copies from a book of various methods of grounding, and yours was actually one of them! It falls under "physical grounding".

Just thought I'd share!
Great to know that that method works for someone!
Really great to see that grounding DOES work, really. I appreciate everyone's answers!

Eloquent Elocutionist

dizziedobsession

And I say that because I posted this after a counselor explained what grounding was to me. She made copies from a book of various methods of grounding, and yours was actually one of them! It falls under "physical grounding".

Just thought I'd share!
Really great to see that grounding DOES work, really. I appreciate everyone's answers!

Really? That's awesome! I'm always a little nervous sharing stuff like that because to a lot of people it sounds like "hokey hocus-pocus" (and who am I to say whether it is or not?) but it really works wonders for me.

I didn't know counselors shared things like this. What else has she taught you? And thanks for the tip!

Dapper Dabbler

Miinefield
dizziedobsession

Just thought I'd share!

Really? That's awesome! I'm always a little nervous sharing stuff like that because to a lot of people it sounds like "hokey hocus-pocus" (and who am I to say whether it is or not?) but it really works wonders for me.

I didn't know counselors shared things like this. What else has she taught you? And thanks for the tip!

Alright so here's the deal.
I basically got forced into going to that appointment against my will. I hate counseling.
But, since I was there I thought to ask her for suggestions on what to do when I basically get into an irrational state of mind. (The problem for me is that it doesn't work yet, because if I'm in an irrational state of mind I don't WANT to calm down. Hence, the question on the first page about convincing yourself to use it in the first place).
She suggested grounding to me, which, I'd never heard of. She copied two pages for me out of a book she had. (Yours was one of them. Other ideas people have posted here were also some of the things mentioned). I was skeptical, of course. I mean, I thought it could work and all, but so far I've not really had any luck...but again, that's because by the time I think to use it, I don't want to help myself. :/ So that's why I posted this. I wanted to see that it HAS worked for people, and that people do use it! And I wanted to see if there was some kind of consensus on what "methods" (ie physical, mental, etc) seemed to work the best (although I know it depends on the person really).

SOooo moral of the story. Yes counselors know that kinda stuff, and (no) she hasn't really taught me anything else since I have no reason to willingly go back to her.

BUT! (and I will add this in my first post), if anyone would like me to either list more suggestions on the home page (as a sort of resource) OR email them with the documents she copied for me, I typed them up for someone in one of my classes (who struggles with anxiety) and I can easily send them as an attachment via email (or put them into google docs, but an attachment would be easier for me)! Please just let me know!

Eloquent Elocutionist

dizziedobsession

That would be great, actually! I'll PM you with my email, lol.
When I was in high school I would dig my nails into my palms when I would get frustrated. My nails were too long back then for me to be doing that. Eventually, I trained myself out of it but I'm still working on find the right way to calm myself down when I'm falling apart.

So far, when I feel myself getting overwhelmed I try to concentrate on something difficult I did in the past. Something I made it through and paid off in some way. Still not perfect.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm tempted to try the one where I carry a stone of some kind.
I'm interesting in this as it seems it can be applied to a lot of things. For example, trying to achieve a certain grade in school. If you can maintain the mental image and the future outcomes it would help motivate you and help you commit to something.
Also, I tend to use that method of working through a detailed experience whenever I feel nervous or anxious while doing a task; breaking it down in my mind really helps set things straight and keep me at ease.

Dapper Dabbler

Igorina
When I was in high school I would dig my nails into my palms when I would get frustrated. My nails were too long back then for me to be doing that. Eventually, I trained myself out of it but I'm still working on find the right way to calm myself down when I'm falling apart.

So far, when I feel myself getting overwhelmed I try to concentrate on something difficult I did in the past. Something I made it through and paid off in some way. Still not perfect.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm tempted to try the one where I carry a stone of some kind.

Hopefully some suggestions pop up that are useful to you! smile
I do have that document floating around if you would like it sent to you, as well.

3,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Grounding is an important part of Wicca, so I'm doing it more when I'm thinking about religioous things... But my favorite method is thinking of me layingg on a river and to feel every bad energy on my body be cleansed by the water. After that I'm always wonderfull and my mind is clean, so I'm ready to take a good decision.
I have trouble with grounding myself, I get anxious and upset when thinking about things in the future and the past. I think this could be helpful, it sounds similar to one some told me about. also I think meditation would be good for grounding.

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
Not even gold and silver can

Huh- I think that I ground on a daily basis, and I just never really knew what it was that I was doing until now. I usually imagine my thoughts as little motes of energy, and imagine pulling them all in, and focusing them into a ball... almost like taking millions of snowflakes, and making them into a snow ball. What made me want to do this? I have really bad adhd, and it's hard to focus... but this imagry helps me to focus, and function without medication.

break the two of us...

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hematite. Because it's so heavy for it's size, it gives me the impression of drawing down to the ground. I carry some with me when I think I'll need it (I have a few social anxiety disorders). It's great for quick grounding reminders.

But for more serious grounding, I imagine being compose of energy, and letting it sink into the earth and refresh itself and clean itself. Like fresh spring water.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games