Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay... I took ballet from age 3 until 13. When I hit puberty I shot up to 5'8" and started developing curves. I began to have body image issues, being surrounded by these tiny, dainty girls in my dance classes and my teacher made things a lot worse when she quite callously informed me that I was too tall and too big to be a professional ballerina. I ended up quitting and giving into my unhealthy self esteem, drowning my sorrows in food.

I spent the next 7 or so years overweight and unhappy. I did some dance in high school, but it's so hard to get back into it. Finally, this last semester I took a beginning ballet class for my P.E. credit and rediscovered my love for dance. I decided that it was time to go back and accomplish the thing I always regretted most about quitting-- I'm going to strive to go on pointe. I've signed up for the next ballet level as well as the contemporary class and I'm using this summer to hopefully get in good enough shape to take the pointe test.

In addition to using running, swimming, and yoga to build overall muscle strength, flexibility, endurance, and burn off some weight, I'm also doing a lot of strengthening exercises for my feet and ankles. If any of you have suggestions on additions to my regimen, let me know. I've included it below.

Monday/Wednesay/Friday:
- 45 minutes of lap swimming
- Eleve sequence (10 each in parallel and 1st-5th, then 10 each in plie 1st-5th, 10 each in coupe and passe)
- Ankle lifts and toe lifts, sets of 30, three sets
- Pointing and flexing feet with resistance bands, sets of 15, three sets on each side
- beginner yoga and stretching to wind down

Tuesday/Thursday:
- 2-5 mile run
- Eleve sequence (10 each in parallel and 1st-5th, then 10 each in plie 1st-5th, 10 each in coupe and passe)
- Ankle lifts and toe lifts, sets of 30, three sets
- Pointing and flexing feet with resistance bands, sets of 15, three sets on each side
- beginner yoga and stretching to wind down

Magical Miko

9,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Hero 100
Props for doing what you love! heart
Faythei
Props for doing what you love! heart

Thanks! heart

Dangerous Lover

14,575 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
I found this website that you might want to check out:
http://www.adult-ballet.org/index.html

ShakeZor's Waifu

Big Trash

This is really awesome but please watch out and make sure you're taking care of yourself. Your health and body love is more important than being a professional ballerina. Good luck 3nodding

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
I did ballet in 1st and 2nd grade and I want to return to ballet too (mainly because the kind of dance I want to learn requires ballet training first). I did tap dance in 3rd and 5th grade as well as jazz in 4th grade, but dance in elementary school was done at a rec center (they recently stopped offering dance).

Have you looked at any dance studios near you that offer adult ballet classes? If so, ask in advanced if you can sit in on a lesson. If you like what you see from that studio, see if you can join in the middle of their sessions (some places have sessions that last for a few months). If you can, learn what you need to wear for ballet (yeah yeah, ballet slippers, leotard, tights, maybe a hip alignment belt. How you wear your hair is also dependent upon where you go. Usually your hair should be in a bun or in a ponytail). At the dance studio near me, different classes have different color leotards you must wear (for example, pre-ballet level one for kids ages 6 to 8 years must wear a lilac leotard while level two pre-ballet must wear a light blue leotard. There's a dance shop connected to the studio, but there may be specific shops that you may be referred to). Also learn the dance studio's rules and policies (like no hanging earrings or other jewelry).

Since you are an adult beginner, do not worry about your weight being heavier than the professional ballerinas (some of them use unethical means to stay skinny). My dance instructor for my rec dance classes was not skinny. She was a larger woman.
TigerLilyChick
I did ballet in 1st and 2nd grade and I want to return to ballet too (mainly because the kind of dance I want to learn requires ballet training first). I did tap dance in 3rd and 5th grade as well as jazz in 4th grade, but dance in elementary school was done at a rec center (they recently stopped offering dance).

Have you looked at any dance studios near you that offer adult ballet classes? If so, ask in advanced if you can sit in on a lesson. If you like what you see from that studio, see if you can join in the middle of their sessions (some places have sessions that last for a few months). If you can, learn what you need to wear for ballet (yeah yeah, ballet slippers, leotard, tights, maybe a hip alignment belt. How you wear your hair is also dependent upon where you go. Usually your hair should be in a bun or in a ponytail). At the dance studio near me, different classes have different color leotards you must wear (for example, pre-ballet level one for kids ages 6 to 8 years must wear a lilac leotard while level two pre-ballet must wear a light blue leotard. There's a dance shop connected to the studio, but there may be specific shops that you may be referred to). Also learn the dance studio's rules and policies (like no hanging earrings or other jewelry).

Since you are an adult beginner, do not worry about your weight being heavier than the professional ballerinas (some of them use unethical means to stay skinny). My dance instructor for my rec dance classes was not skinny. She was a larger woman.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm a bare-bones beginner since I did ballet for 10 years. Just rather out of shape and since I'm signed up for two intermediate classes at the behest of my ballet teacher from last semester, I'm trying to get in better shape so I won't die in those classes, lol.

Shameless Lunatic

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
WOW! Very inspiring! I danced when I was young as well, it can be difficult to find classes (and afford them) but there are a lot of tutorials online!

Go you! heart

Aged Gaian

That's so great! Ive always wanted to do ballet, but it was just too expensive when I was younger. I'm now 20 and finally got the courage to sign up for ballet level 1 at my college! So its never too late!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff