Welcome to Gaia! ::

Frozen Fairy

i am tired of listening to them complain about how hard it is for them to eat. The can't eat 3 things: wheat, barley, and oats; and they make it out like it's the end of the world. It's an intolerance, not an allergy, so they won't die.

I have FODMAPs intolerance/Fructose malabsorption.
As a result I can't eat:
beans, lentils, legumes
nuts
whole wheat
oats, barley
agave, maple syrup, hfcs, concentrated fruit juice, cane sugar, sucrose, sucralose
apples, peaches, pears, mango
onions, garlic
squash
root vegetables: potatoes, turnip, carrots, parsnip
and due to mineral deficiencies associated with my intolerance, I can't eat dark leafy greens like spinach and kale, or else I will become copper deficient.

Yet for some reason, I have an easier time eating than these gluten-free folk, even though I also can't eat wheat, barley, and oats.

The following chain restaurants have foods I can eat:
Red Lobster
Swiss Chalet
Nando's Chicken
St Hubert
Any sushi buffet
McDonald's
Mucho Burrito
The Keg
Montanna's
Kelsey's
Casey's
Denny's
Basically any restaurant that specializes in meat or seafood

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Well, if they have celiac disease then it really can be a massive issue depending on how severe it is. It's the people who go gluten-free because they think it's so much better for their bodies that get on my nerves. If you don't have a legit medical reason to not consume gluten then you don't need to go gluten-free. There's also an issue of cross-contamination in restaurants. It's kind of why we don't go to restaurants that specialize in seafood: my sister gets sick from eating seafood.

All-in-all, though, if you do a bit of research on gluten-free diets then you'll realize that it really is hard for them to eat. It's not actually as easy as you seem to think it is.

And it really isn't a result of an intolerance. People with celiac disease, the ones who really should be on such a diet, will end up triggering an immune response to the gluten which causes inflammation in the small intestine and causes malabsorption, which can lead to weight loss, bloating, and diarrhea. Depending on how long it goes on for, it can also cause problems for other vital organs such as your brain, your liver, the skeletal system, and the nervous system. Plus it can cause problems with growth and development in children. All that sounds like it's much worse than a mere intolerance or even an allergy.

It's amazing what you can find when you actually look up the information. Although I got most of that from the Mayo Clinic website.
Maybe they are just ignorant of how to adjust their diet. No need to be annoyed.
            @ ICICLE WEAPON

I hear this a lot as well.

The thing is, all the people I've had complain to me about this RL never even realized that I also don't eat gluten [or dairy] until I pointed it out. As the OP has mentioned, a gluten-free diet is incredibly easy to manage. Personally, I just buy whole foods [meat, vegetables, fruits] in the first place, and don't have to worry about a thing.

Something that Kariel pointed out though should be noted. A lot of people have no clue how to adjust their diet accordingly. There are so many fads and diet trends allegedly geared toward gluten-free individuals that only serve to complicate things. Many of those processed foods that claim to be gluten-free may be so, but they're packed with so much other crap that they're still not honestly healthy. Yet due to advertisements and other trends, there are a lot of people who need [or desire to live by] a gluten-free diet who genuinely believe that the only way they can live with such a restriction is by eating foods specially crafted for them. Another issue is with replacement foods - instead of say, wrapping a sandwich with a broad leaf of kale or lettuce, most people trend toward gluten-free bread. A third problem is restaurants. Of course, through the plethora of diners available and all their own menu options, there is availability, but in some cases there aren't. I live in a tiny community with one bar/restaurant; out of its three-page menu there are only two things that are both gluten- and lactose- free, and therefore fine for me to eat.

I think it's more an issue of people being geared toward an all-encompassing diet in the first place, in combination with fad diets making things confusing for undereducated persons.

icicle weapon

Lady Kariel

Frozen Fairy

Honey of the South
Well, if they have celiac disease then it really can be a massive issue depending on how severe it is. It's the people who go gluten-free because they think it's so much better for their bodies that get on my nerves. If you don't have a legit medical reason to not consume gluten then you don't need to go gluten-free. There's also an issue of cross-contamination in restaurants. It's kind of why we don't go to restaurants that specialize in seafood: my sister gets sick from eating seafood.

All-in-all, though, if you do a bit of research on gluten-free diets then you'll realize that it really is hard for them to eat. It's not actually as easy as you seem to think it is.

And it really isn't a result of an intolerance. People with celiac disease, the ones who really should be on such a diet, will end up triggering an immune response to the gluten which causes inflammation in the small intestine and causes malabsorption, which can lead to weight loss, bloating, and diarrhea. Depending on how long it goes on for, it can also cause problems for other vital organs such as your brain, your liver, the skeletal system, and the nervous system. Plus it can cause problems with growth and development in children. All that sounds like it's much worse than a mere intolerance or even an allergy.

It's amazing what you can find when you actually look up the information. Although I got most of that from the Mayo Clinic website.

But that's what my disorder does to me, except instead of just gluten, it's anything with fructose, and certain types of fibre(FODMAPs). I also get the malabsorption, to the point where I cannot eat any leafy grean because the oxalic acid will put me into a nutrient deficiency. Such as, one day I ate kale, the next day I was having muscle spasms, black outs, and extreme mood swings from copper deficiency. Though my worst constant nutrient deficiency is zinc to the point where I will eat a pound of oysters and still not be normal
My diet consists of seafood(finfish, mollusk, and the occasional arthropod), beef, chicken, eggs, turkey, celery, peppers, pineapple, citrus fruits, kiwi, tomato, broccoli, blueberries, iceberg lettuce, olives and the occasional bit of cheese, and everything else I am intolerant to.

So when a person complains to be because they can't eat gluten because they get diarrhea, it's extremely annoying. Because I can't eat oats, or beer, or a muffin without getting sick either; but I also can't eat healthy foods like apples, beans because I am intolerant to that.

And despite this, I seem to have an easier time finding food to eat than these whiny-a** gluten-free folk. Wheat, oats, and barley aren't even good for you anyway. How hard is it to make a steak and a salad? It takes like 5 minutes!
If you have celiac disease it is a major problem!!!

People getting into it as a fad diet are a bit annoying but its a real problem.

You say it's just 'wheat' but there are so many things that are cross contaminated with it. You have to watch out for caramel colouring in things because it might be made out of barley. They can have oats but they need to make sure they are made in a wheat free facility. Same with almost every other thing on the shelf... if it doesn't specify that its wheat free then its better off to not even eat it. If you have celiac's and you don't eat gluten free... you are pretty much killing yourself.

Yes you have your own health issues and you can't eat a lot but that doesn't mean its fair for you to say how 'they annoy you.' You should be offering tips and tricks, helping them, giving them ideas for food that they can it. In a world where so many things are processed the mere change of diet is hard enough.

Enduring Sex Symbol

I've been doing the "meat and veggies" thing for about two years now. Easiest change I ever made.

Maybe the best too. ninja

Enduring Sex Symbol

Love-Struck Llama

You say it's just 'wheat' but there are so many things that are cross contaminated with it. You have to watch out for caramel colouring in things because it might be made out of barley. They can have oats but they need to make sure they are made in a wheat free facility. Same with almost every other thing on the shelf... if it doesn't specify that its wheat free then its better off to not even eat it. If you have celiac's and you don't eat gluten free... you are pretty much killing yourself.

Yes you have your own health issues and you can't eat a lot but that doesn't mean its fair for you to say how 'they annoy you.' You should be offering tips and tricks, helping them, giving them ideas for food that they can it. In a world where so many things are processed the mere change of diet is hard enough.

Most celiacs can't (or shouldn't) have coffee either because it has substances in it that are so similar to gluten that the body reacts to it in much the same way, thus causing damage. "Cross-reactivity" this is called, and there are actually a fair number of foods like this that cross-react with gluten. mad
I am confused. What CAN the op eat? They cant eat fructose, they cant eat leafy greens, they cant eat beans or tons of different fruits or vegetables...lol....Like what can you eat? You named off like one thing in every food group.....Except meat. Also reading up on this "foodmap" diet its optional. Giving up fructose isn't but giving up all that other stuff you named according to the websites on this subject "foodmaps" are optional for ur own digestive comfort and no where does it state u will drop dead if you eat this stuff, just that its harder for you to digest.

Frozen Fairy

As dead as dead can be
I am confused. What CAN the op eat? They cant eat fructose, they cant eat leafy greens, they cant eat beans or tons of different fruits or vegetables...lol....Like what can you eat? You named off like one thing in every food group.....Except meat. Also reading up on this "foodmap" diet its optional. Giving up fructose isn't but giving up all that other stuff you named according to the websites on this subject "foodmaps" are optional for ur own digestive comfort and no where does it state u will drop dead if you eat this stuff, just that its harder for you to digest.

um, well that's the same as Gluten-intolerance.

But now, I have Fructose Malabsorption, which means anything with fructose in it will cause me to vomit/diarrhea, and stomach cramps. It creates bacteria in your gut that will inhibit the absorption of iron, zinc, and folate(though thanks to the high glucose and folate content of oranges, I have never been folate deficient). Though, if not put on a strict diet, I remain zinc deficient to the point where I lost half my hair, never made it past 100 pounds(I'm mid 20s), have messed up periods, and weird autoimmune disturbances, such as I will have random allergic reactions(like I will randomly be allergic to nuts for a month, and then it will randomly disappear. Or I spent a week allergic to strawberries).

FODMAP is a fibre that is a fructan chain, so, since I have fructose malabsorption, eating 1 gram of a fructan fibre is like eating 2 grains of fructan. So for instance, I accidentally ate a cookie with flax in it, 1 hours later I was vomitting uncontrollably.

My diet now is high in fresh meat, fish, and eggs. And I eat celery, peppers, tomatoes, pineapple, oranges, lemons, limes, olives, broccoli, cauliflower, iceberg lettuce, passion fruit, arugula, kiwi, and sometimes I can tolerate bananas, corn, chayo, cheese, small amounts of yellow/white onion, butter, plums, rutabaga(raw), carrots(raw), and pomegranate. I can also eat vinegar, so I use that a lot in cooking.

Frozen Fairy

1-800-OMG-STFU
Love-Struck Llama

Most celiacs can't (or shouldn't) have coffee either because it has substances in it that are so similar to gluten that the body reacts to it in much the same way, thus causing damage. "Cross-reactivity" this is called, and there are actually a fair number of foods like this that cross-react with gluten. mad

I can't eat coffee or cocoa for some reason, but I've yet to figure out why.

Frozen Fairy

1-800-OMG-STFU
I've been doing the "meat and veggies" thing for about two years now. Easiest change I ever made.

Maybe the best too. ninja

It's so easy. That's why I don't understand why they have such a hard time with this.

Meat is so easy to make. You get a fast-fry steak and it takes 5 minutes.
Vegetables don't even need preparation for the most part. You can just bite into them and eat them.
And unless you're going to a vegan/vegetarian restaurant, at most restaurants you can usually just order meat and veggies. And if it comes with a sauce on it, you can request they don't put it on.

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
Even my dietitian teacher says that people who are non-celiac/not gluten sensitive and go gluten free are reducing their diet is a bad way. Wheat and similar products do not really harm you, and the "gluten-free" versions of foods are typically worse than the regular version.

Lonely Lunatic

I'm sorry, I really love some of those things you can't eat.

I hate people who eat meat but b***h about animal cruelty and could never kill and butcher an animal if givin the chance.

god nuts are so good.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces