Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Nerd

9,100 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nerd 50
Mesoshy
Good luck smile I'm a smoker so running ain't my thing.

But I should also add that I am going to quit soon. If I can. Trying is step one.

Running step 2 lol

It's hard to quit-- I've been there! I went cold turkey & relied on some DumDum lollipops whenever I had a craving. Just remember-- 3 days and it's out of your system! smile
okay, first off i'm going to apologize for the
extremely long post, but everyone gets quoted at
the same time. haha. so they will often times be
long. hope nobody minds. c:
(if ya'll do just let me know)

so, we're going to start with me. because it makes
things easy. sorry I've been away for a few days.
had to do some 'spring cleaning', family visiting, random
out of town trips, and stuff. enough of that though, let's
get to the le update shall we: i only flubbed up once
this week. ended up eating a single breakfast burrito from
mickeys. felt really, really terrible about it when i realized
that i had done it an hour later (which isn't uncommon for
me) but it helped the nausea that i was feeling at the time.

oh, but the bonus no soda for the week was a success!

now for this week's goals: the goal card says that i
am going to do yoga 3x this week + another 1 hr. workout
3x this week + keep up the good stuff from last week. c:
looks like i'm getting physical this week! pretty excited about it.
15 weeks to go

now to responses:
Cold Youth

don't really have any recipes outside of salad.
although, chopping up veggies and doing a stir fry with them
is pretty good. at least in my opinion.
sorry to not be super helpful though.
Hinkel

awesome sounding marathon. i know you can do it! c:
good job on avoiding the triggers. staying away makes
things easier (at least in my experience). good idea not to
go to hard but to keep going. you will accomplish it. how
is everything coming?
Black Lust Perfume

great progress so far! sounds awesome indeed. it is awesome
that you are taking advantage of that good gym pricing. that is
fabulous. with the progress and the changes that you have made
so far your goals are totally within reach. just got to keep moving
towards them. c:
welcome aboard!
Engimatic Phantasm

good song and recipe you shared up there. c:
yea, it was awesome. thanks for the encouragement. similar
situation happened a couple more times this last week but it had
the same outcome. c:
yea, i guess so. but if we keep working at it, we will overcome and master
the discipline thing. achievements seem to be working for me
this week so that is a plus. glad they work for you too. those little wins
are so motivating. it's like you can do this so keep going and do better.

good that you are keeping it up even though you aren't seeing the progress
physically yet. i read somewhere that it takes 4 weeks for you to see
progress, 8 weeks for close fam. and friends, and 12 for everyone else.
not sure how accurate that is but if you keep going you will start seeing
the progress!

thanks. soda is like a downfall although, like i mentioned up top. didn't
have a single one this week. c: hope staying away from those sweets
is working out for you! the fact that we've stayed away for so long in the
past is going to be on our side, like you said. we've done it before and
we will be able to do it again!

that would be pretty awesome indeed. although, i don't have a job so i
have to deal with what the fam. wants to buy to. however, this week the
fam. decided to buy lots of fresh fruit and i got some protein/power bars
(because they taste good too). so i think some of my little success might
be rubbing off but not all the way... at least not yet.

how has the rest of this week went for you? awesome i hope! c:
Izan-Oen

i was able to check in during my absence and that little quote totally
popped in my head during a couple of the mini-success this week after
i read it. put in on my motivation wall. (just a poster than I've decided to
keep and add things that keep me motivated when i almost falter).

i like that line of thought. i think that is part of why i chose to do it this
way instead of just setting some long term goal. i want to feel accomplished
in the short term too. c:

apparently, i'm doing both physical and diet changes. i honestly can't
remember all the goals i set for myself (and don't want to peek) but this
week said i was getting physical. haha.

how are things going for you?
Pixelated Dust

welcome! you're avi is spiffy (just to throw it out there)
awesome on the progress already! that is really great!
good goals set too. i know you can reach them if you keep working towards
them. a 5k? any particular 5k in mind? i'm thinking about doing one this
summer. I've heard that zumba is really good exercise. glad that you are
enjoying it. there isn't any classes near me otherwise i would try it out too.
Ringo Sleauth

i'm doing pretty fabulous. last week went awesome and i'm stoked for this week.
how about yourself? also, welcome to the thread!
asthma really sucks. I've got it as well. just means you'll have to build up
endurance to do some things. it takes time but is totally possible. (:
we can beat the asthma together!

yoga is awesome. i'm going to vouch for that. it feels great to stretch the muscles.
plus, it helps with posture and flexibility which i love. but mostly i love that
it helps clear the mind (especially in a quiet space with incense and stuff, at least
for me) i say give it a shot and see if it works for you. c:

as for the dieting/recipes stuff. i'm not personally doing a diet but i am
making changes to my diet. i've started with cutting out all candy and
most junk in the same category as well as fast food and soda. this seems to
be helping a lot already. i've also added some more fresh fruit (since the fam.
bought it). i think the additions you've added so far with dark greens and fruit
are awesome! not sure about any recipes though. what kinds of foods do you
like to eat? that might help jog some ideas to share. also, if your wallet isn't being
healthy food friendly something else you can try is watching portions. some things
seem like you are in control when in fact the portion is much smaller than you think.
(like ramen noodles. those little packages are actually two servings) instead
of focusing on switching out foods all at once with a wallet that doesn't
cooperate just try to be very aware of what you are eating and work with that.
hope that helps some.
Mocaspan

hope things are going well for you! welcome to the thread.
you can totally reach your goals! c:
i don't have any suggestions on scales. i rarely weigh myself and when i do
i just go into the doctors office and use theirs because they are cool with it and
it is free. not really sure what the differences between the digital and needle is
other than the obvious. whatever method you choose, i recommend only using that
specific one. because scales fluctuate. one could say one things while a different
one says another at the same time. so, once you decide just stick with it. c:
at least that is my suggestion.
Open Fire52

welcome! glad you came out of lurk mode to join us. c: awesome that we have
motivated you as well. looks like the thread is doing what it was intended for.
(at least that's what i get out of this.)
although, it might not seem like much, that is an awesome success! it's the
little wins like being able to do more push-ups than when you started that keeps
the fire burning. c: you can totally reach your goals! just keep moving towards them.
Splendiforous Lexinator

thanks for dropping in. (: i am just getting into the fitness thing so i'll probably
throw some questions at you some time. thanks for offering up the advice.
mesoshy

when you are ready you'll be able to! you can do anything you put your mind too.
it will be tough but like pixelated dust said three days and it is out of your system.
the mental will be hard for a little while after that though. still you'll be able to!

Bashful Nerd

9,100 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nerd 50
smutty cannibal prince

welcome! you're avi is spiffy (just to throw it out there)
awesome on the progress already! that is really great!
good goals set too. i know you can reach them if you keep working towards
them. a 5k? any particular 5k in mind? i'm thinking about doing one this
summer. I've heard that zumba is really good exercise. glad that you are
enjoying it. there isn't any classes near me otherwise i would try it out too.

Thanks for the avi compliment! Your avi is very fun! hehe

There was a 5k I was hoping to sign up for in May in one of our parks around my area buuuuut I don't think I'm quite ready yet. I'm too addicted to Zumba at the moment to hop up on the treadmill.

I actually don't go to Zumba classes (yet) I use my Wii U!

Enigmatic Phantasm
I hope you can stick with it. The impressive thing right now is that you're trying to do better. For a start, that really is enough. You'll keep getting better as you go along. Lots of people let their dreams and good habits just fall by the wayside and never really pick them up again. Giving up completely is the only real failure. For what it's worth, I'm super impressed.

That's definitely a good start to the endurance! I've never trained for a marathon and probably never will, so I'm not sure what a good starting point is. But hey, you're just starting again. It'll be super impressive for you to run a marathon at all. 3nodding

Well, I'm making an honest effort. I've been working out two or three times a day with the hopes that I'll be reasonably prepared for the marathon. It's just practically impossible for me to find the time. I'm working full time, working on renovating my brother's basement, watching my nephew and trying to get back into the dating world. If I get five hours of sleep a night, I'm happy with that.

Right now I'm just lifting mostly, trying to build up some muscle. When it comes to cardio, I either use the treadmill or do jumping jacks while I watch some Cowboy Bebop or something. I ran cross country and indoor/outdoor track for twelve seasons in high school, I don't have the strongest knees and ankles. I'm just trying to find low impact cardio exercises and being indoors is nice as well, working up a sweat when it's below freezing outside isn't exactly the best way to stay healthy.
Tomorrow's swim workout!

--200m warmup--
then stretch, 25 pushups

--5x50m--
any stroke
rest 30 seconds between

--5x100m--
any stroke
rest 30 seconds between

--1x500m--
any stroke
25 pushups, long rest (5 min)

--5x50m--
any stroke
rest 30 seconds between

--5x100m--
any stroke
rest 30 seconds between

--1x500m--
any stroke
25 pushups
long rest (5 min)

--200m cooldown--
25 pushups
stretch

I <3 this workout, it helps so much for when I go running. after doing this about 3 times in 2 or 3 weeks, the lungs are really open, so the only thing that really holds you back is your leg strength. So you get that up, and do this, and eventually you become suparunnah smile
Hinkel
Enigmatic Phantasm
I hope you can stick with it. The impressive thing right now is that you're trying to do better. For a start, that really is enough. You'll keep getting better as you go along. Lots of people let their dreams and good habits just fall by the wayside and never really pick them up again. Giving up completely is the only real failure. For what it's worth, I'm super impressed.

That's definitely a good start to the endurance! I've never trained for a marathon and probably never will, so I'm not sure what a good starting point is. But hey, you're just starting again. It'll be super impressive for you to run a marathon at all. 3nodding

Well, I'm making an honest effort. I've been working out two or three times a day with the hopes that I'll be reasonably prepared for the marathon. It's just practically impossible for me to find the time. I'm working full time, working on renovating my brother's basement, watching my nephew and trying to get back into the dating world. If I get five hours of sleep a night, I'm happy with that.

Right now I'm just lifting mostly, trying to build up some muscle. When it comes to cardio, I either use the treadmill or do jumping jacks while I watch some Cowboy Bebop or something. I ran cross country and indoor/outdoor track for twelve seasons in high school, I don't have the strongest knees and ankles. I'm just trying to find low impact cardio exercises and being indoors is nice as well, working up a sweat when it's below freezing outside isn't exactly the best way to stay healthy.

if you're lifting for a marathon, I would suggest keeping the weight low, and doing larger sets of exercises, 15-30 reps. You don't really wanna bulk for your marathon. Honestly, the best thing i've ever done is lunges. Doing 3 or 4 sets of 100 yards of lunges really gets ya feeling it, but once all the leg jigglies go away, you'll be feeling like you have superlegs!
Ringo Sleuth
Hello. How is everyone doing today?
My name is Angela, and I've got a few fitness goals of my own. So, here we go.

I'm 5'2, and currently weigh in at 140lbs. I'd like to be down to somewhere between 110-120lbs, as it seems that should be healthier. However, if I'm working with lean muscle I'm not worried about the poundage so much. Mostly it's belly fat that I am trying to get rid of.

Aside from this, I'd like to get down to around that so that I can be healthier as I'm trying to get pregnant.

I would also like to slowly work my way up to a point where I can get a hold on my asthma. It has been one of my biggest hurdles, since whenever I work out for very long I have trouble breathing. I want to start swimming at least one or two times a week, and make it more often as the months start getting warmer. I'm also going to start trying to go on nightly, or at least bi-nightly walks around the circle I live on (Which is exactly half a mile, so if i walk it twice, that's a mile a day.) I'm also looking into yoga, though I don't know when I will have the money for classes.
I'd like to steadily work this schedule up into more as I go along, and as my airways permit.
I would love it if anyone has healthy recipes to share with me that are slightly budget friendly. My husband and I are just starting to bounce back from serious financial problems. I LOVE fruits and vegetables, but often times we can only afford them on payday, as they don't always keep.

I would suggest stinkers, and they are called stinkers cuz they are kinda hard!

so you get a field or sidewalk or something thats anywhere from 60-100 yards, depending on fitness level. get yourself a stopwatch that has an interval timer, there are also apps. so you sprint from one side to the other, and have your app set to repeat every 15 seconds. So You go from one side to the other in 15 seconds, then you have to jog back in 45 seconds, and however much time you have left when you get back is how much time you have to rest! That gets your lungs back, and I would suggest doing lots of lunges, 3 or 4 sets of 80-100 yards maybe 3 times a week for 2 weeks before doing this, so that then your deficiencies in this exercise would be the lungs not the legs.

For recipe's, some might disagree with me, but I would think you would want to go with high-carbs. this is because you need to up the intensity level of your workouts, and you need the energy. The only flaw to that is that when you get lazy and don't workout, the pounds come up.

My favorite has been spaghetti, honestly. Mine though is the best. You use whole-wheat spaghetti (not thin! the regular size) and boil that. For the sauce, get a thing of ground beef (big things could be $4, the nicer ground beefs up to 7) and put it on the skillet. When its all brown, drain the grease, and add only tomato paste (my favorite has italian herbs mixed in). Then add cilantro leaves, which you buy fresh usually for $1. Add your seasonings, Which should be oregano, salt, pepper. I'd buy a bag of salad and cheese and croutons to make a nice salad to go with it, my favorite sauce being the one from olive garden they sell for $5. The dinner should come out to around $10, assuming you already have salad stuff. The dinner should last awhile if you're a leftover eater.

For breakfast, a cliff bar/ other bar should be good with a glass of milk and carnation mix, and get your multivitamin and fish oil in the morning too.

Dapper Kitten

thank you all for the suggestions! ^-^

I've been bad and haven't worked out in the past few days sad been feeling really down and stressed out....I'll wake up early and do tomorrow's workout!!

Benevolent Fatcat

I'm a little late to check in here, but I am still alive! My update: I did not do pretty much ANY of my goals while I was away. Nope. Conventions tend to be crazy AND I was visiting an old friend I haven't seen in years, so... I averaged about three hours of sleep per night. Add that to nearly two days of travel because of switching planes and driving and what have you... It was nuts and totally unhealthy. I'll still send a small donation to someone for last week because I started the week so strong, but this week I need to kick myself in the pants. ^^; Out of curiosity I weighed myself when I got back and I still weigh 110. It's good I haven't gained weight, but I certainly haven't lost any. I'm not scheduled for another convention or anything else like that for another couple of months, so I should be able to establish some solidarity. I have to work up to 4 mile runs!

Pixelated Dust

Hello everyone :3!

I'm down to get fit with you guys!

I'm 25, female 5'5" 146lbs. My starting weight was 160lbs -- 35 days ago! Wooo! My goal weight is 130. I want to get tight and toned. I love Zumba!

My reason for losing weight is I bought lots of awesome nerdy gaming shirts last year.. and all of them don't fit right anymore! I also battle depression & digestive system issues. Since I began losing weight, those issues are less and less of.. an issue!

I'm also doing c25k. I'd really love to run a 5k someday! I wish I had some buddies near me to go jogging with but :c alas I do not.

Nice to meet you all!

That is super impressive that you've lost so much so quickly! And in a healthy way. Keep it up! You're awesome! I also battle chronic depression and exercise really really helps. smile Welcome!

Ringo Sleuth
Hello. How is everyone doing today?
My name is Angela, and I've got a few fitness goals of my own. So, here we go.

I'm 5'2, and currently weigh in at 140lbs. I'd like to be down to somewhere between 110-120lbs, as it seems that should be healthier. However, if I'm working with lean muscle I'm not worried about the poundage so much. Mostly it's belly fat that I am trying to get rid of.

Aside from this, I'd like to get down to around that so that I can be healthier as I'm trying to get pregnant.

I would also like to slowly work my way up to a point where I can get a hold on my asthma. It has been one of my biggest hurdles, since whenever I work out for very long I have trouble breathing. I want to start swimming at least one or two times a week, and make it more often as the months start getting warmer. I'm also going to start trying to go on nightly, or at least bi-nightly walks around the circle I live on (Which is exactly half a mile, so if i walk it twice, that's a mile a day.) I'm also looking into yoga, though I don't know when I will have the money for classes.
I'd like to steadily work this schedule up into more as I go along, and as my airways permit.
I would love it if anyone has healthy recipes to share with me that are slightly budget friendly. My husband and I are just starting to bounce back from serious financial problems. I LOVE fruits and vegetables, but often times we can only afford them on payday, as they don't always keep.

You have some great goals. Asthma definitely makes it harder. Even walking is such a great start though. As for yoga, have you looked into videos? There are some pretty good ones out there. As a matter of fact, if money is an issue, you should check out your local library for exercise videos. Sometimes you can turn up some pretty good stuff, and it can help you find out which things are your style before you go spend money on it.
I have a whole slew of healthy recipes! What sorts of things do you like? A lot of it does depend on taste, but I can share a few of my personal favorites:
Black Bean Mole and Coconut Couscous: a lot less complicated than it sounds. Contains chocolate AND cinnamon and is still really good for you. A vegetarian dish and potentially vegan, and super delicious!
This whole recipe is so gorgeous, simple, and delicious that I could die.
One of the best soups ever.
I try to eat lots of protein and a good mix of fruits and vegetables. I also try to keep things as minimally processed as possible, but I recognize that isn't always feasible. I search pinterest for good healthy recipes sometimes.
Hope this is a good start!

Mochaspar
Oh this thread sounds fun! I didn't think Gaia would have a section for forums like this!

Right now I'm around 5'2 and 160 pounds, I'm hoping to get to 130-120~ by april. I started a beachbody program about 30 days ago and and focused on eating cleaner right now and weening myself off junk! I haven't weighed in yet though...maybe I'll do that on "Stat-urday" lol!

Welcome! Sounds so great that you're working hard already. What program are you doing, out of curiosity?

open fire52
After lurking on this thread for a few days I guess it's my turn to post.

Hello, my name is Levi and I've gone through my recent years giving my body little care regarding exercise and healthy eating. I'm also a bit of a video game addict, which keeps me sitting still for extended periods of time. I'm still young so I can get away with it but I know it wont last and I've been feeling a drive to get healthier and leaner. A bunch of random acquaintances have really helped me get the motivation to try and better myself among my college studies.
I'm just about 6' tall and starting out a little bulky at (last I checked) 185 or so pounds... I mainly want to get rid of this puffy package that has attached itself to my belly. I've also wanted to build a little muscle but I don't want to look anything like the hulk... just slimming down while keeping my "I can move your furniture" strength.

Thanks to this thread I've been super motivated to really make progress, and have been working on Squats, push-ups, curl-ups, and walking (I run out of breath when running). I started being unable to do more than one pushup, and I just now tested myself and found out I'm up to 10! Nothing extraordinary but it feels good to know I've improved.

So yeah, I'll keep hanging around here and reading all your wonderful stories. I don't really have any goals or dates other than to try and workout every day until I figure out a schedule for myself... Which means I may 'borrow' one of yours if that's alright with you~ whee

Welcome, and thanks for posting! I'm glad you've decided to make some steps toward physical improvement. It's so great when you start out being unable to do much and just a couple of weeks later you can do a lot! (I can still only do like 15 pushups right now, myself. :B) I'm excited to see what goals you choose and what progress you make. This can be such a great year for you. 3nodding

smutty cannibal prince

so, we're going to start with me. because it makes
things easy. sorry I've been away for a few days.
had to do some 'spring cleaning', family visiting, random
out of town trips, and stuff. enough of that though, let's
get to the le update shall we: i only flubbed up once
this week. ended up eating a single breakfast burrito from
mickeys. felt really, really terrible about it when i realized
that i had done it an hour later (which isn't uncommon for
me) but it helped the nausea that i was feeling at the time.

oh, but the bonus no soda for the week was a success!

now for this week's goals: the goal card says that i
am going to do yoga 3x this week + another 1 hr. workout
3x this week + keep up the good stuff from last week. c:
looks like i'm getting physical this week! pretty excited about it.
15 weeks to go

good song and recipe you shared up there. c:
yea, it was awesome. thanks for the encouragement. similar
situation happened a couple more times this last week but it had
the same outcome. c:
yea, i guess so. but if we keep working at it, we will overcome and master
the discipline thing. achievements seem to be working for me
this week so that is a plus. glad they work for you too. those little wins
are so motivating. it's like you can do this so keep going and do better.

good that you are keeping it up even though you aren't seeing the progress
physically yet. i read somewhere that it takes 4 weeks for you to see
progress, 8 weeks for close fam. and friends, and 12 for everyone else.
not sure how accurate that is but if you keep going you will start seeing
the progress!

thanks. soda is like a downfall although, like i mentioned up top. didn't
have a single one this week. c: hope staying away from those sweets
is working out for you! the fact that we've stayed away for so long in the
past is going to be on our side, like you said. we've done it before and
we will be able to do it again!

that would be pretty awesome indeed. although, i don't have a job so i
have to deal with what the fam. wants to buy to. however, this week the
fam. decided to buy lots of fresh fruit and i got some protein/power bars
(because they taste good too). so i think some of my little success might
be rubbing off but not all the way... at least not yet.

You're making great progress! Little slips are okay. They sometimes serve to just help us refocus, and that's always a good thing. Overall it sounds like you're really doing great. Way to be! Thanks for sharing. :3 It's really cool that your family bought some healthier things over the week! Maybe you can really be a good influence on them and help them out too. That is a pretty sweet motivating factor too! I hope I can influence the people around me to be healthier, too.

Hinkel

Goodness that is intense. o_o I'm amazed at how much you are doing! I'm really impressed that you're doing so much of everything right now. Most people feel pretty cool if they do just ONE of the things you're attempting, and you're doing all of them at once! I hope you're happy and feeling good about yourself. I'd feel like a rockstar if I did all of that. I hope that you manage to run your marathon to your satisfaction, but I'm super impressed that you're even going to try. It sounds like you're really pushing yourself. Be sure to take it easy sometimes too!

Dapper Kitten

Enigmatic Phantasm

im doing focus t25!

Dapper Codger

Haven't posted since the first page. I fail. xP
Hello to everyone!

Familiar Shade

7,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Kreiois
Hello to everyone!

Hello! What're you working out tomorrow?

mluck24

Wow thats quite the feat! All the best for your workout, friend!

Dangerous Werewolf

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
mluck24

Yo! I like the idea! This month, I started swimming and have seen a vast improvement in appearance. Basically lost 3/4 off my waist, triceps grown in size as well as gaining definition. Rib Cage seems to come back to being visible (that is a double-edged sword, both good and bad).

Instead of doing sets, I go for the whole Buffet. I started out doing 40-Laps in the (25-ft lane, 50-ft lap, 33-laps = 1-mile) pool and I just recently started doing 50-Laps.
Boy, I am feeling it, but it is working like crazy.

Also, for everyone, my progress kinda dropped, and my project is a bust. I am still working-out but this Katy Perry - Hot & Cold song is not doing me no justice. Hot one day, cold the next and my body became all jacked-up. Hopefully the weather will gradually warm up so that everything can return to normal. On top of that, I am feeling a bit under-the-weather. I hope my little Vitamin-C warriors redouble their efforts or I'm gonna go and provide them with reinforcements of additional C-Warriors and the Vitamin-A-Team.

Yea, I am wearing myself down but I am less than two weeks away from the goal.

Dapper Codger

Cold Youth
Kreiois
Hello to everyone!

Hello! What're you working out tomorrow?

Today is leg day! I was away at a convention this past weekend and only managed to work out once, so my my split is a little different this week.
Pretty excited. I've been seeing some nice progress over the last 2 months. smile

Bashful Nerd

9,100 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nerd 50

Idk about you guys but I'm trying to sweat buckets today. Aww yeah!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff