Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Prophet

Hello I've always had noodles for arms, they're weaker than most people's and somewhat scarily thin (although I eat lots of food, healthy of course). Are there any recommend youtube videos for beginner muscle training? I'm mostly looking for lean muscle, but my goal is to feel stronger. I'll probably do all over muscle work but my arms need the most attention right now.

Some questions I have are:
How heavy should the weights I start out be?
How often should I work out for and how long?

Also I'd like to hear some personal stories of your own training, how long did it take to see results and what kind of work you personally did. 4laugh

Dapper Gekko

I personally like to do blogilates as a post work out sort of thing, and for days I can't go the gym. You'll gain lean muscle tone from it, so I think it would be good as a starter thing for you. ^^

Now, since you don't have much arm strength already, I'd go with 3 lbs, or potentially lighter. Since you want lean muscle, you want to go for reps over weight.
As for work out time, it really depends on you. Since you're just starting though, be careful and don't over do it to the point where you're too sore to work out again the next day or the day after - it means you're tearing your muscles too far and could get seriously injured plus it just slows down the gaining process.

But I'm a tennis player! Well, used to for the high school - didn't get into it too much in college, but I wanted to stay in shape and work on my mile (get it down to around 7 then add another). So I went to the gym every other day or so, ran for about 9 to 10 minutes, then lifted weights. Afterwards I'd go back and do pilates in my room.
Go to Youtube and look up Dana Linn Bailey arm workouts. She's a professional bodybuilder so she has a body that is unrealistic for women unless some serious, serious, SERIOUS time and effort is put into your workout, but she will definitely be able to give you some very good workout routines.

Dapper Codger

1-6 reps for strength. 7-12 reps for muscle. You should be struggling with the last two reps.
3-4 sets.

12+ reps is for endurance, no matter what weight you're using.

Bench and overhead press should be your main two. Add in some skull crushers for triceps and concentration curls for biceps. Eat at a surplus to build muscle.

Add in rows and pull-ups too.

Dapper Codger

And no, you won't build 'lean muscle' instead of 'bulky muscle' by lifting lighter weights and doing more reps. Muscle is muscle. "Lean muscle" is just less muscle and muscle without a lot of fat on top.

Building muscle is hard. Much harder than losing weight, so no, you won't suddenly look like Arnold just because you did one too many curls or you used a heavy weight.
You'd need a ton of steroids for that. rofl

Dapper Codger

My arms look kind of big (ish) in my sig, but if you take a look at my Instagram (link in sig), then you can see that I still look ridiculously puny even after lifting for 8 months.
Lol. xD

Dapper Codger

Also, in the beginning, you'll be very sore. Your muscles aren't used to resistance training. In time, you'll be less and less sore, which isn't a bad thing. It means you're not undertraining. : )

Dapper Darling

F u j i b e r r y

I'm also a fitness beginner and was looking through these threads for tips
Just creeped all over your instagram

GOD DAMN YOU LOOK GOOD. eek emotion_bigheart

I'm going to write down the fitness regimen you suggested and do that to keep up with fitness in college (free campus gym whoot whoot).

Keep up the good work. 3nodding

Dapper Codger

Harlequin Hearted
F u j i b e r r y

I'm going to write down the fitness regimen you suggested and do that to keep up with fitness in college (free campus gym whoot whoot).

Haha, thank you so much! heart :>
I go to my campus gym too. It's an 8 minute walk from my new place. Lol. So convenient!

Dapper Codger

Harlequin Hearted
F u j i b e r r y

Also, if you google: You want to start lifting? Fujiberry
Then a thread on MyFitnessPal should pop up on the first page. I listed a whole routine there along with some programs should you want them. Other users have also posted links to helpful videos and such on the first & second page. : )

Dapper Noob

Look up StrongLifts5x5, Starting Strength, and LiveFit Trainer. Those are the best beginner programs I know of. 5x5 is my favorite.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff