Welcome to Gaia! ::

My weight went up and down a little bit. When I was 12, I started gaining weight, and by the time I was 14, I was pretty chunky, about 130 pounds which doesn't sound like a lot but I looked pretty chunky. I stopped growing and now I'm about 5 foot 3. When I was 16, I went on a crash diet and weighed 104 pounds.

The one thing I absolutely loved about myself was my neck area. I had a swan neck and a beautiful thin jawline ^-^
User Image
User Image

About two years ago, I kinda let myself go. I went up to 173 pounds eek I remember when I got on the scale and saw that number, I put my foot down. Even though I'm 24 now, I'm about the same bodyfat/structure I was when I was 14 and at 173 I was the heaviest I'd ever been. I'm dieting (slowly and carefully this time) and exercising daily. I've lost over 20 pounds this summer, I'm at 149 this morning yay, but I noticed that my double chin isn't going away =[

It's the same as it was since I weighed 173 pounds, even though I'm still a little on the heavy side and my goal weight is 125. The thing is, my swan neck is back which I'm thrilled about, but the stubborn double chin just doesn't want to go away.

Here's what my jawline looks like now, sorry for the messy room.
User Image
User Image

So is a double chin just one of those things where once you get it, it's there forever... or do I just have to crash diet my way back to 104 pounds to get rid of it again? Can I hope for the double chin to go away by the time I get to 125 pounds? Are there exercises I can do to help get rid of it?
I can relate to what you're going through. I just recently realized how heavy I'd gotten and I have the EXACT same thing. I'm 5'3 and I'd hit 158 before and had a chin and as I lost weight my face and that part of my chin DID thin out. I think of it this way, if I can gain weight there I can lose weight there.
At your age I wouldn't worry about it.
Just keep doing what your doing and the chin should dissipate as your weight does.
smile
-JLM

Newbie Explorer

I really like your profile in your pic (where you look like your in a restaurant). The shape is very nice.

As you lose weight your "double chin" should slowly go away.
Drink a s**t ton of water and cut whatever else you drink from your diet.. Works.

Enduring Phantom

My roommate complains about the same thing. I think she's crazy! xD; your chin looks fine and perfectly normal to me.

HimeKeesho's Wife

Yes you just need to lose a little weight. My mom said 10 pounds makes your face slim down including the chin.
It honestly doesn't look that bad, I mean, you have to have some under the chin! Unless you want your chin the sink in.. lol

Intellectual Explorer

I would barely notice it unless I deliberately stared at it... which would be creepy.
Laffee Taffee
My weight went up and down a little bit. When I was 12, I started gaining weight, and by the time I was 14, I was pretty chunky, about 130 pounds which doesn't sound like a lot but I looked pretty chunky. I stopped growing and now I'm about 5 foot 3. When I was 16, I went on a crash diet and weighed 104 pounds.

The one thing I absolutely loved about myself was my neck area. I had a swan neck and a beautiful thin jawline ^-^
User Image
User Image

About two years ago, I kinda let myself go. I went up to 173 pounds eek I remember when I got on the scale and saw that number, I put my foot down. Even though I'm 24 now, I'm about the same bodyfat/structure I was when I was 14 and at 173 I was the heaviest I'd ever been. I'm dieting (slowly and carefully this time) and exercising daily. I've lost over 20 pounds this summer, I'm at 149 this morning yay, but I noticed that my double chin isn't going away =[

It's the same as it was since I weighed 173 pounds, even though I'm still a little on the heavy side and my goal weight is 125. The thing is, my swan neck is back which I'm thrilled about, but the stubborn double chin just doesn't want to go away.

Here's what my jawline looks like now, sorry for the messy room.
User Image
User Image

So is a double chin just one of those things where once you get it, it's there forever... or do I just have to crash diet my way back to 104 pounds to get rid of it again? Can I hope for the double chin to go away by the time I get to 125 pounds? Are there exercises I can do to help get rid of it?

Firstly, congratulations on losing 20 lbs this summer. *High five*

Secondly, you're already doing everything right to reach your goal. Gradual changes to your eating and exercise habits really is the key to successful weight management. The crash diets of your youth probably did more harm than good by messing up your metabolism and making it harder to lose weight later in life. But it's not impossible! Just keep doing what you're doing.

Your goal weight is 125 lbs. That's a difference of 24 lbs compared to your current weight. You will absolutely look much different to how you do now. Heck, even a loss of 5 lbs is noticeable in most people so imagine the difference you'll see with almost five times that weight loss! Just remember that the generally agreed healthy maximum weight you can lose is 2 lbs a week so you're looking at around 12-14 weeks to reach your goal. Stick at it.

You can't spot reduce problem areas. Face fat (the cause of a double chin) can be particularly stubbon, but reduce your body fat and it will disappear. Guaranteed. It's not one of those things that sticks around forever. Anyone who claims they can't lose theirs simply isn't doing the necessary work to shift it. It's important to remember you are doing the work. You just got to be patient.

There are some things you can do to improve your face fat loss results. The link below provides some useful guidance.

http://www.fatburningfurnace.com/blog/how-to-lose-face-fa

Good luck, and come back to show us your new jawline when you reach your goal.
I've been told that you can't "spot reduce", like I want to lose weight in my face, thighs and lower stomach, but you can't just choose to lose the weight there, you have to keep working out etc to keep losing weight and hopefully you do lose it in the places you want.
I did see a woman once in a parking lot though, and she had a nice body (from what I could see) but she had a double chin..
Yours really doesn't seem bad, at all, so just keep up whatever you're doing and hope for the best. Possibly try to Google double chin exercises (I've done that before and found somethings but.. I'm lazy so..)
Laffee Taffee

Honestly, when you start getting in shape and losing weight, It starts showing results in your face, and the smaller parts of your body first.
Honestly you do not have a double chin. That's ridiculous. You just have a small healthy amount of fluff there. But as i said, it will go away quickly.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff